Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Trailer Options?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ahoy!

Well, I finally ordered a TI (plus cradle and tramps), so now I need a trailer...

My two options at the moment include the Trailex 350 (I already have an Outfitter and may want to stack that on the TI occasionally so that's why I opted against the lighter capacity 200.):
http://www.castlecraft.com/sea_kayak_fr ... railer.htm

OR a galvanized canoe trailer (See second listing for #UKCT1 1 PLACE CANOE / KAYAK TRAILER at):
http://www.magnetatrailers.com/canoekay ... ilers.html

The cost looks around the same (+/-$1,200), so what would you recommend?
The aluminum Trailex is lighter, but the UKCT 1 has an option for 12" wheels...
My main challenge will be figuring out how to mount the cradles on either one...???
Will I need to mount two 48" (and 24") crossbars, as in the Hobie catalog... Any thoughts as to how to do this?

Thanks!

I can't wait to get out there and join the Hobie Island community!

Scott

Post subject: Re: TI Trailer Options?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You should read the thread trailer for TI.

Most of the information you want is contained in that thread and threads linked from it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SailScott wrote:
Ahoy!

Well, I finally ordered a TI (plus cradle and tramps), so now I need a trailer...

My two options at the moment include the Trailex 350 (I already have an Outfitter and may want to stack that on the TI occasionally so that's why I opted against the lighter capacity 200.):
http://www.castlecraft.com/sea_kayak_fr ... railer.htm

OR a galvanized canoe trailer (See second listing for #UKCT1 1 PLACE CANOE / KAYAK TRAILER at):
http://www.magnetatrailers.com/canoekay ... ilers.html

The cost looks around the same (+/-$1,200), so what would you recommend?
The aluminum Trailex is lighter, but the UKCT 1 has an option for 12" wheels...
My main challenge will be figuring out how to mount the cradles on either one...???
Will I need to mount two 48" (and 24") crossbars, as in the Hobie catalog... Any thoughts as to how to do this?

Thanks!

I can't wait to get out there and join the Hobie Island community!

Scott

Welcome aboard 8)
Looks like you have done some research into this. Interesting links.
As Herbaldew says, take a look at the existing thread.
Enjoy your new baby and tell us all about it.
As you can see, there is a large, enthusiastic and active group of members who can help you solve any issues you encounter.
\

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you, both, for the warm welcome and link! I had read that a while back... but after a more careful reading, I'm still confused by one comment:

"Edit: Just remembered, you also would need new crossmembers as the TI cradles will NOT work on the crossmembers that come with a Trailex 350."

I'll have to talk to Trailex about adding crossmembers... or improvising my own with some sort of stiff, non-corrosive material (e.g., Trex?, aluminum tubing?).

I'm just wondering if it is Trailex or Hobie that is adding the two 48" crossmembers(?).

Have a great week!

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Call Trailex and ask for Ken. Tell him you want a trailer like the one he put together for Ezra in Florida. He will walk you through it. I did this and in my opinion it's the way to go. It will cost you a bit more but well worth it.

"When the going gets tough, the tough drink tea." Jon Turk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trailex makes everything but the cradles.

The crossmembers and associated hardware that comes with an SUT350 are NOT useable at all for trailering a TI. Trailex will not remove said hardware either, so I had to pay for the standard crossmembers plus the crossmembers that the TI cradles will attach to. I didn't pull out my invoices to check, but the Hobie offering is probably cheaper than buying the SUT350 plus crossmembers and cradles. The Hobie trailer wasn't available when I went the SUT350 route.

sun E sailor (he is Ezra HonuSail mentions above), myself and I assume from the above post HonuSail, opted to use three cradles instead of two. Given my experience with Trailex, I wouldn't be surprised if they will no longer sell the "Ezra Special" now that Hobie is offering the SUT350 based trailer, if not they may still go along with selling one extra crossmember if you wanted to triple up as we did. The cradles come in sets of two, so that ups the cost of tripling up also.

As far as adding your own crossmembers, please note that Trailex uses a proprietary t-bolt system for assembly to include how the crossmembers are attached before making your decision. The crossmembers are extruded with the t-bolt slot in them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with the 350S model. It comes with boat bunks which you don't use. I wanted the extra support that three cradles give you so I ordered 3 52" cross bars. I also ordered 2 sets of cradles which is 4 pieces. I only used 3 and one left over. I will also mention that I ordered all this through my Hobie dealer however you could order the trailer direct from Trailex and the cradles from your dealer. I don't think Hobie cares. You bought the boat from them and all the accessories and you will probably be a customer for life. I know I will be!

Trailex is great to deal with. Just call them. Ken is the one who helped my Hobie dealer put it together.

