Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I am looking for a place on the bay near Ocean City, NJ to keep my H16. I have young kids and would like to do more bay sailing than ocean sailing with them. I would like to find a beach site with bay access for the boat. If anyone has any good ideas I would love to hear about them. Thank you for your time.
Beechcrew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should contact Don at Bay Cats (www.baycats.com) in Ocean City. He's the local Hobie dealer and could probably point you in the right direction. Another option would be to contact Hobie Division 11.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've launched form two locations into Pecks Bay. 1st is Kennedy Park in Somers Point. This is a very nice park and boat ramp (Fee). The beach area next to the boat ramp has eroded over the years so there is almost no place to set up. At high tide there is no beach!! 2nd location is at the Upper Township boat ramp (Fee) between the Parkway and Route 9 bridges (near the Tuckahoe Inn). There is a beach close to the Parkway where you can pull up. If you have beach wheels, and the beach is not too crowded you can launch straight from the street to the beach and avoid the ramp Fee. What for overhead power lines. Wind direction can make getting under the Parkway bridge to the bay tricky at times. And Pecks bay has some shallow shoals at low tide. I've had to push off a muddy shoal once or twice. Both boat ramps are more suited for power boats and you need to paddle/motor around to the beach. I've marked both in Google Earth Community "i" markers.

I do not know of any mast up storage marinas in that bay. I'm sure you can pay dock fees, but I would'd storage my boat in the water. And I'd rather beach launch.

Do a search on this forum for New Jersy. There are a few good locations to laurch. Trixie's in Bayville is very nice (but it's a long way from Ocean City).

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have used the Kennedy park ramp as well. The lack of Beach makes that one a challenge. I have yet to find a decent place and god knows you'll never get a spot on the beach. I was about ready to build a floating dock to keep at the house so i can pull the hobie on. then we decided to put the house up for sale. Hopefully I'll be sailing the upper chesapeake soon!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info about the ramp at Pecks Bay. We stay in Ocean City on the bayside directly across the bay from the Parkway Bridge. I grew up fishing that bay and would feel pretty comfortable teaching the kids how to sail there. Either one of those ramps would work fine for me and probably be the plan of attack for this summer.

I just got put on the Beach permit waiting list today. The nice lady told me that the wait would be between 5 and 10 years as if she was saying 5 or 10 days. I would love to find another beach to keep it on for the season. I was hoping to find a bayside beach spot kind of like the one at the Tuckahoo Inn that would sell me a spot for the season.

Any more ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

yeah they told me the same thing a few years ago when i put my name in. One nice thing about Pecks now is they finally got rid of the draw bridge. you should be able to sail the whole loop from all seasons to the inlet. I'll sell you an awesome house in Anchorage Pointe that comes with a 50' dock ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

though not in or near OC, there are two ocean beaches in Sea Isle and Stone Harbor where a significant number of Hobies sail from. Both require a seasonal permit. I sailed off the Stone Harbor beach for a week 2 summers ago. it is a very nice setup there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reelknotty
Did you ever get the permit or are you still waiting the 5-10 years? Yes it is nice now with the draw bridge open and with the new 9th street bridge you could sail through the whole area without much trouble. If our place on Bayshore Drive ever sells I will check out yours in Anchorage Point, lol. I may sooner get a beach permit.

OlderBowman
Stone Harbor is nice but a little far to make the trip each time. Sea Isle may work, do you know if there is a waiting list there as well? I told my wife that there may be a good place to put the boat in near the Tuckahoe Inn which excited her. Although she thinks we may end up having too much fun over there. We do like that place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no idea if there's a wait list for Sea Isle, I'd call and ask at town hall. I live over 2 hours away up near Raritan Bay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ocean City NJ?
I have a beach permit and sail my Hobie 18sx off the beach at 29th street.
Our time at the shore has become more limited and we will be under-utilizing the boat this year. Storage is always an issue so I am interested in finding a partner that has a garage for winter storage. The boat has been rebuilt several times, new sails, wings, tramp, all rigging is replaced as necessary. Hulls were re-glassed 2 years ago.
Would want someone that has catamaran sailing experience as the 18sx is more complicated in many ways than smaller entry level boats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been a long while since original post but if taxfreetrader still has interest in a partner for H18SX, please reply.