Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make my own H16 cover
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was wondering if anyone here has tried to make their own cover for their boat? Currently I am using a huge grey tarp that works pretty well but I want to try something a little more fancy while I'm in for the winter.

I was thinking about cutting the tarp with scissors, fold and hem the edges, and then to secure it, sew on some buckle straps for quick on/off. Something like this:

I was also thinking maybe doing the banana peel design instead of a 1 piece design. Might be quicker/easier for one person to put on.

I have never used a sewing machine but I figure it can't be that hard :roll:

My yellow hulls are just too shiny to bear the thought of them sitting out in the sun 24/7 365!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Zack,

I realize this post is over a month old now, but what did you end up doing? I am looking for a similar solution, and don't want to buy a cover for hundreds of dollars for a boat that I paid $800 for. During the summer it will be stored outside, and I would love to protect it from the UV with something. It will be exposed to plenty of wind, so it has to be able to withstand that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't done anything about it yet. I might try working on something over spring break in 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm in a similar situation too, my 20 year old cover is on its last legs. Before I take on the task of building my own cover, I'll probably drop the $5 for these instructions to find out what's really involved in building one.

http://www.sailrite.com/Boat-Cover-Inst ... wnloadable

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was thinking I want 3 separate parts: 2 banana peel covers for the hulls and one tramp cover. This would make it easy to install instead of dealing with one huge cover. Second, I would put a grommet in the middle of the tramp cover so I can attach rope to make a tepee sort of thing (for mast-up storage the main halyard would be the line).

As for the actual construction, I just figured I would hem all of the edges and then sew on some plastic buckles to keep it on the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have individual hull covers for my 17 and a one-piece full cover for my 18 (well had, its basically done now). The one piece is a little more of a pain to put on. I wouldn't say that either one is particularly easy to install though. They both require some degree of lifting the boat and crawling around to put them on. They certainly go a long way towards keeping the hulls shiny. That said, for my beach boat this year I may just make a tramp cover and throw an extra coat of wax on the hulls. Its a pain in the butt when it takes more time messing with the cover than it does rigging the rest of the boat.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What's wrong with a giant tarp? I just take a 20 x 30 tarp and make a tent over the mast. I use bungie cord and tie the loose ends up under the trailer. The shock cords keep the top tight so water does not pool on it.

Might not look cool (well, kinda looks like a hobo lives in my back yard) but it protects the whole boat very well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's nothing wrong with a tarp...I'm just dreaming here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
There's nothing wrong with a tarp...I'm just dreaming here.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am thinking that just a tarp would get torn up by the wind. I will start with just a tramp cover. I can work on hull covers later.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After some quick web surfing, I found that Top Gun may be a good material to use. It is very UV resistant, waterproof, and mildew resistant. It is similar to Sunbrella but much cheaper. I've read that you can find it for ~$11/yard. I'm no expert on fabrics but it looks like it comes in 60" widths so to make a tramp cover we would need ~5-6 yards (seam lengthwise down the middle of the tramp).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fabric and accessory suppliers...

http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html

http://seattlefabrics.com/

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/

http://www.sailrite.com/

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How did this go for everybody? I realize the thread is over a year old... but I'll be making my own soon, (I sew for a living and have an industrial machine) when I make a pattern, I'll try and post it. Thanks for the info on the fabric suppliers. Sunbrella is great, but thinking I might just use a heavy tarp like the first photo posted. Got to beat the $230 in the hobie catalog to make it worth it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't been able to get to it yet. If you do, please post the patterns! That would be very helpful to all of us!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My hull covers from Rooke should be here soon. I had to send my tramp cover back to have it slightly modified to fit the new style of jib cars. I'm sure his pattern is somewhat dated so I hope he is updating it to have a pattern for newer boats and older boats.

I got them in a nice logo red color. Made of sunbrella and stitched with tenera thread.
I'll have pics of it soon and I should have them at Mid Winters East. My plan is to keep the hull and tramp covers on along with a big tarp over that. That way when it comes time to use the boat it will be clean and ready to go and to also keep the color from fading.

They are pricy covers but the boat is new so its easier to justify spending this much on covers. So far our 1983 boat is still looking good and it has spent a good bit of time uncovered in the past. This boat should easily last us far longer.