It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Wear fishing vest over pfd?
No, bad idea. 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Yes, good idea 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am considering a fishing vest to be worn over my pfd. I want handier storage and access to fishing gear, camera, etc.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

Post subject: fishing vest over a pfd
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a Coast Guard Auxiliarist, I appreciate that you plan to wear your pfd while you are on the water. As to having a fishing vest over that, my one concern would be over pfd deployment. If your pfd is an inflatable, would the vest restrict inflation? If your pfd is a Type I or Type II, thats a lot of added bulk. These are the types I look for when people are going offshore.
If you are using a Type III, I would be concerned over the change to the "righting" ability of the pfd - these "may" get your head up out of the water and are to be worn when rescue can be effected quickly.
And if you are "self-rescuing" clambering back into your yak - would the fishing vest get in the way?
There were combination fishing vests/pfd's available a couple of years ago from the fly fishing catalogs...but they dissappeared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are still a number of combo fishing vests/PFDs on the market. Just saw one in the NRS catalog that looked very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My Extrasport Retroglide has the best strap / fit /adjustment system I could find, and it has two great pockets plus a couple attachment points. But my survival / emergency gear will take up all that.

The angler - type vests do not have the fit / strap system.

I want to be able to take off the fishing vest for storage and travel, both in and out of the kayak. I also want to be able to use it to fish from shore or wading.

The mesh-type vests with built-in and add-on "zingers" or mini-gear-leashes really appeal to me.

Some have cautioned against compromising the worth of the pfd, but what is the difference between a loaded angler-type pfd and a pfd plus removable angling vest?

Post subject: design parameters
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The difference is in the challenge to the design of the floatation vest. A Type III vest is more comfortable, and therefore most likely to be worn. However, the amount of floatation provided, and the positioning of the floatation material means the probability of keeping your head out of the water is compromised over the Type I and Type II design. Type III pfd's are considered floatation aids and will require the wearer to put in effort to keep his or her face up.

Most people who drown in boating accidents are not wearing personal floatation devices. Most people who drown while wearing pfd's did not have them on correctly (did not close the zipper, snap the snap, or have a between the legs safety strap in place). Wearing a loaded fishing vest over a comfortable pfd would probably fall into that category.

Look for a fishing vest/pfd combination which was designed to allow you to pack stuff into the pockets, and still allow you to right yourself and keep your head above water.

I did see a vest so designed in a recent Canoe and Kayak article on paddling pfd's.

:!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I wear my fishing vest OVER my PFD; however, I also know that if I hit the water, the first thing leaving will be my fishing vest (to possibly be retrieved at a later date). Since I seem to carry and need everything BUT the kitchen sink in my fishing vest, I already know that if I go overboard for whatever reason, the fishing vest is coming off immediately. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Stearns fishing PFD I wear on my boat. Very comfortable. The two large lower pockets easily hold Plano 3448 boxes, while the upper pockets hold other gear.

I tried using it in my Quest Fisherman, figuring that was one less thing I had to buy. Wrong! The back of the vest pushed against the seat back. The whole vest is too low and pushed upward off my legs. I had to lower the front zipper a bit to get it off my chin. After two trips, I faced the fact that it is not practical for kayaks at all.

When I looked at the fishing PFDs designed specifically for kayaking, I was not too impressed. The Extrasport Osprey was one that looked good, but does it not come in any high visibility colors. When will the manufacturers catch on that when we are sharing the water with power boats, we need to be seen, not stealthy?

I ended up buying a Stohlquist Asea and I am happy with that. Now I just try to make the most of the storage near at hand.