Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Tandem
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How many of you folks have had a tough decision choosing between a tandem or two single kayaks? I really like the idea of having a tandem and enjoying time on the water with my better half. However, I really like the design of the Adventure and the hull shape. Do you guys think there is a chance Hobie is working on a longer, sleaker design tandem that they are close to bringing to market? Roadrunner posted some nice picks of the tandem hull and the Adventure hull and the Adventure looks so nice and slick going through the water. If only I was rich and could by three. One single for each of us and one tandem. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey baker,
Welcom to the Hobie Forum. My rule of thumb was that if my wife and I fought over the TV remote, then we needed separate yaks, not a tandem! So far, that simple rule has probably saved my marriage, not to mention my sanity! I ended up getting an OB for myself and a Sport for my wife--great decision on both! Except that now I use her Sport a lot more than my OB, and she uses, well, uhhh, ummm, never mind!--oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Of the couples who show up fairly regularly at the local lake, most have individual kayaks. As with Apalach, they are usually in different models, so there's more choice and diversity, whether going together or by yourself.

Of those in tandems, there don't seem to be that many regular twosomes for some reason -- lot of one-timers -- and more often than not, one person is doing most of the work while the other one sits there bored or cold. (of course, these are all paddling kayaks -- don't see too many Mirage Tandems).

When the wife goes, she likes to be in the tandem, but she doesn't go all that often. Come to think of it, the last five times the Tandem has been out, I was with OffRoad, my daughter, a neighbor and myself twice!. Going solo, it's nice to have a single -- easier to handle, faster, better balance.

Disadvantages of the Tandem -- 1) With both facing forward, it's hard to have a conversation. 2) My wife doesn't like the paddle flinging water on her, so I don't get to paddle (exercise value only). 3) It doesn't carry much gear compared to the singles. Advantage -- If you're a lot different from each other in speed or endurance, you don't get separated in the Tandem (you never have to wait for your partner!). And it's always fun to go together. The Tandem also offers unique advantages if your partner is disabled, uncomfortable in the water, or you want to bring a dog or young child, for instance.

So it really depends on your situation. Like Apalach, I think the single route offers the most versatility and works out best for most people. If you get two at once, you might be able to do some serious negotiating on price! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner laid it out very well. Get two! If you want to hook-up, after you get your Adventure, let me know. I live far away in Benicia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info and sharing your thoughts. Windrider, I'll definately have to get in touch with you when my lucky day arrives and I have a kayak of my own. Do you know of any dealers in the Vallejo/Benecia area where I could test ride some Hobie yaks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The closest Hobie dealers, I know of, are in Napa, Oakland, & Santa Rosa. Wind Toys in Santa Rosa is where I went for my demos. I would recommend calling them and asking about demos, charges etc... Wind Toys has a very large selection of kayaks and when I went out, there was no charge for the demo, but I know the owner and went with a friend of his, so it would be best to call. I have little personal knowledge of the other dealers other than they didn't respond to my emails, and didn’t seem too knowledgeable on a couple of telephone inquiries I made.