Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I use a “sit-inside” kayak rather than a Hobie sit-on-top. Hope that doesn’t disqualify me from getting help and participating on these forums. A sit-inside boat just better suits the touring I do here in the Pacific Northwest. I do kayak sail a lot with both commercial and home made rigs (see here http://www.youtube.com/user/adamnoman#p ... WQXCrWMj10). which I why I’ve joined these forums.
I’ve just bought a Hobie Sidekick kit which I’m going to mod to fit my boat for greater stability upwind sailing.
The other mod I’m considering is adapting a Hobie Mirage sail to my boat. I was able to look at one in a store the other day, and I got all the sail dimensions, but I realized I for forgot to get the circumference and diameter of the two mast sections. Anyone willing to measure their’s for me? The lower one is the most critical – it will affect whether I can adapt the foredeck fitting that supports my Spirit sail to be a through deck fitting running down to a mast step on the inside bottom of the boat. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Philip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe both mast sections have the same diameter. I made a camera mount that I stick into the sail mount. The mount is made of a 2' long by 1/2" diameter PVC and it fits with a little wiggle room. A 3/4" PVC won't fit in there. So, the diameter is slightly larger than 3/4".

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Ricky,

That helps a lot, thanks. One clarification please.

Ricky wrote:
the mount is made of a 2' long by 1/2" diameter PVC and it fits with a little wiggle room. A 3/4" PVC won't fit in there. So, the diameter is slightly larger than 3/4".

I assume you meant the diameter of the hole on the Hobie where the mast is inserted is slightly SMALLER than 3/4" since the 3/4" PVC won't fit in there?

Philip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My mistake. You are correct. The diameter of the PVC pipe I use is 1/2". A 3/4" PVC pipe is too big and wont fit in there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip,
The Hobie mast lower section has an OD of 7/8" or 22.2mm. The upper has an OD of 17.2mm.
You may be better off with the sail kit from the inflatables. It has a 3 piece stayed mast so it would be easier to mount, though you wouldn't be able to furl it as easily.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
Philip, The Hobie mast lower section has an OD of 7/8" or 22.2mm. The upper has an OD of 17.2mm. You may be better off with the sail kit from the inflatables. It has a 3 piece stayed mast so it would be easier to mount, though you wouldn't be able to furl it as easily.

Thanks for that info, Stringy - it's a great help. Based on mock-ups with a 7/8" wooden dowel, the mast will fit through my current front deck fitting I have for my Spirit sail - I just have to work out how to make a bombproof mast cup/step for the "floor" of my boat to receive the bottom end of the mast. (I have a couple of ideas in mind.)

I had considered the stayed mast option, but the way the Australian kayak sailors (who are the crazy extremists of the sport) seem to like it is a unstayed mast that can be pulled out in seconds and shoved under the deck bungies if the wind goes from fun to frightening. Plus, in a sit-inside boat, I don't have the same ability to move and reach around as you do in a sit-on-top.

I just completed the install of my Hobie Sidekick last night (I needed to adapt the hardware a bit as my deck is curved, not flat as the Hobie sit-on-tops are.) Feeling pleased and looking forward to the sail adaption project.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, and String and Ricky in particular.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help I got on this forum, in spite of padding a "SINK" rather than an SOT.

I thought you might be interested in the maiden voyage of my modified Mirage Sail and Sidekick combo. I wound up making extensions for the Sidekick arms, since the original lengths interfered with my paddle stroke.

Here's how the set-up looks from the outside:

And here's how it looked from the inside.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a73x5xKVNO8[/youtube]

The breeze was very light, but that's what I wanted for the first time out.

Next phase of the project is to build one of those home-brew furlers from PVC plumbing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are posts on this site that show how to easily make a roller-furling system, for ideas even if it doesn't work for your setup.

So the struts for the sidekick don't constrain your paddle stroke?

Where was that launch site?

Thanks, Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

clable wrote:
There are posts on this site that show how to easily make a roller-furling system, for ideas even if it doesn't work for your setup.

Thanks, Craig. I'd found those, plus some vids on youtube about the same subject. I'm sure I'll be able to adapt something.

clable wrote:
So the struts for the sidekick don't constrain your paddle stroke?

Only at the very end of the stroke (the release and takeout phases) if I'm careless and let it go as far back as when I'm paddling without the Sidekicks. But I have enough room to do a stroke with some power in it. I added the extensions because without'em the sponsons were right where my paddle blades wanted to be, reducing the swing room for each stroke.

A side benefit should be that the longer arms will be longer levers, giving me more "righting moment" and resistance to having the sponson forced underwater and/or the boat capsizing when sailing in stronger winds.

clable wrote:
Where was that launch site?

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Hence my drysuit - we don't do winter here the way the rest of Canada does, but it's still too chill to swim unprotected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great kayakwriter! 8)

Now... how about a leeboard so you can get all points sailing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
Looks great kayakwriter! 8)

Thanks stringy!

stringy wrote:
Now... how about a leeboard so you can get all points sailing?

Way ahead of you - I've been using this "tossed" leeboard for years. Nice thing is it's not bolted in place - just held in place on the downwind side of the boat by water pressure.

Not sure how high it'll let me sail with the new set-up. I may also need to "embiggen" the rudder a bit if it's getting overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice retrofitting ... impressive!

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:) Hi Kayakwriter,
my congratulations for your rig. Your upwind sailing with your Pacific Action as jib is good. I like watching at your video-clip where you tack upwind on the right and on the left. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a peachy set-up. Personally I am very doubtful about the need for the outriggers on my kayak but then I am not sailing a SINK in BC! I hope it goes as well as it looks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I thought it deserved mentioning that Phillip has some good vids. His vid detailing the developments in his kayak sails and sailing is particularly excellent.

Pete