Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transporting an Oasis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think this was lightly discussed quite awhile ago but I thougth I would ask again:

I would like to ask what your experiences are with transporting your Kayak's.

I have a '07 Ford Ranger (6' Bed + ~20" Tailgate). The Hobie Oasis be ~80# dry and empty and >14.5' long.

I am looking at this Trailer for a few reasons:
http://www.castlecraft.com/canoe_trailer.htm
I more often than not go out alone, so there is often some juggling that goes on (you know the drill)
I can keep it on it all the time - no more stands, old camping chairs, dollies, etc.
Shouldn't have to flip it over (onto the rails) for long term storage.
It should slip through the Gate and into my backyard with little effort.
Very light by itself and it has a low carrying capacity so it should travel well without beating the Yak to death.
I won't have to lift the Yak up (much) - then just shove it on/off.
Shouldn't have to take the Trolling Motor Battery (~70 lbs) out of the Yak before getting off the water.

I can install a receiver hitch and tailgater extender but that would mean 7' of the boat would be waving back there beyond the tailgate.

But it be $1000...........................................

I have a cheap Ladder Rack but I never really liked it and then there is that unloading the Kayak at the ramp and lifting thing again.

Thoughts???????????????????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing to consider are the state laws (wherever you are) regarding long loads. In Oregon, the law is that the load can extend beyond your rear axle by 75% of the length of your wheelbase. For my Toyota Tundra double cab this comes out to mean about a 13' kayak length. Perfect for my Outback. Not sure what state you are from but you might want to check your state laws.

Now, I doubt that one would be pulled over just to be measured, but if you were involved in accident (even rear ended) or stopped for some other reason could be an issue.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks, i will check

and Virginia..

Steve

update..
found this.. not really current but it agrees with what i have heard elsewhere:

Extended Loads on All Highways
Loads may not extend more than 3 feet beyond the front of a vehicle
or vehicle combination.
A load may not extend more than 6 inches beyond the line of the fender or body on either side of a vehicle or vehicle combination.
Any load extending more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the bed of the body of a vehicle or vehicle combination must be marked in the daytime by a red flag at least 12 inches square, and at night by a red light visible for at least 500 feet.

Last edited by sundancer on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have 2 Oasis' and went with a trailer setup and I no longer dread going kayaking. Car topping for me was an ordeal and I found myself not going as much, that all changed once I switched over to a trailer.

One suggestion I have is you might want to look for a lightly used jet ski trailer. I was able to find a really nice one, with a spare, 12" tires, bearing buddies, jack and LED submersible tail lights for $300 bucks. If only had one kayak it would have been fine as is. Since I have 2 kayaks I mounted bars from malone for under $200 and put saddles on top of them. So for less than $500 I have a nice setup and I'm in the water alot more. The only downside that I've found is that alot of the state parks in my state do not let trailers in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the concerns with a JetSki-type trailer is that i have a 72" gate and the trailer I am considering is only 53" wide and that they should be more heavily spung. i don't know if I could take the leaf springs apart (providing it has a small pack) and lessen the capacity and thereby soften the ride..

of course there is also the conversion time and expense. i can't (technically) park it in my driveway and work on it due to HomeOwners (PIA) Association rules..

(i don't abide by them now and this would send them over the edge.. :) )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You have lots of good options.

I really like scfa's trailer idea. At 56" width, a single is only 3" wider than the Castlecraft, and a used one can be had for a fraction of the price. Otherwise, the only potential problem I see with the Castlecraft is the saddles. They appear to be firm and straight; you want something that flexible that cradles the hull so you are less likely to get spot dents (especially if you're storing the boat on the trailer).

In California, the load length limit is 2/3 the length of the wheelbase FROM THE REARMOST POINT OF SUPPORT. Virginia may have no such limitation, but even so, the Oasis should be viable if transported in the bed -- it's 1 1/2 feet shorter than the legally allowable Adventure shown here on a similar sized truck (just watch your turns):
Image Image

On the other hand, you can use your lumber rack to go on top with your Oasis. The lift isn't too bad for most users, especially if you install an additional handle between the seats like this:
8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner..

i wasn't aware that a J/S Trailer was that narrow.

i was also considering a HarborFreight-type Utility Trailer and narrowing it (cut/weld)..

