Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today my new Hobie (Trailex) single kayak trailer and Pro Angler cradle set came via FedEx. It took about 3 hours total to assemble it and was very easy following the PDF instructions on the included CD.

Basic hand tools are all that's needed, mostly a 9/16' combo wrench and a steel tape measure. The alignment pencil marks were already put there by the factory, but I double checked them anyway.

The only little kink, which was easily taken care of with a cordless drill and a 3/8" bit, was the mounting holes in the cradle set are only 5/16" and the t-bolts provided with the trailer hardware are 3/8".

I may also decide to replace the incandescent lighting with the newer LED lights in the future, but the incandescent lights that came with the trailer seem to be pretty good quality.

On the test drive behind my Wrangler it tracked well and didn't need any adjustments on the axle alignment.

My PA is still pending shipping, so I haven't had the chance to check how well the cradles fit the kayak, but overall I'm satisfied with the trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is that the SUT 200? Where did you order that from? Will you store the PA on the trailer? What is the speed rating on the trailer?

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe the speed rating on any trailer with 8" wheels is only 55mph, but it looks like there is more than enough room to mount 12" high-speed ones if you want to tow the trailer any long distance. You can get 12" tires/wheels at Walmart for about $60 each, ready to mount. I live on the northern-tip of Stockton Lake, MO, so I don't plan to tow mine too far. ;)

I bought the trailer from Austin Kayak: http://www.austinkayak.com

I have only praise for these people. The first one came last Wednesday, but the axle ends were damaged. I emailed their CS with a few photos of the damage and they shipped out a new trailer the very next morning. The replacement trailer came along with FedEx return labels for the old one. Most companies would make you wait until they received the return item before shipping the replacement one.

I'm not sure about storage yet because I haven't actually received the PA. I'm waiting until Austin Kayak gets the Olive one's back in stock. If the PA sits firmly on the trailer cradles, I don't see any reason it can't be stored on the trailer long term.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I have read the other posts talking about the storage on pvc along the scuppers/troughs and was wondering if it could be set up to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For the past 2 years I have kept my PA on the trailex trailer (stored in the garage) and have had no issues. Nothing but the seat is left in it.

I fish a lot and have traveled all over NC to various lakes with no issues there either. Meaning I have traveled up to 3 hrs each way, hitting speeds of up to 70 + mph (where allowed of course)

Just make sure to check everything beforehand (tire wear, pressure, lights, hub grease etc.) and make sure to carry a spare tire and tools!

Also, the customer service department at Trailex has been awesome to deal with and I find that parts (if/when needed) are reasonably priced.

Best of luck with your purchases!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

joeyb, first congrats on such a well maintained garage. Wow!

Is that the Hobie cradle on your trailer? No issues with indentations? And are those the 8" tires or did you replace? And does it come with the front brace as shown on your picture? Very nice.

Thanks for the information. Still no PA yet but hope to have it in a couple months or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jaxjag wrote:
joeyb, first congrats on such a well maintained garage. Wow!

Is that the Hobie cradle on your trailer? No issues with indentations? And are those the 8" tires or did you replace? And does it come with the front brace as shown on your picture? Very nice.

Thanks...you should see the other side...lol

I was lucky enough to find (Craigslist) and purchase this trailer from a gent that was using it for a canoe. It had padded bunks/cradles attached to cradle holders. Had to purchase the Crossbars from Trailex and the Cradles from Hobie. Pretty sure I was one of the first to add the PA Crossbars to an existing SUT-200 trailer. Because they only supplied (2) mounting brackets with the CB's and after a few (back and forth) conversations with them, was able to convinced them, it needed (4) per crossbar.

Anyway, as long as you do not store anything else inside the PA or leave it tied down to the trailer...there should be no indentations created from sitting within the cradles and on the trailer.

Tires: use the 480 x 8 tires...no issues to report.

Front brace: (Bow stand) I am pretty sure it comes with the kit...but you might want to double check directly with the dealer before purchasing.

