Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Matt.
I thought that might be the case. I guess I'll just have to cut down the existing trailer cradles.

Tonystott,
What Honusail said!
Actually the dolly cradle looks to have a bearing area about twice that of the trailer cradle and has stronger supports. The Hobie dealer just rang to say my TI cradles have finally arrived so that's what I'll be using.
BTW- you're right about the cradles being adaptable :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40346

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have posted questions about the TI carts available, none of which can do the job properly. I have the H/D scupper tube cart and have had the hull replaced due to the cracks around the top of the tubes.
At that ime I purchased one of the new TI dolly carts and found out it was way to big to sail with and was too painful to contend with so it was returned.
I have adopted a swivel wheel in the front mirage drive hole and this with the H/D cart used in the rear scupper tubes seems to work a treat when at home. Pain in the ass when launching and retrieving so I revert back to the cart in the forward scupper tubes.
I am hoping Hobie is hard at designing a managable and effective solution!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well I got my new TI just before Christmas and a set of cradles to mount on the roof-rack on my 4x4.
I did not get the TI dolly cart as they did not have one in stock. I really did not want to spend the money without seeing what I was getting first.

Cradles are showing signs of cracking after three weeks of continuous use bolted securely to my roofrack. I hope the dolly cart cradle is a bit more solid.

I also tried the Hobie Trax-2 cart from my AI and it struggles under the weight of the TI. I used it to cart the hull only without armas or any rigging and that worked OK.

So I went and bought a set of fat beach wheels (from Anaconda in Western Australia) they are copies of the Wheeleze wheels. I also got a large flat hardwood board and solid galvinised steel 16mm axle to make my own cart with the cradle. This worked really well till the cheapie copy wheels decided they did not like the heat in West Aus and it was only a 30 degree C day not over 40 like it is today.

Now I am thinking that I should have waited for the Hobie dolly. I still have not been able to see one in the flesh or even see a photo of how they look or if they are well made.

I am concerned that the wheels will not handle the heat over here on a hot day if I wheel the cart down a bitumen pathway (hot black aspelt seems to melt plastic wheels).

Last edited by Geordie on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can view the cart in our catalog - just click to download, view page 26
Link: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... l-2011.pdf
You'll find all our catalog request on the support page, as well as all other things tech related: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/products/kayaks/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a set of the roof cradles and so far have no issues with them, (touch wood). I have had one of the new dolly carts and they are made really well, can use beach or the pavement wheels. The trouble I had with it was the ability to stow the cradle after launching, it won't fit in or on the TI and just asking for it to get nicked if you leave it on the shore and to painful to cart back to the car each time. :|
The scupper cart supplied by my Hobie dealer is not designed well because of the weight of the TI, I have had the scupper tubes crack around the top and I have never stored it on the cart.
I think Hobie needs to lift their game, they have done an amazing job with the Kayaks, I cannot fault them. The transportation from car top to water is a real issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
stringy wrote:
Matt,
Is Hobie looking at doing a more portable scupper type cart for the TI?

We considered doing a cradle for on top of the plug-in cart until we went forward with the TI dolly with cradle. We have not gone back to the plug-in concept due to concerns about loading hassle and still potentially causing damage to scupper tubes. The Dolly is the recommended way to carry the TI now.

