Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's very possible that Tom has the catapillar drive made famous by Jack Ryan in Hunt for red october.

Here is the link http://www.bradenton.com/2011/05/12/318 ... ition.html

You can't buy the motor because it's not on the market yet, he was likely one of the testors of the Riptide motor, and sworn to secrecy. His invention is likely the molded piece attaching the motor to the rear lifting bar (very simple just takes two minutes to setup with no mods to the boat itself (just clamp onto the bar, the rudder does the steering). His second video is the give away, you can see his friend steering with the rudder, and the wake behind the boat is not from a propeller. His mount would likely work with any motor (but without the performance of the Riptide of course). The performance is from the Riptide itself(not his bracket idea).

This is the only motor out there than can give the performance numbers he is claiming.

All just speculation on my part
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MANEUVERABILITY, That's what you want, and this doesn't have it, Being a "jet" drive your not gonna have any low end drive ability or control that you'll have with the prop motors. Have you ever seen a jet ski at slow speed?? Your going to be waiting for the thrust to build up enough movement for the rudder to work, What about reverse. Tom fails to show this, only straight line speed with a few sweeping turns. Lets see this thing back out of a slip, lets see the maneuverability of the wave of the future.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, I had no idea I couldn't do any of that. Guess anyone that wanted a similar system should forget about it. Too many shortcomings. I may have to discard mine after reading this.

Thanks for bringing these shortcomings to light. Hopefully we can put my ill conceived system out to pasture once and for all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think bassyaks is worried about the Kirkman drive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No reason for anyone to be worried about such a poorly designed and implemented system as mine. It is definitely not what any serious kayak angler would ever want to waste time nor money on. Forget about it.

Get an Evolve or Bassyaks outfit, or mount a 2x4 to your rear handle mounting holes and hang a trolling motor on it. You'll be much, much happier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SteveK:
If you follow the development of the Riptide you will see that it is not a Kurt nozzle jet drive (like used in jet skies). It is much more like a jet turbine engine. It works similar and in the same principles as a jet engine only instead of accelerating air it accelerates water very efficiently (like several times the efficiency of anything else out there currently). I am predicting most of the applications of the Riptide will be as Azipods (these are the same systems that makes a cruise ship turn on a dime). So in reality this system will be more control able that any prop system currently in use.

Tom:
I agree it's no good you should give up on it and send it to me (PLEASE).
I know you can't confirm or deny if you have a Riptide or not, but it's always fun to speculate on stuff.
I have been following closely the Riptide (some of the Riptide people are here in Sarasota) I have tried to get a hold of them to offer to work with them (to deaf ears). Just from what I know about this kind of stuff, I have a feeling they will be tied up for a very long time with the US Navy and the military. Something this good doesn't go unnoticed, I think it will change the way small military submersibles and navy seal boats are propelled, Tom Clancy's dream of the Caterpiller drive might actually come true. Then someday they will get around to devistating the small marine motor industry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been thinking about this and wonder; would a simple pump work as a jet drive? Maybe a pump like this;

This pump weighs in at 30 pounds, moves 2500+gph and draws 30amps or 360watts at 12vdc for full 'thrust'.

It should be easy to control flow by varying the voltage.

That pump is probably way overkill but it seems that a submersible pump that moves water ought to do the job...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is better than Jerry Springer!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no idea where a "riptide" motor can be bought. Every piece on my system was designed and built by myself.

But as I have recently learned in these posts - my system has serious shortcomings and has no value to any serious kayak fisherman. Best to let it fall into the cracks and not bring it up anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mornin' Tom,
I believe that they have confused the name of a tackle shop (Riptide) with the name of the innovative type of propulsion system (RipJet). At any rate, I agree with you. Your system obviously has far too many shortcomings, and ought to be consigned to the rubbish heap asap. Have a good day. Regards.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well said.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So color me naive. Despite the many shortcomings of Tom's system, and the fact his videos imparting ideas how to build trailers, add equipment to the PA and otherwise provide seemingly helpful information to PA owners clearly misses many marks, I still would love to have his propulsion system.

Of course, I can afford to be naive since I don't yet have a PA. When I do, however, I will build my trailer per Tom's hairbrained ideas of transporting a PA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oops I had the name wrong, it is Ripjet

Tom:
Obviously I'm mistaken about your system, sorry about the mixup. I thought for sure you were mixed up with these guys ( http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... /110519941 ). By your discription of your system, I was sure this was what it is (only in my mind apparently). Good luck in your ventures.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't worry about it - I'm sure the Ripjet motor costs a hundred times more than my whole system did. Of course, it surely works far better, too.

I'll just keep limping along and try not to grumble about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SOLAR PANEL.

I've found a good semi flexible solar panel that will fit on the front hatch cover. Its 30 Watts.
They can also custom make one and maybe in a triangle shape to fit the cover even better. Might be good for 40-50 Watts depending on how many cells can fit on etc. These are 22% efficient cells which is VERY GOOD. But the MOQ is 10pcs.
Im going to get one sample stock size piece to mess about with.
Figure on $10/Watt. Any interest for such?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next