Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally got a TI, and it has been a blast both times I have taken it out... Once in light winds and then in heavy winds (love the reefing feature)!

My only current issue is that I think the downhaul cleat on my sail was installed upside-down. (Teeth run so that a line can only be cleated coming from above but not from below.) For now, I have just bowlined the downhaul line through the black, nylon loop sewn on bottom of the sail, run it through the hole on the mast base and back up to the bowline for a few half-hitches. Can anyone recommend a better/quicker release/adjustment system?

With the right riveting tool and rivets I could probably drill out the exisiting two rivets, flip the cleat over, and re-rivet it, but I don't want to end up messing it up... or I could just add on another cleat somewhere (stainless screws into the top of the existing cleat?). A 2:1 or 3:1 purchase with a click release cleat (which does not interfere with sail furling or movement) would be great.

I initially emailed Hobie, asking for help in un/re-riveting the cleat, or even to swap sails, but they were expecting me to pay to shipping of the sail to them for the fix, which I just didn't see as my responsibility (for an apparently incorrectly installed cleat).

Any ideas on a custom downhaul upgrade?

Thanks.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you brought it back to your dealer to check? Normally a good dealer would take care of it for you.

On the TI, the sail downhaul doesn't seem to need to be real tight, so you could probably just use the strap to tie both ends to, till you work out a more permanent fix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just drill off the rivet head and flip the cleat over - then screw it back together - you could just use a couple of stainless countersunk screws with lock-nuts to put it back together if riveting is too difficult.
The Factory can rework the sail for you, but yes, you would need to ship it back in order for us to make that repair.