Also, for those inquiring minds...Trailex contact info:

Trailex Inc
1 Industrial Park Drive
Canfield, Ohio 44406
Phone: 800-282-5042
Fax: 330-533-9118
Local: 330-533-6814
Email: [email protected]

No, I do not work for them! ; )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How come your garage is so clean and orderly? It's not natural. :o :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joey,
How are the Hobie cradles held onto the crossbars? Does the crossbars have "T" bolts that slide in slots?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atavuss wrote:
Joey,
How are the Hobie cradles held onto the crossbars? Does the crossbars have "T" bolts that slide in slots?

Yes, t-bolts slide in, then you use steel washers and nuts to secure the cradle. The self-sticking pads that come with the cradles cover the nuts, so make sure the cradles are in the correct position on the trailer before installing the pads.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The purpose of the 8" wheels is to reduce the bouncing of the trailer and boat. Hobie technicians told me that the 12" wheels will cause excessive bouncing of the trailer and is not good for the boat. Don't know if this is true but it's what Hobie told me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Larger diameter tires actually reduce "bouncing" and provide a smoother ride for several reasons. One of which is that the larger the diameter the more easily the tire will roll across instead of down and into small depressions and potholes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

picklcat wrote:
The purpose of the 8" wheels is to reduce the bouncing of the trailer and boat. Hobie technicians told me that the 12" wheels will cause excessive bouncing of the trailer and is not good for the boat. Don't know if this is true but it's what Hobie told me.

This is from Trailex directly - we refer all trailer related technical questions to the builders - if you need trailer info or are concerned about wheel size please call them directly- http://trailex.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If that came from Trailex, then they are misinforming. Some things to consider;
1. 8" wheels are referred to as 'bearing burners'. Those little tires spin at a faster rate than a 12" tire. At freeway speeds, the bearings will fail sooner. Not only do they spin more revs, those revs are at a faster speed. An 8" rim spins 60% FASTER than a 12" rim. 12" wheels would be spinning at 28 revolutions per second and 8" wheels would be spinning at 42 revolutions per second at 60 mph.

2. The 12" tire tread will last much longer than the 8" because of the same issue as the bearings, speed of tread contact with the road but also due to the curve of the patch contact area and the more times the patch point is in contact with the ground.

3. The 12" tire will require you to back further down the ramp. On shallow ramps, it would probably cause the tow vehicle's rear tires to even go into the water. If you can lower the bunks on the trailer to make up for the taller profile tire, that might help.

4. The tires come in many different sizes. It's possible to get an 8" tire with a diameter of 18.5" with the 5.70x8" tire. It's possible to get a 12" tire with a diameter of 20" with the 4.30x12" tire.

5. Air pressures listed on the sidewall for maximum loads are unrealistic for a trailer bearing only a kayak. By lowering the pressure so the sidewall can flex as it does when at it's optimal load weighting, the tire will absorb many bumps and still perform in a safe manner.

6. A taller tire is going to float over road bumps for a smoother ride IF it's inflation is not set so high that there's no sidewall flex.

7. Some trailer fenders won't fit a 12" wheel if it was built for a 8" wheel. Especially if you exercise the suspension. The 12" tire could hit the underside of the fender made for 8" wheels and cause damage.

8. Wheel size can affect the towing angle. Make sure you keep the trailer level when towing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I asked Trailex to comment on this post - here is their reply:

"We have been using the 8" wheel and tire combo since 1963! It works, why if you add 12" or larger combo's the light weight of the trailer and the boat at speed will bounce. It is like a basketball effect, I always tell our customers put the larger tires on and when it bounces uncontrollable at speed you will go back to 8" so don't throw them away.

I can't argue the fact that they look too small but when we get NO problems with them its hard to have a comeback."

Carl Carbon
National Sales & Marketing Manager
Trailex Inc.
1 Industrial Park Drive
Canfield, Ohio 44406
(Toll Free) (800) 282-5042
(Local) 330-533-6814
(Fax) 330-533-9118
(Email) [email protected]
(Web Site) www.trailex.com