Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day Everyone
Just thought I'd say G'day and put the feelers out for others in the area for sailing. Bought a new TI Dune just before Christmas and have now bent and broken enough bits to be over the embarrassment of sailing and setting up with others! Nothing too serious.
Mostly sail at Port Stephens, Newcastle Harbour (playing chicken with the coal ships) and Lake Macquarie. If you are planning a day out or know of good spots for overnighters in the area then I'd love to hear from you.
G'day Slaughter, thanks for making the effort to come and say hello at Catalina Park. Have new rudder pins so back in action again! Woohoo! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi bonehead,
I am also a new TI owner (although I have had an AI for a few years).

If you are ever over in WA I have a few good overnight spots. I do a fair bit of camping and 4x4 trips but am yet to head off for a trip in the TI and camp over. Usually have the 4x4 and camper trailer.

Geordie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Bonehead,
I'm from Sydney, but on new year's eve I set off in my TI from Stockton Bridge with brother & daughter and surfed with wind & tide up the Hunter River north arm to Hexham Bridge. Nice bird life and natural surrounds. Took us about an hour.
After lunch at the Cooragang Island nature reserve, we decided to head back down the south arm. Wind on our nose no matter where the river went. Plenty of low power lines and bridges that required taking down the mast. Then long beat up the harbour past the coal ships & tugs. Took us four and a half hours on the return leg to complete our circumnavigation of the island.
Highly recommended, except time it so the tide brings you home.
A few days later we sailed from Kincumber down to the Rip Bridge on Brisbane Waters. Very picturesque with a great hamburger from Empire Bay shops. You are blessed with great waters in the Hunter/ Cental Coast, as we are in Sydney.
Long drive to Huskisson for you, but the big day out looks like a great way to meet some future fellow AI/TI adventurers and explore the south.
I am thinking about a trip on Myall Lakes this easter. I'll post my intentions here if looks like coming off.
Donald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Geordie,

WA would be a huge adventure. Looking to go to the Kimberleys in the middle of the year for a six week 4wd trip but don't have quite the set up you have on your trailer so will have to leave the TI at home. :( Not sure that it would be much use up there anyway. Not a lot of freeboard to keep the local lizards at bay!!

Donald, We sailed for a few hours on Newcastle harbour yesterday and headed up the north arm of the river but with a strong wind and four on board getting cold we didn't go too far. We were trying to figure how long it would take us to follow the river from Newcastle to Morpeth which is close to home. Would be a river distance of 70 odd kilometres I guess so would want wind, tides, moon, mood etc to all align and probably camp one night somewhere along the way.
Will have to wait and see.

We too have been looking at a Myall Lakes trip, possibly leaving from Nerong and heading up towards Sunnyside Campground. However our grand plans need refining as we are yet to do an overnighter and so will have to play around with what will fit in the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geordie
Looks like you rooftop the TI sometimes.
That's a fair challenge i would think!
In the photo with the cradles on your roof you appear to have some sort of loading/unloading device. Can you elaborate?

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Bonehead,
the trailer and Patrol have been all through the Kimberley but I also left the boat at home. There were really not that many places to safely take a boat out unless you have a lot of local experience. Broome and further south would be the place. Better to jump on a charter fishing boat for some serious croc adventures.

Now if you are comming down further south in WA, the Ningaloo Reef coast, Coral Bay and Shark Bay ARE DEFINITELY WORTH BRINGING THE BOAT.

The Kimberley, take bathers, good sandals for hopping over hot rocks and spare tyres for the Gibb River Road unless you take it really easy and don't be overloaded with every bit of gear under the sun.

mickeymouse,
yes I have been using the camper trailer to cart the AI but since I bought the new bigger TI, it is a bit of a pain to take off the camper before we can set up for the night. The solution was a Rhino Rack side boat loader. http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCateg ... er_52.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlPyVSIsgAc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Bonehead. I've been wait'n to see if you'd make your way onto the site. Welcome mate. What happened everybody was that I was out on the verandah look'n out over the Lake and way off in the distance I spots this sail. The colours are pretty unique so I grabs the binoculars and says to myself, "Whoz that Bonehead" :lol: . As TI's are pretty rare on the Lake, I had to race down to the park and introduce myself. Glad to see you're out and about with the TI and gett'n in some K's. Look'n forward to gett'n together out on the water some time soon mate.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys, I'm a newby from Sydney with a Mango AI.

