Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's finally time for me to think about adding a little traction to the deck of my Hobie 18 for trapping out. Right now it is just clean, and painted with Interlux (not very conducive to trapping out). I am down to two options and am having a hard time picking one so I wanted to see what everyone else uses or has an opinion on. Keep in mind that I'll probably be trapping barefoot more often than not so I am hoping to find something not super abrasive.. Here are my thoughts:

EVA Grip - http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... re_Code=MS

I am currently leaning towards this stuff. A friend had it on his boat at the end of last season and it seemed really grippy yet soft. He has only had it a couple seasons but seems to be working well thus far (not sure about it in the long run). My only complaint is that since it feels a little "foamy-er" than the standard neoprene it could be less durable and easily susceptible to damage.

Standard Neoprene stuff - https://www.kosailing.com/hardware-1/ca ... 16708.html
Seems really durable and what most people use. Grippy but maybe a little abrasive on feet? Also, it can harden with time/sunlight exposure/use and become less effective. BUT, this does seem like the more proven reliable choice (might just be my perception).

Thanks for any advice you might have, I really want to try and get this right the first time. I might even just need to wait until the season starts and come out and see different people's set-ups.

Last edited by outoftheoffice on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

check out Silent Traction Systems, a lot of kayakers use it, but I sail to and have used it on my 16.

http://www.harmonygear.com/product/4414 ... ion_System

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hydroturf - http://hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=S ... Hydro-Turf

It's probably what Murray's sells. Get it with the 3M adhesive backing. The cut diamond pattern is probably the best compromise between grip and comfort.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The silent traction systems looks okay.

Personally, I would stick to the standard original system i.e. a carpet strip. I find this comfortable especially when trapping barefoot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go to a surf board shop and you can buy some stick on grip pads. They are soft and great barefoot. I used them on my 18 and barefoot there are great. They also stick great, no edges peeling up.

The ones I got were long fat strips and I cut them into thinner strips to wrap around the lip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The standard neoprene die-cut traction kit from Hobie works well. It comes pre-cut to fit the side of the hulls with cut-outs for the shrouds & traps.

EVA foam is the same stuff that's used on windsurf and SUP boards. It's softer, but does seem to be pretty durable.

Personally, I'd go with the Hobie kit. I have one on my boat and it's just finally getting to the point where it's going to need to be replaced after over 25 years of use. When I replace it, it will be with the same kit.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like hearing that some of the sticky/adhesive options might be viable (I thought the only way to attach the stuff was going to be the heavy duty contact cement). Matt - I think the stuff you linked is the same type of material that Murray's sells (fixed my link).

I'm interested to also maybe find some of the stick on grip pads. I'll keep looking around but keep the comments coming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd be wary of the self adhesive backed foam. That stuff is notorius for not staying bonded. And considering that this is going to be bonded to the outside rail of the hull, its going to be constantly pounded by waves The contact cement method is more tedious, but has a much better record of lasting. Whichever route you go, be sure to clean the surfaces well and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I would also steer clear of carpet. The foams are non-water absorbent, have better traction, and look cleaner.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used the EVA stuff from Murray's and have been happy with it.