Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the tip Chris... post a few recent shots of your setup if you could. I know you were messing around with J saddles and such at one time.

The beauty of the Thule slidebar design shines through as we discuss different loading angles, cuz it can be deployed immediately from any of four points on the vehicle depending on how your parking space is configured.

I started out using my own sidebar attachment (PVC with box-aluminum core) on my large toyota sedan. Eventually, I found it quicker and easier to use a suction/roller loader off the rear of the vehicle.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=31224&start=0&hilit=improved

This has been ideal for the car, but won't work on the SUV for various reasons. I'm exploring a few other low-tech rear-loading solutions right now.

Our beaches, parking lots and ramps get super-crowded. Weekends are insane. I know from experience that I can't expect to have any particular side loading angle available when I arrive at the beach. Returning to the car in the afternoon, it's always worse, and I may be completely boxed in door to door. So at any given time, it may be a drivers side, riders side or rear lift.

I know you flip your AI and strap it down. Are you using bare racks only?

Do you think the R&R style bar could somehow work if pads were used rather than saddles.?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU, I'd forgotten about your brilliant suction rear loader. I can see how it wouldn't work with the steep rear window on a SUV. I also sometimes have trouble finding a parking spot where I can easily unload if I sail on Sydney Harbour. The Rack and Roll can be used on either side of the car and, at a pinch, I can put a towel over the back of my roof and slide the boat up from the rear. I've always thought the Thule Goalpost looked like an elegant solution, if you have a towing hitch. ($180 in US, $US337 in Australia - see what I mean :cry: )
I use bare racks only. This has had no adverse effect on the boat or the car, but there are a few scuff marks on the tops of the racks.
Pirate was using a R&R bar and padding his racks with some fibreglass insulation, which he dubbed, with his customary modesty, "Pirate Pillows". To the best of my knowledge, he still does that and he has seemed happy with the setup.
Anyway, if you decide to go with the Thule slidebar, I'm happy to pick a set up for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See if you can get em 50% off :wink:

I priced them out for fun at the Thule AU site.

RT 757 footpak____________$245.00 RRP
SlideBar 892 144cm _______ $399.00 RRP
Thule_875XT_Hydro-Glide__$135.00 RRP
Thule_878XT_Set-to-Go ___$135.00 RRP
Total parts _________________$914.00
Shipping/customs__________$200.00 est
with exchange rate ________1200.00 US

(Thank God this includes locks and GST - correct?)
At this price I can almost afford a trailer, or at least a sherpah to load/unload at the beach for me. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. You'd want to be sure it was the right gear. A Rack & Roll bar would come to $US 232, including airmail to the U.S. Are you seriously considering the Thule?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not at that price. It pretty much poured cold water on my lap... :o :oops: :lol:

For now I'm going to order the Thule 450R Rapid CrossRoad System with the new 53" Aeroblades.

Will take those to the batcave for awhile and see if we can graft some sort of a loadbar to them. (Parts for the rear loading solution are on the way).

Thanks Chris, and everyone who chimed in. Since I can't torture test them myself, I'd love to see Josh do a full review of those Thule Slidebars. They might be more sizzle than steak, but they sure whet my appetite.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great discussion of side loading options for these taller vehicles.

I did recently set up my SUV with the Thule 450Rs and Aeroblades, with glide and set saddles.

The bars are super expensive, but I did manage to graft a side loadbar on them - very cheaply.

For a followup on my side and rear loading devices, check out this thread:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=41502

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thule have made a lot of parts that can be integrated to all types of vehicles especially SUV's! It takes a lot of engineering and testing to make these parts work.