Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI Push pole?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For chasing reds on the flats or just getting around in areas too shallow for the mirage drive.

Seeing as how you can literally walk around on an AI, seems like a logical thing to have.

So, has anybody made their own? I was going to do one out of PVC, but I read that it is too flexible.

Has anybody made their own? How long and of what material?

Post subject: Re: AI Push pole?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry a Hobie stakeout pole. It's also useful as a push pole (blunt end down) and as a shark prodder (sharp end down). An aluminium extendible boat hook will also do the trick if you want to stand up like a gondolier.

I guess you know you can use the Mirage drive in very shallow water by "fluttering" it.

Last edited by chrisj on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use a $10 Avery marsh foot and closet lumber from hardware store for my duck boat. The long wooden handle = floating pole

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Avery-Marsh-Foot/productDetail/Waterfowl-Accessories/prod70882/cat100374

Last edited by LarryJ on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
I carry a Hobie stakeout pole. It's also useful as a push pole (blunt end down) and as a shark prodder (sharp end down). An aluminium extendible boat hook will also do the trick if you want to stand up like a gondolier.

I guess you know you can use the Mirage drive in very shallow water by "fluttering" it.

Yea, "fluttering" the drive works *ok* but it takes a bit of concentration to constantly remind yourself to not try and make full strokes. Also you have to keep the rudder down for control, which is also dragging at this point. I also like to have the rudder up when fishing on a flat or shallow water, because a nice fish WILL at some point run under the boat, and if the rudder is down the fight is over.

I like the idea of being able to stand up, chiefly because when I'm on a flat looking for red fish.. Im LOOKING for red fish, so there is the obvious benefit of standing.

Best I can figure a 12' pole should be sufficient, considering I will be using it in 2' of water or less, and I'm 6'1" that gives me enough to reach the bottom and have enough pole left over for flexibility in placement.

I'm doing freshwater tomorrow so no need, but next weekend I'll be back in the salt and will have *something* created by then. Will see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why does the rudder need to be fully down when using the mirage drive? When in shallow water, I raise the rudder to horizontal. This leaves the leading edge of the rudder immersed which is more than enough to steer the TI carefully through the shallows. The only time that I have found 'fluttering' the mirage drives to be inadequate, is dealing with a strong (20kts+) cross wind with the mast up. At this stage, I get out and walk the boat!

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have tried to make my own but if you are in muddy areas there is only one type that works. I use a duck bill push pole end and I add it to a fiberglass tree trimming pole. These poles are extendable and are very sturdy. These ends can be bought for $10-$20 and the poles are about the same. Mine's bright yellow so I can't misplace it...

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nicnrob wrote:
Why does the rudder need to be fully down when using the mirage drive? When in shallow water, I raise the rudder to horizontal. This leaves the leading edge of the rudder immersed which is more than enough to steer the TI carefully through the shallows. The only time that I have found 'fluttering' the mirage drives to be inadequate, is dealing with a strong (20kts+) cross wind with the mast up. At this stage, I get out and walk the boat!

The boat is very hard to maneuver at low speeds with the rudder only partially down and dragging the bottom. Trying to wrestle with the rudder in shallow water while trying to also sight cast to fish is a royal pain. A push poles gives you more subtle control of the boat and allows you to control effectively it while standing.

I found a telescoping 12' pole at lowes which I have seen referenced on a few other kayak fishing sites Ive look at regarding this. Think I will try one of those out.

Apparently for a soft/muddy bottom what works will is a PVC T fitting cut so that it is cupped.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I got a 12' aluminum telescoping pole and made a "foot" out of PVC, will see how it goes this weekend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have made a few and bought a few, the best one to date for overall versatility is the YakAttack Park-n-Pole - it is lightweight, can be used as a stakeout or a push pole. The handle is notched, so it can be used as a lure retriever in shallow water or from over hanging trees, it also has a comfortable handle with a centered hole for attaching a lanyard and the best part - it FLOATS!!!!

YakAttack Park-n-Pole

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, it was a total bust :(

The pole worked admirably, but the AI did not want to cooperate. With the rudder up and sail rolled up the boat has a severe propensity to weather helm BAD, even in a 5mph wind I could not keep the boat straight to save my life.