Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evolve 2 Failures
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Sydney, Australia and I recently purchased a Hobie Oasis which I love, along with an Evolve 2 motor. The Evolve 2 failed after 3 outings on my holiday (Error 45). Hobie Australia couldn't determine the fault so they replaced the motor and the battery and all was well. After 4 more outings it failed again (Error 30) - (all connections are clean and dry and the fuse is functioning). Hobie are now blaming Torqeedo. Apparently my problems are quite common and Hobie don't have a solution. What is Hobie USA doing to rectify these problems? Will you take the Evolve 2 off the market until these issues are resolved?

Post subject: Re: Evolve 2 Failures
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

braMAN wrote:
I live in Sydney, Australia and I recently purchased a Hobie Oasis which I love, along with an Evolve 2 motor. The Evolve 2 failed after 3 outings on my holiday (Error 45). Hobie Australia couldn't determine the fault so they replaced the motor and the battery and all was well. After 4 more outings it failed again (Error 30) - (all connections are clean and dry and the fuse is functioning). Hobie are now blaming Torqeedo. Apparently my problems are quite common and Hobie don't have a solution. What is Hobie USA doing to rectify these problems? Will you take the Evolve 2 off the market until these issues are resolved?

Tracing errors codes on any product can be a challenge. Most of the errors code and problems are listed in the product manual starting on page 26. Most of the time the dealer(s) will start checking cables or fuses.

In Australia we are advising customers / dealer of the following details;

Claude Desjardins 246 Duke Road AUS - 4562 Doonan / Queensland
Tel.: +61 410 538 334 Mail: claude(at)torqeedoaustralia.com
http://www.torqeedoaustralia.com

The Torqeedo Shop Chris Baker PO Box 891 Avalon NSW 2107 Australia
Tel.: +61 2 800 33 650 Mail: chris(at)currentsunshine.com

The net result of this is that should any customer have a problem with the Torqeedo product they can go directly to the manufacture. By doing this we feel you will get better service and provide Torqeedo with information to improve the product.

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same here had the same error code returned it to hobie, Torqeedo told me motor has problems needs repair/replacing motor? Gave hobie motor October 2011 for repair/replacing motor now February 2012 still havent got my motor repair/replace yet? Torqeedo customer service is very poor and slow 4 1/2 month still have not resoved problem. From my experince dont buy Torqeedo product if you have problems very poor service :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

khuu27 wrote:
Same here had the same error code returned it to hobie, Torqeedo told me motor has problems needs repair/replacing motor? Gave hobie motor October 2011 for repair/replacing motor now February 2012 still havent got my motor repair/replace yet? Torqeedo customer service is very poor and slow 4 1/2 month still have not resoved problem. From my experince dont buy Torqeedo product if you have problems very poor service :evil:

Hi Khuu27,

Please contact [email protected],
Best regards

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also had an issue with my Evolve 2 after the first trip. But the good news was i dropped the unit off to Claude while he was at the Melbourne Boat show and within 4 days i received the drive back fully operational. My Hobie Dealer suggested this as a faster way to get the unit fixed. Try contacting Claude, the AU torqeedo rep he is very knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gave my unit to Dave at Hobie Kayak Centre Sydney and was sent to Torqeedo 4 1/2 month now still not repair/replace yet what a joke?
Anyone thinking of buying a Evolve V2?
DONT BUY VERY POOR/SLOW SERVICE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dave at Caringbah seems very dedicated to his customers. He must be tearing his hair out if your motor has been broken for 41/2 months!! Mine was checked again over Christmas by Torqueedo. I have my motor mounted on the rudder so Hobie had the whole kayak and Evolve so I couldn't get out on the water during the Christmas week.
I got it all back in early January with a new battery unit (my THIRD). Unfortunately I have been sick recently so I haven't been on the water to test the repairs. I will keep you informed......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My eVolve V1 is still going strong (touch wood) after a couple of years. I wonder what has caused these problems with the V2s?

I was thinking about upgrading to a V2 for the solar charging to put on my AI. I'll wait and see how this goes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

John_h wrote:
My eVolve V1 is still going strong (touch wood) after a couple of years. I wonder what has caused these problems with the V2s?

I was thinking about upgrading to a V2 for the solar charging to put on my AI. I'll wait and see how this goes.

I started a thread asking for positive input on the Evolve 2 but received none. Like you I would like to have the Evolve 2 with the solar option. But until I see some positive post I will hold off on buying one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

eVolve V2 experienced a variety of issues upon 1st production run. One of the biggest issues was a failure to test fit the components here before packaging. I believe we corrected the majority within the first month, so most if not all of this stuff is history. Understand that Australia received inventory from that first batch. We are not hearing about issues with systems built since then and are very sorry for the inconvenience it has cause users.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
eVolve V2 experienced a variety of issues upon 1st production run. One of the biggest issues was a failure to test fit the components here before packaging. I believe we corrected the majority within the first month, so most if not all of this stuff is history. Understand that Australia received inventory from that first batch. We are not hearing about issues with systems built since then and are very sorry for the inconvenience it has cause users.

I'm glad to see Matt respond to this post and tell us the issues they had with the Evolve 2. I will now place my order for the Evolve 2.

Thanks Matt

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the explanation and apology Matt. It is appreciated.
I have been back on the water for a while now and I would say I have logged more than 150 kilometres of motoring with the repaired evolve 2 and all is functioning perfectly.
One trip involved a return journey of 30 kilometres on the Shoalhaven River Gorge with a 20 to 30 knot headwind going up and a 30 to 40 knot tailwind complete with horizontal spray coming back to Tallowa Dam!!! What a ride!!! I motored all the way and peddled occasionally. The motor consumed 80% of the battery's capacity which I thought was amazing economy given the conditions. I couldn't see any canoe/kayak other than an Evolve equipped Hobie completing such a journey. I am 60 years old and not very fit so a reliable motor greatly extends the range of my kayaking trips.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice story - the eVolve is an amazing product for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had the Evolve for a year and it worked fine last summer. When I took it out this June the error message 30 came up. The cables all look fine, and I don't know if the fuse is bad. Who can I contact about this. I live in Northern Michigan and I bought the motor on Ebay. :cry:

Update:
After I checked the motor (by attaching it directly to the battery) I found the problem to be with the motor extension cable. The cable looked fine and I sprayed it with wd 40 at both ends, but I still got an error 30 message with it. If I attached the motor to the battery directly, it ran. The cable cost $90.00, but I guess I'll have to get a new one.,Unless I want to sit with the battery in my lap.

Last edited by pjwheelr on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can contact Torqeedo Inc

Sven Kirchhoff | Service & Quality Manager

Torqeedo, Inc | 171 Erick Street, Unit A-1 | Crystal Lake, IL 60014 | United States | » http://www.torqeedo.com | »http://www.facebook.com/torqeedo
[email protected] | P 1-815-444-8806 x303 | F 1-815-444-8807 | C 1-847-347-6228