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:

In California, the load length limit is 2/3 the length of the wheelbase FROM THE REARMOST POINT OF SUPPORT. Virginia may have no such limitation, but even so, the Oasis should be viable if transported in the bed -- it's 1 1/2 feet shorter than the legally allowable Adventure shown here on a similar sized truck (just watch your turns):

It looks like there is a lot of variation from state to state in load lengths. You are lucky down in CA! I think Oregon's law is a too restrictive. I am close to the limit and it does not seem like my boat sticks out much at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I load my Oasis on the car. It's a small hatchback, same length as the yak.

Yeah, it's heavy to load. I use the Yakima Extendable arm boat loader to lift it up one end at a time.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-8004018.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

pdxfisher wrote:
It looks like there is a lot of variation from state to state in load lengths. You are lucky down in CA! I think Oregon's law is a too restrictive. I am close to the limit and it does not seem like my boat sticks out much at all.
Yes, but in Oregon, you can also get an annual permit for $8.00 that increases your allowable extension to 100% of the wheelbase (measured from the C/L of the rear axle). Still not a lot though. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is that handle a Hobie or an after market handle.

What is its size and how did you secure it to the Oasis to prevent damage to the Oasis or you when lifting?

Thanks Dave.

PS: Thanks for the official California data re overhang from our pickups.

Roadrunner wrote:

On the other hand, you can use your lumber rack to go on top with your Oasis. The lift isn't too bad for most users, especially if you install an additional handle between the seats like this:
8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Grampa Spey wrote:
Is that handle a Hobie or an after market handle. What is its size and how did you secure it to the Oasis to prevent damage to the Oasis or you when lifting?
I use these on all my kayaks (except the Sport and Revo 11 which are easy to handle without them). Here is more info:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8813&hilit

With the tandem especially, this allows you to rock back and let your hips and thighs carry the bulk of the weight
8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
pdxfisher wrote:
Yes, but in Oregon, you can also get an annual permit for $8.00 that increases your allowable extension to 100% of the wheelbase (measured from the C/L of the rear axle). Still not a lot though. 8)

Wow thanks for pointing that out. I did not realize such a permit existed. I am thinking of getting a tandem (or a triple) but was hesitating because of the load length. I will have to get a permit and a new kayak this spring or summer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Sundancer,

Last year I bought that exact trailer for transporting my Oasis. Prior to that I was loading it on a roof rack. That was the best money I ever spent and I would do it all over again. Both the Oasis and the trailer come in at under 200 lbs. I am able to run the trailer with the boat through a 55 inch gate with no problems for storage in a little side yard. Here's a couple of pictures of the set-up.
Image Image
The trailer and kayak can be pulled easily by anything that moves. Do what you think is best but I don't think you can go wrong trailering your Oasis.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

when i google the string "hobie oasis trailer," this is the first page that comes up, so rather than start a new thread, i thought i'd throw in my solution to this problem as well, (seems better than starting a new thread) ...

my girlfriend and i just bought a used oasis and with two weak kayak transportation choices (a convertible [can't roof rack!] and a 2-seater sports car), didn't have any practical means of getting it from point A to point B. i was looking for something small, manageable and -most of all- cheap.

after much web research, we bought:

* a CURT trailer hitch
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/11132

we orginally thought we were going to get a hidden hitch since many of the PT cruiser owners had them, but when we went to actually purchase, a couple odd things happened ... one, no one actually had them in stock (but they could always be ordered in a day or two) and everyone kept suggesting we get KURT instead. don't ask me why that was true, but a few details pushed at us:
    the hidden hitch required drilling, CURT used already existing mount holes
    CURT was in stock
    CURT was a touch cheaper
made our choice pretty simple.

with installation (which included bringing electrics from the front of the car), it ran a tad over $400. the work was well done (surgically so by rack N' road in campbell, CA).