The recommended way to carry the TI is not at all practical for those of us who car top them. I am on my second hull (replaced under warrenty) due to the stress on scupper tubes from plug in H/D cart, common problem. Matt haven't Hobie on this occassion released something to solve a persistant problem and caused more! Most people have the plug in carts and on this occassion Hobie scapped plans to improve it and release the dolly cart. I have had one of these for a whole day, I didn't even assemble it becuase I realised it was too big for the way I transport my TI.
I am concerned at quote " The Dolly is the recommened way to carry the TI now"
I know if the cart cracks the scupper tube again Hobie will replace it for me, I have every faith in Hobie and its products. I thank Hobie for giving me a sport and the enjoyment for my whole family.
I am doing everything I can to protect the hull I just wish Hobie would share my passion and revisit the plan to improve the scupper cart.
Cheers
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys:
I hate to burst everyones bubble, but I think everyone is on the wrong track as far as TI carts are concerned.
Instead of modifying the cart to work on the boat, it is much easier and cheaper to modify the boat to fit the standard carts. I know several who have spent thousands of dollars on carts trying to transport their TI's. The new huge hobie cart that you cannot fit onto the boat is not a solution in my opinion.
I too have wrecked a hull trying to pull the loaded TI out of the water (8 ft, 'near level sand beach'). After that incident I studied the design and came up with a easy and and cheap solution which uses any of the existing carts (which all of us already bought).
If you look inside the hull on the TI's you will see floatation foam installed inside the hull over both sets of the scupper holes.
What I did with the rearmost scupper holes was take a 1/4 x 3/4 piece of aluminum (or 1 inch wide if it will fit in between the seat peg bosses) between 2 and 3 feet length and slide it in over the foam through the hatch (going in between the seat bosses inside the hull). On the rear scupper you slide the aluminum in through the center hatch (it doesn't hurt to arch the aluminum slightly). You then go into the rear hatch and measure the distance between the top of the foam and the rear deck (where the live well goes), this was around 1 inch on my boat. Now what you do is put a 1 inch thick board about 15 inches long and 3-4 inches wide sideways (near the back of the foam) to distribute the load over as wide an area as possible (the board is on top of the aluminum). Just shim between the alum and the board if it ends up loose (I used pressure treated wood). I have done many launches and landings with a fully loaded boat now with no fear of damage. I only use the rearmost scupper holes with the fully loaded boat.

Of course the front scupper holes can be re-enforced the same way, but I am now gun shy after wrecking one hull, and only use the front scupper holes on the hull only. I use the standard HD cart (which is easier to load and unload in the water).
Another mod that I did was to push some 1 inch class 40 PVC tubing into the scupper holes to re-enforce the scupper holes themselves (hobie is now doing this on most of their line of boats (starting with the revo 11)).

I hope this helps everyone

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Bob,
:?: Sounds like a good fix but my problem is I find it much easier to use the forward scuppers especially when getting the TI off the car. I simply have the nose of it on the ground on a camp mat and while the rear is still on the car I am able to plug in the cart using the locking pin. The rear scupper holes are to far back and I am unable to get the cart in at this point.
I to have had a hull replaced because of the cracking around the top of the scupper tubes, what has me a little worried is Matt saying the new dolly cart is
Hobie's recommended way to transport the TI.
Lets face it, it is much easier to handle the TI using the forward scupper tubes and the H/D cart, if you use the rear scuppers you either need a swivel wheel which I have made or you be prepared to strain your back. I think Hobie need to reinforce the center section of the hull to enable us to use it as intended.
I am sure they could make a slip in cradel section to fit the scupper carts to distribute the weight and intend it for transportation (short term use) from vehicle to launch.
Still working on something out of wood
Seriously I think Hobie really needs to fix this, I have no doubt they will honour another warrenty if it were to fail again, I don't think anyone would question that, Hobie truely has the best product and customer care I have ever come accross.
I am so excited by my TI because of alot of things one being the ease at which I can use it and then the ease of maintainence and caring for the boat. I used to ride trail bikes, they are polluting money pits and would never go back. But this hull cracking problem is not a one off, the size of the TI makes it suseptable to failing this way. I think it need to be addressed, these are not cheap chinese rip offs.
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,
Good points! 8)

romenfree wrote:
Hi Bob,
Lets face it, it is much easier to handle the TI using the forward scupper tubes and the H/D cart, if you use the rear scuppers you either need a swivel wheel which I have made or you be prepared to strain your back. I think Hobie need to reinforce the center section of the hull to enable us to use it as intended.
I am sure they could make a slip in cradel section to fit the scupper carts to distribute the weight and intend it for transportation (short term use) from vehicle to launch.
Still working on something out of wood

