Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Florida AI/TI owners
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith,
Last Hobie multi that I had was an 18 Hobiecat back in the 80's, we have a Hobie holder 12 that I am restoring with a group of teens in an outreach program that my wife and I run. Our regular ride is a 32 ton, three masted gaff rigged topsail cargo schooner that we run humanitarian aid in. I'll send an email to you to get on your owners list and will get back with you asap on the feb.10th trip
bob www.schoonerstarofthesea.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark it on your calendars. This could be a big AI/TI event.

March 16-18, Pavilion Key AI/TI Camping/Fishing Trip.

Maybe even the camping trip of the year!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Watertribe race or not, life must go on. We have an AI/TI camp trip planned.
Back to Pavilion, Mar 16-18, 2012

We will launch from Chokoloskee on Mar 16 at about 1:00 pm. We will return to the same spot on Mar 18, about 1:00 pm.

In between those times, we will sail to Pavilion, spend a day there fishing, sailing, hiking the beautiful beach, and relaxing. Night 2 is always a big fish fry. This time of the year large sea trout have moved into the area. Reds are coming around.

Sorry for the “late” announcement (actually this trip has been announced informally for a few weeks.) I hope you can join us. I know some of you have received the earlier, informal announcement. This is your chance to decide to do the trip.

Long range weather forecast, which is totally untrustworthy, looks good although there may be some rain on Day 2. Again, this weather forecast is totally worthless—it will change all over the place for the next 4 days. Still, it is fun to check.

Let me know if you will be coming. Gil Companiori and wife, Yidera, are confirmed, as is Charlie Fast and Jim Quinlan.

I can be reached at 305-666-4184 or 305-979-3362. email: kwellma at bellsouth dot net, or reply here.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just acquired a TI last week from Economy Tackle / Dolphin Dive & Kayak Center in Sarasota ( great people there!) It was a 2011 demonstrator that was wet about 3 times.

The interesting part is that my GF of 4 years and I had been kicking around the idea of marriage AND getting a TI . . . but I explained that both a new boat and a ring might break the bank. Solution: call the TI an engagement ring!

In the parking lot of the kayak center I called her dad for his blessing, and then we put in 45 minutes ahead of sunset on Longboat Key . . . got down on one knee on the ramp and made some sappy comment about spending our lives in "tandem" and no longer being "islands" unto ourselves. She said yes, we unfurled the main and set off for a short cruise. I think we will call the TI "Windecent Proposal."

Since then we have been sailing Hillsborough Bay out of Davis Island(s), and made a trip to Lake Tarpon, with short term plans to launch from Sand Key and cruise the gulf shoreline of Clearwater, and also Dunedin/Caledesi.

So - the particulars:

Name: T.J. and Elizabeth

(I expect she will have her own log in shortly.)

I also have a Catalina 22 that has turned out not to be our cup of tea - will be selling it or donating it to a youth sailing organization soon. Also a member of the Tampa Sailing Squadron. We are both natives of the Tampa metro area.

I've been boating and sailing my whole life; was even a former commercial harbor cruise captain (200 gross tons) . . . . and Elizabeth "once flipped a Sunfish." We also have a couple of "normal" kayaks. She has some long and skinny job made by a Valley, I believe (or a different UK company) and I have an Old Town Cayuga. And then there is the Sea Doo Islandia . . . which is going to grow cobwebs with the current gas prices . . . it seems it doesn't even leave the dock for less than $140.

So to sum up - happy to be here - and really appreciate the tips learned on this forum. BTW 3 of the 5 trips made in the TI have been in 15 - 18 kts in 2-3 foot rollers and whitecaps - I LOVE this rig! (and my co-captain!)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice story. Nothing sappy about it.

Have fun and maybe we will meet out on the islands.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TJ and Elizabeth, Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Very well done on the engagement ring, great idea. The proposal was first class. May the Creator give you many, many years of smiles together.
Don't forget about Fort DeSoto. Again Very Well Done.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks folks! And Larry...will definitely be at Ft. Desoto soon as I loved kayaking from there...except one time with red tide....stinky.

Are we still able to overnight camp on the south side of Shell Key (facing the north tip of Ft. Desoto?)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

evil_e, As far as I know yes saw some tents there last weekend, went out about sunrise so I assume they were camping. You could call the ranger station there and find out for sure..
What's this soon to have a paddleboard stuff? :D

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't tell what I'm seeing on your tramps? Are they paddleboards? I have been renting one in Dunedin and I love it. I live close enough to an inlet to walk over and drop in. Used to do that with my kayak, but it lives at the fiance's house across town now (bigger garage) and I think a paddleboard would be a quick bit of exercise in the evenings after work and fit nicely in my smaller garage.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

info on camping at shell key:

http://www.pinellascounty.org/forms/shell-camp.htm

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can camp on Shell Key. You have to go to the website below and get a permit online. The only drawback is a member of party has to carry a potty. Has to a bit more official than a bucket.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/forms/shell-camp.htm

I have camped before and weekends can be a bit hectic. Best TI place is on the back side up the shallow cut . Some protection from boat wakes and wind in Bunces pass.
Let me know if a trip might be in the works. Its beginning to get on the warm for camping side but might be good for a night.

Be sure to watch for Cheikas (Keith Wellman's) trips to the Everglades and Pavilion Key during the colder months. The TI and AI are designed for those adventures

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

evil_e, Yes those are SUP's one on each side, higher and dryer than tramps and a lot of fun when the wind dies. They make a great fishing platform also. See you on the water.....

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bosab wrote:
The only drawback is a member of party has to carry a potty. Has to a bit more official than a bucket.

We have that covered. We have a removable chemical "suitcase" head in our Seadoo Islandia that we could remove and take along. And by "take along" I mean strapped to the back of EvilE's Valley kayak as she paddles, along with some firewood, as I zip circles around her in the TI.

The TI shall not be defiled by carrying a poo case!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aha Larry! That's a better pic!
And no TJ...the "poo case" can go in that innertube and we'll pull it behind us ;-)

Thanks for all the info everyone! A trip will be in the works soon... and I agree with inside that cut.

And also...I found this on another thread about the AI Meetup group. Seems a group of them will be at Ft Desoto for a few days June 4 to 7th. You have to join up (for free) to see the specifics...but someone here might be interested.
http://www.meetup.com/Hobie-adventure-island-Sailing-Group/members/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We saw an AI out today (blue sail) around Davis Islands in Tampa... the guy was doing rings around us since we had no wind and he appears to have had an outboard motor because no one was moving yet he was zipping along... good on ya whoever you were!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11