Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sailing rig
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

last Question: #3. The sailing rig: I am an experienced sailor, however, my experience in a sailing kayak (a two-person Klepper folding kayak with jib, mainsail, and lee boards) has not been encouraging. The 17' Klepper is very slow to tack (it tracks amazingly well) and quite difficult to balance in strong gusty winds. It really needs outriggers. So my question is: how is sailing upwind in the Adventure? My guess is that, without outriggers, without the ability to hike out, without the sensitivity of a long tiller handle, it would be quite difficult to keep the sail flat and tight and work the boat upwind, especially when the wind is strong, gusty, or the waves are high. Comments?
-Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You described my experience with the Adventure very well, I was able to sail upwind, but felt I was on the verge on flipping at all times. Instead of trimming the sail for optimum speed, I was dumping air, to keep from getting dumped. I plan to get the Hobie out-riggers when they are available, with that stability and the dagger board, sailing should be much more fun instead of stressful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:31 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I have not had a chance to sail the adventure yet, they sell as soon as we get them in, but on the outback when I feel like I am going to flip I simply put one foot forward and the boat side slips a bit, because the mirage drive is flush with the hull there is not centerboard. try this on the adventure and let me know how it works.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
866-sun-jamm
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Most of your experience would apply to the Adventure. There are a couple of differences though.
1. The larger sailing rudder gives you much better control. Get it, even if you don't get the sail.
2. Haven't tried the daggerboard (I use the fins instead), but it is said to help upwind pointing and stability (especially with gusts).
3. With fins, you never have to worry about slow tacking again.
4. Sailing the Hobie is simple and quick: 1) drop the mast with furled sail in the hole; 2) attach the sheet and you're off! When you're done, just furl the mast and leave it as you continue along.
5. The sail, combined with pedals works well, especially in light wind. (The sailers marvel at how you "sail" right past them!).

In any event, it's a nice break from pedaling and paddling. In moderate to heavy gusty winds that you get in the Bay area, it'll keep you on the edge of your seat though (that's about as far as you're going to hike out). The outriggers might definitely be worth a try!8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using the larger rudder and dagger board with my adventure. It feels like I could get dumped in higher winds, but I don't know where that actual dump point is. It may just feel to a beginner (Me) that I'm going over, I just know it was stressful, out in the middle of the Ohio River with barge traffic out there.

I did not feel any sideways sliding going on, I suspect that was the dagger board doing it's job. I could definitely point it into the wind, I guess 45 degrees.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the responses. Great information about tacking with peddles and raising the fins to slip in a gust and stowing the sail. We do have mighty winds here in the Bay and I think I might concentrate on downwind sailing at first - I have had a lot of fun with my 8 square foot parafoil and will probably buy a 16 square foot one. The Adventure goes upwind so well that this might be a great combination. Then again, that sail rig is tempting...
-Jonathan