Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teathering
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry I'm new to this so please forgive if i post in the wrong area. I was wondering if anyone tried to use a drift sock on a hobie in case the boat gets away on you on solo sailing? I was thinking of trying this because i sail in the delaware bay and i fear a teather line would be to dangerous. :?: :D

Post subject: Re: Teathering
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat will be long gone before you can grab a teather just hope it turns over or comes around Did I say always wear a good life jacket and other clothing for the water temps Did you tell anyone where you are going and expected return?
Even if it turns over I have seen a hobie go pretty fast in current or wind
I usually carry a crew and even if they have never beeen sailing I tell them to turn the tiller half over and keep or try to go into the wind till the captain or ADMIRAL gets back to the boat
Note on solo sail my Hobie dragged me about a mile across the
ocean at Virginia Beach when I fell off still attached to the Trapeze Line

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'M talking about a sea anchor the type that looks like a cloth bucket simular to the rightin bucket . If you teathered the bucket which folds up to a small pouch to your pfd and in the event you fall overboard the sea anchor or drift sock would deploy and slow the boat down. How much would be ths issue? Can anyone picture it working ? Iknow when i use one fishing it slows the boat to a crawl!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SOME IDEAS ARE JUST NOT GOOD IDEAS SOME THINGS THAT WORK ON MOTOR BOATS HAVE NO PURPOSE OR USE ON A HOBIE MOST OF THE GOOD IDEAS HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED OR ALREADY THOUGHT OF I DO DEPLOY A FORTRESS ALUMNIUM ANCHOR FROM THE FRONT FORESTAY/ BRIDLES WIRES AND THIS WORKS GREAT WHEN THE HOBIES ARE PULLED UP ON THE BEACH A SEA ANCHOR WOULD NEED TO BE TIED TO THE SAME AREA MY ADVICE IS IN THE PREVIOUS POST I HAVE BEEN OUT ON MANY DAYS AND HAVE NEVER FELL OF THE BOAT IN FACT I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT HAPPEN I HAVE HAD CREW AND CAPTAIN THROWN INTO THE WATER IN A END OVER END WRECK BUT THE BOAT WAS ALSO OVER ON THE SIDE OR IN TURTLE
AGAIN SEEK THE ADVICE OF A OLD TIMER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it would work some, but not ideal. I do not like the idea of having a bag in my PFD that is tied to the boat.

I have heard of people dragging an old main sheet or similar behind the boat to grab in this situation. You would have a small reaction time to swim to the line as it goes by you. I think if I was sailing alone in good breeze this is what I would do.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
SOME IDEAS ARE JUST NOT GOOD IDEAS....

Gary: With all due respect, in your first reply you didn't even answer the OPs question (Have you actually used a drogue?), but offered lots of other unsolicted advice instead. Now you're shouting (ALL CAPS) at him, again without answering the question. A little punctuation wouldn't hurt either. Not the way to get a newbie to give creedence to an "old-timer."

gorgar: I have never used a drogue, but there's a long thread on the catsailor.com Open Forum that might give you some insight:

http://tinyurl.com/7yy8a25

(If link doesn't work, just search for "drogue.")

From another old timer....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bacho wrote:
I have heard of people dragging an old main sheet or similar behind the boat to grab in this situation. You would have a small reaction time to swim to the line as it goes by you. I think if I was sailing alone in good breeze this is what I would do.

I seriously doubt you would ever be successful at grabbing the rope AND holding onto it. For starters, if your line is 50 feet long and the boat is travelling at 15 MPH, that gives you just over 2 seconds to orient yourself, find the line, swim over to it and grab it. Keep in mind that the end of the line is moving at 15mph, is virtually invisible, and could very well be underwater. Then, once you grab the line, you have to try to hand hold onto a boat which weighs 350lbs or more and is travelling at 15MPH or so. All I can say is good luck.

Unless you're sailing in an offshore race like the Tybee 500 where you're miles away from land and other boats/sailors, there is really no need for a tether or drogue. If you follow the age old practices of 1) notifying someone on land of your expected departure and arrival times, 2) sailing with other people whenever possible, 3) sailing within your ability, 4) staying within sight of land, and 5) always wearing a life jacket, then you should be safe. It also dosen't hurt to carry a cell phone or VHF radio.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SRM, your right. I was thinking of that more along the lines of catching your boat after it capsized. Definitely not fool-proof.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply, and don't worry about the cap locks. I like to invent things so come this summer i'm going to try this first i'll throw the sea anchor and see how fast it slows or stops the boat. Then if it works i will use a break-away coupling that releases from the pfd when pulled on. the thought is once you fall in the rope will become taught then pull out the sea anchor out of a pouch on pfd, then as pressure from the boat pulling away the rope releases from your body , the sea anchor inflates with water and the coupling frees you from the rope and then you can swim freely and hopefuly catch up to the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

not shouting I just have a really old very small computer moniter and it really helps me check what I have posted
And well well well you really told me I will say again having extra ropes tied to your body or stuffed into your life jacket is not a smart thing to do on a high performance sailboat If the sea anchor somewhow fell off this would drag you right off or worse the rope caught in rigging. A good paddle and knife are much better ideas
I have gone to another country in MY motor boat across the Gulf Stream I have gone thru Hatteras Inlet in 14-17 seas again as the captain I have come to the aid of many sailers and motor boats maybe even saving a life or two
A sea anchor does have uses in emergencies in a motor boat when the engine dies or in a sudden storm to keep the bow into the wind it can also be used when going into a inlet with following seas to keep the boat on heading and not to drop over the waves in front of the boat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Be careful. There is a reason people carry knives in their life vests. People die every year getting tangled up in lines after their boat goes over. Personally, I'd want to keep things as clean and simple as possible on the tramp.

The VHF attached to the vest is a very good idea. I've had some people recommend a wearable GPS as well.

Of course, in my case, my boat likes to go turtle in about 15 seconds so it won't drift too fast :roll: .

cramsailing.com

Last edited by rehmbo on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advise, :o by your pic i had the same sails and hobie 16 went to a wave because of the speed generated on the delaware bay. way to fast with just one person.I'm slowly learning just found out the hard way that a zip lock baggie and a cell phone will not seal out water! Wife said she knew that! Oh well. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really? I ziplock bag won't keep out the water? I always use that trick, but have never had to test it. I thought I was safe.

Perhaps I will start to double bag my phone. (there has to be a joke in there somewhere).

Has anyone else had this problem?

By the way, I thought I would be tricky and get a VHF with GPS, but it is so large, it is uncomfortable to keep in my vest, so I usually just leave it in the duffel tied to the tramp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Spend the $20.00 and get a proper waterproof bag that floats for the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pelican type case, hard plastic, with see-through flip lid.
Many manufacturers have copied this style, around $20.
Bullet proof and they float, so tie it securely.

The only problem is that it's hard to hear when someone calls you...
mind you, who wants to take a call when you're on a screaming reach.