Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laughing now, not then
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While you really have to work at it or a comedy of errors strikes, you CAN turtle an AI. After actually pulling if off I had to laugh my ass off but I learned a few very important lessons.

While sailing off the coast of Ventura california on a beautiful day with nice wind I decided to pull the sail in, point her into the waves and and take a quick dip in the ocean.
My shorts caught something on the hull and my weight added to the force of the jump off caused the shear pin to snap. Ahh but my shorts held on to whatever I had hooked so over I went.

After 10 minutes of trying to right the boat with absolutely NO success it finally hit me like a ton of bricks so I spent another 5 minutes laughing at myself.

I have an anchor trolly on the boat and in the aft section I had a 5lb anchor AND Hobie Drag chute attached to the trolly. When the boat flipped, the anchor went straight down. (100' Line) The chute did exactly what it was designed to. The combo of the two...I would have been better off pulling a train with my teeth.

Sooo, if you keep either or both handy and available do yourself a favor and spend five bucks on a carabiner to keep them locked up close the the boat.

53 degree water can sneak up on you fast! Even with a 3mm wetsuit I used the Mirage for a mile or so to warm up. Sailing just dropped my core even more. I now have no less than 8 carabiners in the hatches

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry to hear ur story, glad to hear u made it back to tell us all.

I was out sailing my TI today and the wind kept going from 0-20+ mph gusts instantly. I tracked my sail with this new app I downloaded and will try to figure out how to load it later. It said I hit 10.8 mph and was at 10 a few times. I was wearing my 3mm wet suit and boots but my hands kept getting numb cuz the water is still like 40-50 degrees in annapolis md. I couldn't help but think how bad it would suck if I had gone in. It was about 53 degrees air temp when I was out but last weekend it was like 43 when I took it out so today was definitely getting warmer but still too damn cold.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=214718738023798183492.0004ba5f046cdc655cef1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear that a new waterproof smartphone is coming out, might make some apps more useable on a AI? I have seen an app for windspeed which works by using the microphone, one for GPS, another for AIS digital radio equipped boats another one with a sailing almanac in, the tides feature would be useful?

I suppose we'll all have to add a solar charging system as well.......ha ah ha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Weysail wrote:
...I have seen an app for windspeed which works by using the microphone...

While interesting, and fun. This won't work for a sailor. Trust me!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Because I go so far off-shore at times I bought a 6.5 full suit and 5.0 boots / gloves.
While not really needed here in So Cal nice to have stuff. Who knows, maybe I will go diving in Alaska...lol

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My motto is dress for a swim. The pacific doesn't warm but a couple of degrees in California. I too have the booties, fill fingered diving gloves and a wetsuit. The gloves and booties were a late addition after a strong wind out on the lake in early March.