Russell,
I agree.
The convenience of a scupper cart can't be beat and I too was surprised Hobie didn't come up with a TI friendly version. Whilst the dolly cart will suit many it can't be used on narrow launch sites and what to do with it after launching is another issue.
From Matt's response it doesn't look like a TI friendly and portable cart is in the pipeline so DIY is the solution. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
I've nearly finished my cradle type cart and will post pics soon (after testing) but basically I have cut the ama supports off the TI trailer cradle, fitted it to a hull width section of Rhino HD roof rack bar (similar to this:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34910 ) and have bolted it (using wing nuts) to the C-Tug cart. This cart is one of the few that can carry the TI as it has a 120kg rating. It breaks down easily so it can be fitted in the hull. I didn't have to modify the C-Tug at all as there are suitable holes already in the mount pads.

I like to use the scupper cart for launching and a cradle cart for retrieving. Using two carts helps if using the rear scuppers.
The ideal cart would be one that could convert from scupper to cradle easily and I've been experimenting with a scupper cart that uses the cradle for hull support ...but rotates 90 degrees to become a cradle type cart ( the cart uprights become horizontal hull supports). Still a bit of work to go with that though! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are some pics of what I have come up with

Swivel wheel in front drive hole and scupper cart in rear scuppers
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... yak086.jpg
This is how it is stored
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... yak065.jpg
The swivel wheel from the top
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... yak062.jpg
This is the cart in the forward scuppers used when car topping
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... yak069.jpg

Pro's; easy to manouver, no back strain when rolling down the road.
Con's; swivel wheel tricky to insert when retrieving, cannot use when car topping, swivel wheel water rated but I am not sure how long it will last.

I got the idea for the cradle seats from a picture on this forum and it is your idea Bob, thank you just found your post again I must say your version is much better than mine. I have two of these slip over wooden seats, one to suite each scupper position.
I have seen another guy do the swivel wheel using a plastic swivel and a sand wheel, I think it was a little tall as the back of the kayak hit the ground, much lighter set up though and marine proof.
I would much prefer to scrap the lot and purchase a well designed scupper cart from Hobie!

Last edited by romenfree on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you need to save them as bigger pix. Those are thumbnails here

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i was wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like these?

http://www.acrytekplastics.com/wheels/index.php
quoting the site:
Small Roll-In Dock Wheel, 10" Diameter
•For use on Boat Lifts and Docks
•Small Plastic Roll-In Dock Wheel
•Made of durable heavy duty plastic
•Supports up to 400lbs.
•Enables EZ Boat Lift and Dock roll-in
•10" diameter, 6" wide
•Fits on 3/4" shaft.

they are strong, wide, and relatively cheap at $20
they are designed to roll over silt, mud, and sand at much higher loads than we have - 800 lbs!
they could be filled with enough foam to make them float but not so much that they are difficult to install underwater.

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am not sure how they would handle sand? a larger bagged out foot print as in low tire pressure is usually best for sand. They look as if they would just dig in. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been using the TI cradles with a board underneath and an axle for large beach tyres. This works well, but as others point out it is really big and bulky so I leave it on the beach or take it back to the car.

I also just saw a set of these Sea to Summit plug in cart wheels.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/166

They are adjustable for different width scupper holes and nicely made heavy alloy tube. The thing that I do like is that the scupper hole posts are fitted with a big soft rubber cone shaped (Christmas Tree for want of a better description).

This should help spread the load at the base of the scuppert hole, but I doubt that it would prevent the leverage effect on th etop of the scupper as you pull the TI forward on soft sand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

romenfree wrote:
is Matt saying the new dolly cart is
Hobie's recommended way to transport the TI

Yes... we recommend the dolly over the scupper cart for the TI due to shear weight and difficulty people have in installing a scupper cart correctly.

Note: We have been adding scupper reinforcements to all models. The TI is on that list if not yet done.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)