"When the going gets tough, the tough drink tea." Jon Turk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great input and ideas! Thanks much!
However, Ken at Trailex seemed very intent that I go through a Hobie dealer to order through them. He refused to directly sell the TI modifed model of the 350, which is under contract with Hobie. See this link for details:
http://www.trailex.com/Instructional%20 ... 50-AIT.pdf
So, out of the 3 Hobie dealers in my area, two have been responsive to my questions, and one has been sincerely helpful in answering my questions. However, he told me today I would "wait weeks" for this trailer! (When a buyer can get a TI in-stock immediately but has to wait for a trailer for "weeks", I'd say something is not completely right with the system...? I would think that most of us do not get too excited about cartopping a TI!)
Anyways, I have sent a couple emails to AustinKayak to see if they can special order it and have it sent directly to me for assembly.
Meanwhile, my one faithful dealer is looking into other options with trailer builders in our area.
Trailer-less... but looking forward to assembling my TI in a few more days!
(PS-The wife and I did get on the water today in our Hobie Outfitter... cartopped on our little Toyota... fun and relaxing... but excited about the move up to a TI!)
Thanks, guys!
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are not worried about making a trailer fashion statement the 299.00 Harbor freight trailer is not a bad way to haul the beast. Look for posts from DogslIfe on his mods. basically have to extend the tongue some way. 12 inch wheels stock. I have radial tires from a supplier in CA and run 70 mph with about 20 psi with no problems to date. Trailer can double as a utility unit as well. Only drawback its not stainless ,galvanized or aluminum so it will rust if you don't hose off the salt and sand..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good suggestion! Great price, too!! The reviews on the HF trailer are mostly glowing... but my concerns would be:
1) Extending the trailer tongue...?
2) Corrosion (I will mostly be launching/submerging in salt water.)
Now, I've just seen that there is a "double double" (for up to 2 TIs) at AustinKayak. Hmmm. That would wipe out my tax refund, but it would allow for room to grow (put the Outfitter alongside... add an AI, gearbox down the road...?). Maybe if the cradles can move/slide from center to side by loosening the nuts, I could tow just the TI or add another alongside depending on the outing. Possibilities...)
Thanks for the input, all.
I'll sleep on it for now...
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those shiny trailex trailers are nice looking but I can't imagine that they are worth $1200...

I'm proud of my very ugly but very cheap craigslist trailer. I spent $125 on the trailer, $200 for the cradles (bought with the boat and got a slight discount), the wood was laying around the house but say $100, and $30 for the pipe.

and

with the boat on it:
and

the deck is made from 3 2x8 rough cut pt lumber
the pipe is 4" schedule 20 and was slightly to large. i carefully heated and melted the pipe till it was the ideal height.

it has 14" rims and 24" diameter tires with bearing buddies already installed.
i need to reduce the number of leafs in the springs, it was originally used to haul sail boat 10x heavier than mine.

it took me about a hour to mount the cradles the first time with what was lying around, and about four hours once i decided what i wanted. the deck is great, i never get my feet wet when launching or retrieving the boat.

cheers!

j

on a side note: i did have the cradles mounted to the racks on the truck once. loading the TI that high up is TOUGH. Bought the trailer after the first outing :D

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great job! "Necessity is the mother of invention." Love what you've done with it!

As it turns out, AustinKayak ended up having a Double-Double in stock.... So, I guess the TI (and my Outfitter) will be riding side-by-side on it... for now. (Tax refund, gone though.)

The TI community is awesome... And Hobie is standing strong (got my cradles and tramps today)... waiting on the boat and trailer now.

Take care, TI Fam!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm wondering what the differences are between the double (38652200) and double-double (38652201) Trailex trailers. Just width? (84" to 96") If the 4-parcel set is labeled "SUT-450-AID", which makes me think "Adventure Island Double" not Tandem Island Double, is there a way to make sure on the boxes that I am getting the TI double-double before I open up everything?

Trailex only lists one version:
http://www.trailex.com/Instructional%20 ... ctions.pdf

So, I am assuming that Hobie knows the difference... and includes the larger pieces?

(Also, the cradles for the TI arrived... but not bolts/nut in the box. Will the trailer include those?)

Thanks much.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

kayakman7,
that ia a nice strong looking chasis for such a long trailer.

I'm inspired, I went and bought a secondhand (hardly used) jetski trailer to convert. Stripped it down and extended the drawbar.

I am using aluminium decking from a tray-back utility.
It was planned for the AI but now I am making it longer for the new TI.

And here is the TI Dolly mounted on the front. (still have to finish a few things).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow! Nice work! I was almost considering an Aluma trailer because of the solid decking, but at/over 2 grand... no thanks... and you definitely would have to extend it for the 18.5' feet of the TI. That aluminum decking should really keep the hulls cleaner and more protected from flying road debris. Also, it looks like you have room to open a truck tailgate ahead of the bow. (Mine will be a tighter squeeze.) Thanks for sharing the pics!