Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like Thule has come up with the ultimate side-loading kayak solution.

The new Slidebar:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ15NX5SQ7s&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
http://www.thule.com.au/thule-slidebar

It's exactly what I need for my new high SUV . Just one problem. I cant order it!! Not sold in the US/Canada. Drives me crazy.

Once again, I'm :mrgreen: with envy of the Aussies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Still have to reach just as high, meh..

You HAVE seen the Hullivator right?

http://atlantickayaktours.com/pages/ret ... ator.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have. Ridiculous looks and price.. Underpowered for an AI/TI.

These guys snap out of nowhere for use as a integrated side loading bar. Either of the bars can be used (for front or back assist) and on either side of the vehicle. Brilliant.

It's a side-loading dream come true.

But a wet dream for us Yanks. Mahalo Thule.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the world of restrictive trade Nohuhu. You have no idea what it's like trying to buy US made goods outside the US. Ebooks by prominent Australian authors, music, videos, TV shows - all unavailable in Australia due to regional restrictions. Goods which are available are often at around 100% markup, including most cars and the Hobie Wave ( :evil: :evil: :evil: ). Even Itunes songs which are $.99 in the US are $1.69 in Australia and they are coming off the same server!!!!
OK, rant over. Looking at the website, they don't seem to specify what the maximum load is. I don't think I'd be hoisting a TI up onto them. To be honest, they don't seem to be that much more useful than a single Rack'n Roll load bar - they will support an AI unsupported, but need a foot bar to support the weight of a TI.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I would love to purchase a Rack n Roll for my Thule Aero bars. It's a great product. I would buy one in a heartbeat. They are only sold in Aus and NZ.

Even so, owning the Thule Slidebar is = having 2 invisible Rack and Rolls built into your aero bars and would save you $300 Aus.

Our only solutions here are the Yakima side bars (round bars only) and the Thule's (square only). Both are rated 75lbs or less (like the Rack n Roll) and look like dorky add ons.

The Slidebars are crash rated at 90kg and I would suspect are side load rated about the same as others, at 34kg each.

For kayaks and other loads, the Slidebars allow you to load, unload and position objects while directly under them, rather than reaching and lifting across highroof lines. It's just the AI loading solution I was looking for.

Sorry about the Hobie Wave Chris, I feel your pain,.. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Hullavator works great for the AI. I have had one for 2yrs now. You just need to lift the boat to waist height and the gas shockers almost do the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ammo wrote:
The Hullavator works great for the AI. I have had one for 2yrs now. You just need to lift the boat to waist height and the gas shockers almost do the rest.

Can you lift it one end at a time rather than lifting the entire boat?
Please elaborate as to how you lift it..........

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put the boat on its side and lift it all up in 1 go onto the hullavator arms which are at door level. I then strap the boat to the hullavator. The boat is very stable in the holders even unstrapped. Once strapped down, I then kneel down and lift the hullavator arms up. When the boat gets to chest height the gas shockers take over and lift it up and over my car and onto the roof. Just need to tie it down at the front and rear of the boat. The hardest bit in the whole process is getting the boat into the hullavator, at door level the very start, not the vertical movement onto the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dunno - I'd rather lift one end at a time (half the hull weight) to roof height than the whole weight of the hull to waist or chest height. That's where I can't see having the two sliders as much of an advantage - the second slider would just get in the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
I dunno - I'd rather lift one end at a time (half the hull weight) to roof height than the whole weight of the hull to waist or chest height. That's where I can't see having the two sliders as much of an advantage - the second slider would just get in the way.

You can lift one end then the other into the hullivator, but once in the hullivator you have to lift the entire thing at once, but as stated it has gas shocks assisting you in that, and its doing all the stabilizing so it a lot easier than lifting the boat by itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For the big heavy TI on top of a fairly high 4x4, I have been using a Rhino rack Side boat loader.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCateg ... er_52.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlPyVSIsgAc

I have the TI cradles on the roof and have to lift the ends of the TI up (one end at a time) to seat it into the cradle. I am thinking of having the cradles strapped to the hull first then hauling the boat up the side ramps.

As this uses an 18V cordless drill, it hauls the boat up fairly well.

Worth a look.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That thing's gonna leave a dent,... in your wallet. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Malone has a lightweight version of this side track idea.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUJqM8Qg7ig&feature=player_detailpage&list=ULkUJqM8Qg7ig[/youtube]

If it were just a little beefier and fit other bars...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Malone has a lightweight version of this side track idea.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUJqM8Qg7ig&feature=player_detailpage&list=ULkUJqM8Qg7ig[/youtube]

If it were just a little beefier and fit other bars...

Malone J Racks SUCK I had two sets and utterly loathed them, didnt work well on my 15' fishing yak, didn't fit well on my sea kayak, and scuffed the piss out of the shiny finish. The sea wings aren't bad. But the J Racks are pretty god awful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might check out Thule's product called the 'Outrigger'
It works very simply - and does kind of the same thing, its a bar that comes out allowing the user to load half the kayak to the side of the vehicle, we have used them, and they work fine. (and only cost $84.95)
http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/ ... trigger-II