* an extremely small harbor freight utility trailer
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-accessories/870-lb-capacity-40-inch-x-49-inch-heavy-duty-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

we'd looked at buying something used off craigslist ... all the modifiable options are in the $300 range (many with a free boat or jet ski attached -- disturbingly, many of them do not have pink slips), but after a bit more poking we discovered we could build our own just as cheap ... or cheaper.

as we started looking, we'd worried some about 8" wheels, thinking we might want to get the next size up (12"). an extra 40 bucks would give us 200 pounds of towing capacity, but after lots of reading, we decided the bigger wheels weren't necessary (and we don't have a lot of garage space -- bigger is never better there). an 870 pound capacity more is than enough for a 100 pound boat ++, so we narrowed in on HF's smallest utility trailer.

the trailers were on sale and with a 20% discount coupon from our entertainment book (of all places), we were paying $145 for essentially an adults' version of an erector set. this sets us up with a trailer frame.

the kit was in good order, although the undercarriage of the springs had just a touch of rust straight out of the box ... and re-packing the not-yet-rolled bearings (because they only ship with vaseline, not rolling grease) is a nuisance.

to create a bed (essentially a low frame box with a floor), we spent another $65 on better quality plywood, carriage bolts (flat tops for better use on the bed surface), four eye bolts (all the better to tie you down with, my dear), heat shrink for the electrical connections and pipe insulation (put it around the edges of the box to rest the boat on).

* a three foot tongue extension
http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=SJ85ERN

a seven foot trailer isn't going to carry a 14' kayak, so for another $100 we got an extension.

add $25 for a spare tire and we're in $335 for a brand new trailer that we have legal ownership of, know it's entire history and can modify to our hearts' content. to us, that seems like a pretty good deal.

following the oasis storage cues, we mount the boat upside down -- bow forward -- for better wind dynamics and less rudder abuse. a trailer, ideally loaded, will have between 55 and 60% of its weight balanced in front of the axle. the way we've set this up ends up being mathematical-dream perfect.

in this manner, we drove the 500 miles from where we bought the boat (morro bay, CA) to home (las vegas, NV).

it tows amazingly well. very straight. extremely low profile. i did the vast majority of the trip at the tire rating of 55mph, but a few longer stretches at 60 and a passing burst or two at 70+. through it all, the wheels/hubs didn't heat up any -- not in any way, shape or form. at something like 225 total towing pounds my car doesn't even notice the trailer was there (in fact if it wasn't for the occasional chain rattle and red flag flutter in the rear view mirror, i wouldn't know it was there). i've driven this stretch many times and i got 15% better gas mileage than when i don't tow because i was driving slower.

the only thing that wasn't "right" about the entire set-up was the pipe insulation we used was too thin and wore through to the wood. no harm was done to the kayak (yay) or the trailer (not that i would care), but we need to replace it with something closer to pool noodle thickness.

i registered the trailer with the NV DMV today (i lived in CA for 25 years and still marvel at how much better NV DMV is from CA -- and this in a state with no income tax). all the necessary paper work from harbor freight was complete and correct (people elsewhere have mentioned trouble with it). one inspection, a lobby wait, one long(er) staff conversation, and $80 later i had my registration and my plates.

i asked the inspector about her opinion on harbor freight quality ...

"so when you see something like this on the road, do you think, 'there ought to be a law to get these off the streets. they're a menace!?'"

she laughed. "no, no. we see a lot of these here. and you know somethin'? i've never heard a single complaint about them. not from the people who build 'em. not from the people who license 'em. not from the troopers. no one. not a complaint ... i guess if i think anything when i think about them i think, 'they must be pretty good.'"

i only have two concerns with this set-up the way it is right now.

* a hundred pound boat and its gear isn't quite enough to hold the trailer completely down. the trailer bounces a tiny bit. not very much. and (thankfully) not as much at higher speeds. it doesn't cause sway or whip, but it's there. i'm not sure what i'll do, but i'll probably either end up adding more weight, or taking a tiny bit of air out of the tires to tone it down.

* the entire set-up feels really long to me. the overhang from the rear of the trailer is just a smidge over four feet. i mentioned this to a CA CHP, had a couple CA sheriffs drive by me and talked it over with the NV DMV people and no one cared. i haven't had any trouble with it, but my mind percolates on it some. i'm red-flagging boat for for the moment ... i don't know what i'll do in addition to that in the future.

my apologies for this being so long winded ... but i've received so much information from these forums over the last several months that i felt i had to give something back (or start, at the very least) ... i've only had a couple of truly unique ideas in my life, and this isn't one of them. someone, somewhere, out there is working on this same problem -- they might want to look at my answers before they turn in their test.

thank you, everyone for all the pointers, tips and lessons you've put down over the years on these forums. they've made a tremendous difference in my life ...

... and i haven't really put a boat in the water yet.