Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the Hobie family
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy all, just took the plunge and purchased my first Hobie. Decided that my wife and I love to kayak and don't know how to sale so that ruled out getting a cat that I have been wanting. So we went down to the GREAT folks at Windward Boats on Oahu and ordered a new Tandem Island. Can't wait till Saturday when she gets delivered! Any folks on here in Oahu and sail/kayak on Kaneohe Bay?

~Topher~
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the Hobie Family! Congrats on your new TI purchase... keep us posted on your first impressions once you take delivery! (lots of other forum users from Hawaii as well, I'm sure you'll meet some of them soon too)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, did most of y'all know how to sail be for you purchased you islands? Any tips out there for a total sail new be

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i had sailed like 40' + sailboats in the past but was pretty much a rookie to sailing i would say :D

the only way i can describe it is 'primative saililng'. think about what the ancient polynesians used thousands of years ago. they actually conquered nations and islands using only these types of vessels as transport.

its real basic. you just put your sail up tight (considering the winds are light :D) and just practice going at an angle to the wind until you slowly start to learn what angles make you go faster and what angles are slower. then you can learn/practice a little on letting out some of the sail and how making the sail tight or making it a little more parachut-y (loose) affects the speed and how the angle of attack and everything affects everything else.

1 sailing rookie tip is to peddle really fast when making turns as not to loose too much speed when turning from one side of the wind to the other.

1 more tip. if you sail is out and you are going along and all of the sudden you start to go a lot faster than you like, you should let out the right hand black rope quick to put more slack in the sail while turning up into or down away from the wind quickly.

think of the direction the wind is blowing from as always being 12 o'clock, if you start going real fast you want to turn towards 12 or towards 6 fast.

when you want to pull your sail out it is easiest to point towards 12 (so the wind is blowing directly in your face, and paddle towards 12 while you let out say 33-50% of the sail, then cleat down all your ropes so that everything is tight and practice sailing around like this until you feel you can let out 100% of the sail comfortably.

if its really windy maybe you only need to have out 33-50% of your sail the entire time to still have fun :D

Last edited by rusty_sojah on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cool I just got my first 2 yesterday,,, and never even peddled a Mirage before,,, should be fun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rusty_sojah
Thanks for the sailing tips!! I will definitely keep them in mind. Now the long 5 1/2 wait till my Ti is delivered.