Hey Slaughter....I'm the guy you met last Wed 22 feb on Little Beach, Shoal Bay sailing the AI. You suggested I get on the forum...so here goes. (Although why aren't we talking on the Aust forum!??) Thanks mate!

Guys...I get up to Nelson Bay occasionally, so I'll let you know if I'm around.

I read somewhere (on the US forum - cant find it now) that someone was going to organise a sail up the Myall River around Easter - do you guys know anything about that? If you do, perhaps it should also be posted on the Oz forum?

Anyhow, if you're planning sailing around Sydney, give me a hoy!

Last edited by Rodnco on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey there Rod. Glad you could join. We have been on this 'International' forum for ages and, due to the large number of members, find it's really fast for getting answers to questions. Also the number of years of AI experience on this forum is far greater. Bonehead also sails out of Nelson Bay in a dune TI so look out for him as well.
Yep, you read it here about the Myall Lakes trip but it was an idea that sort of hasn't gone anywhere yet. I still haven't had a sail around Sydney myself so I'll certainly give you a yell if I plan to be down that way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi again

Weather has not worked in our favour this summer and was disappointed to have missed out on the big day out but it wasn't to be this year. Will hopefully get to meet a few of you as the year goes on.

Last Monday spent all day on Myall Lakes, left from Nerong which has a great but tight boat ramp and then sailed to Mungo Brush for lunch. Then down to the ferry at Bombah Point and back to Nerong. I'm guessing about 35kms for the day and although it was raining for %50 + of the time, I was not at work and still had that silly Hobie grin on my face when my wife got home. Fresh water a pleasant change.

Previous week went to Nelson's Bay. Put in at Taylor's Beach ramp and sailed on a broad reach to the heads. Then had to fight the wind home again so it must have been a 40km + day too. Started to chill down by the end of that run so am looking to buy some better wind proof clothing.

Great video Slaughter. It's a real gem. You hinted at upgrading from the Panasonic Lumix? to something else? What's on the wish list?

Was keen to come for a sail with you sometime but our tastes in food are poles apart and I fear your meal would pout in disgust at my tuna sandwich!!! LOL.

If a longer Myall Lakes trip was on the cards then count me in. Also dropped into the NPWS office at Nelson's Bay last week for info on camping at Broughton Island. Need to book as of February this year and they have provided elevated wooden platforms for people to book and camp on!!??

Happy Days...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like your having a blast with the TI Bonehead. Myall keeps popping up as a future trip. We have found in the past that trying to organise dates that suit everyone can be a nightmare. Especially with work and family commitments. Then the weather comes into play. But even with these factors we have managed heaps of great overnighters. Just have to persist.

Thanks for the compliment on the video. Yeah, I'm thinking of a Panasonic Lumix GH2. Not waterproof but would take it for use on land and at camp, whilst using the waterproof one I'm already using on the AI. I've been trying to organise a big solo trip for the last few years but I reckon next Feb all the stars will finally align and the current camera has too many limitations for a big trip.

Tuna Sandwiches !!! :roll: Come on mate, next you'll be tell'n me you don't even use a tablecloth or fine bone china. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tuna Sandwiches? Tuna Sandwiches? Sheer luxury!!! When I was young, we used to eat dog vomit on month old mouldy bread and that was only on special occasions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Foodwise...I know, I know... claiming to be refined was never a prerequisite for being a bonehead. My wife still lives in hope.

I know what you mean about dates and weather. All too often I have several 'wanna do' trips floating around in my head and it's not until the day before that I check Seabreeze and decide which trip the wind will favour. Maybe I'm lazy or just trying to cover too much water each day but If I get a day without the family I prefer an adventure to just plodding around in a bay somewhere.

We're just lucky to have so many options in our neck of the woods. :D

ChrisJ ... that's just wrong. LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, he's like that ! :roll: :lol:

Just as a side issue, when you check SeaBreeze also check http://www.willyweather.com.au/nsw/hunter
for a comparison. At times there can be a big difference between to two. I've tested both and found one to be more accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got to like this one: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/localwaters.shtml
I dunno if it's more accurate, but it's a good graphical representation and packs a lot of info into one screen. You'd think the Bureau of Meteorology would be the most accurate. Aren't they the ones providing all the data?