Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

after reading about fellow forum members solving floppy akas with double bungees, i decided to try it myself.
my front akas now have 3/8 bungees with tubular nylon sleeves to reduce UV deterioration. I also made them MUCH tighter.

my rear akas have a much different and involved method. using the screw in pad eyes, i drilled a hole, and inserted the oem Hobie bungee. in addition to the oem bungee is tubular webbing. one end is doubled over and run though itself. the other end is zip tied together. the oem bungee is inside the webbing and the webbing pulled very tight

have yet to try it, but very excited...

cheers,

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kayakman,

I really like your idea of experimenting with the tubular nylon sleeve. It should provide both an additional layer of UV protection and possibly even chafe protection. What are your observations?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finally had the boat out and got to test the new bungees.

They were bomb proof in light weather with lots of boat wakes, but the real test will come when I try it in some heavier weather.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have only had my new TI for a month but already found the bungee on the armas is stretching far too much as well as most of the other bungee has stretched and lost it's tension.
I am mostly sailing in windy conditions 15 to 20 knots is common and Ihave been in 25 to 30knots on the way home from a long trip.

I might have to try your idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

it's actually two ideas. one is merely a thicker bungee with a suncover and the other is the stock bungee with webbing tightened up to provide some (maybe all) resistance to movement.

not sure which will work best. i haven't been out in the sort of weather that stresses them yet.

they are both exceptionally tight, i never remove them. i need a lever to encourage the bungees into place.

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks kayakman7,
Yes I see on having a closer look at your photos, that you have only needed to replace the screw-in plugs to loops on the rear. These things take a long time to get hold of over here in West Aus (several weeks) and if I needed 8 (to replace all the plugs) there would be 50 bucks or more.

I thought about using rope to replace bungee but see that it needs at least some flex in order to turn as the arma folds in.

I also noticed on my last sail that it is mainly the front end of the arma that is coming loose when I have it up out of the water. Last Sunday afternoon, I went for a quick sail with my son in 20 to 25 knot afternoon sea breeze, there was swell of about 2m (6 feet) and waves or wind chop of about 0.5 to 1.m (2 to 4 feet). I had the outriggers out of the water for a lot of the time and almost lost the front of one when the bungee stretched so far that the arma pulled part way out and stuck there as a big wave came through. We came in at that stage.

So I am now thinking that the semi rigid tube with bungee through (like you have on the rear), might be my best bet for the front.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had several opportunities to use the TI in bigger waves and more wind and I've found that either method works superbly well. I haven't heard the ama's bounce since I changed the mountings.

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Georde - You don't need to buy more srew in fittings just rearrange the many you have. I don't use half the fittings supplied.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For now, you can pinch the padeye fittings off the front and rear of the amas, but it's good to have them there as well as potential tiedowns.

Clear hydraulic tubing works great to cover a single bungie line. Even surgical tubing.

I have found that using redundant bungee lines, each going to a separate Aka retainer post is a safe and reliable way to keep the floats on your boat. One bungee can be detached for easier folding.

While your at it, you might try adding one of those nylon strap loops that hobie supplies on their paddle holder side bungees. They act as bungee pull tabs and will make quick work of stretching the Ama bungees, without crushing your knuckles. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I added the second bungees to the original fittings. I stretched the original bungee to make it thin. I then looped heavy (50#) fishing line through the hole and then back again the capture the new bungee. I then pulled hard and popped the new bungee through and tied an overhand know and trimmed. Then placed the knots so they both would fit. Seven more times and I was done.

Just watch your knuckles when the new bungee pulls through the hole as the fishing line pulls free leaving your hand to go flying into anything within range. :o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Different strokes for different folks.

Here's what I came up with.
I've been using a "double loop system" for several months now and I'm very pleased with it. My Amas don't budge and there's no more banging. It's a simple and easy upgrade to make, looks very clean and basically I'm using exisisting parts. To engage, I simply lift the shock cord over the lower Eyelet Post, then the upper one. When I'm not sailing I take them off so they don't get stretched out. It works great!

The first thing I did was pop-rivet a second Eyelet Post (Part # 41220001 to my forward Akas. I spaced them identically to the Eyelet Posts on the rear Akas. I unscrewed my forward End Fitting (Part # 71115001) from the Ama and drilled out the center hole with a 11/32nd's bit.

(Note: If your TI came with 5/16th's shock cord you won't have to drill it out). My 2011 came with 1/4" shock cord, but with only one loop, neither are strong enough keep the Amas from bouncing up and down with any kind of wave action; very annoying. :x

I then cut a piece of 5/16th' shock cord 24 ½" long, knotted the end, pushed it back through the forward End Fitting and screwed it back into the Ama. I replaced the rear End Fitting with a Eye (Part # 71116001), ran the shock cord twice through the loop of the Eye, into a 32mm Parrel Rope Stop and put a knot on the end.

Looks like this:

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another great way...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby,...

Very Sly solution Sun E! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob, Nohuhu, Thanks glad you like it.

You know in the last year or so, we've all benefitted greatly from reading articles about how we're trying to solve this particular problem. Folks like you, Stringy, Yakass, Roadrunner, KayakingBob, Kayakman and several others who freely contribute their knowledge and expertise is all well appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=30065&p=122622&hilit=double+bungee#p122622

I'm sure I must have had some of these previous ideas kicking around in the back of my head when I came up with this solution. I just like the simplicity of it and it works.

I'd be curious to know what the design engineers at Hobie think about it though. Might they consider implementing it in their production line or offering the necessary parts as a repair kit.

Matt, Jbernier what do you think?

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sun E sailor wrote:
I just like the simplicity of it and it works.

What you said sEs!
That is such a clever solution. Brilliant! 8)