Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TxYackMan wrote:
I too am interested in the GoPro.
How do you have your camera mounted ?

Seems to be some kind of trade secret. I am searching all over the place and can't find anything describing kayak mounts for cameras...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I answered that in the earlier reply to RR. :roll:
It's no trade secret. For this early mount I had some pvc pipe jammed into the rod holder and the GoPro roll cage mount over the pipe. I wanted a steadier mount and came up with this:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=28730
....which is what I use currently (if I'm not using a 2m tentpole with the GoPro on the end clamped using the bicycle seatpost mount)
Also checkout the new Photography Platform Topic on the AI/TI page.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Eiffel tower! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I meant that a length of PVC tube jammed into the S/B rod holder didn't really give any detail. I wasn't aware Gopros attached to PVC tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

why is there 2 strings coming out of the sail. Do you have pulley there?

On my rig, I have a line there that goes around the back (added a pulley on the back)...and that's it...just a single line coming out of the sail.

Also, since the Adventure is so long and narrow, are you using Outriggers? If yes, which? The Hobie Sidekicks?

tks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DavieFL wrote:
why is there 2 strings coming out of the sail. Do you have pulley there?

Also, since the Adventure is so long and narrow, are you using Outriggers? If yes, which? The Hobie Sidekicks?

tks!

DavieFL,
This video is of an Adventure Island (trimaran) hull used in Adventure mode(kayak only- no outriggers) with the small Hobie sail.
The AI mainsheet has a pulley for mechanical advantage with the larger AI sail, hence the two sheet lines. As stated, twice a week I travel to work in it and not wishing to change the rigging I keep it in standard AI configuration.
I never use outriggers in kayak mode but I do use the Daggerboard on all points of sail. I've found that's all that's needed for stability. The DB slows heeling and gives you time to react.
Funny, but I sail the kayak more this way than as the fully rigged AI. It's great fun on shorter trips but hiking out does get tiring. I've usually had enough after about 2 hours.
I save the fully rigged AI for longer more demanding trips than my commute. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
I never use outriggers in kayak mode but I do use the Daggerboard on all points of sail. I've found that's all that's needed for stability. The DB slows heeling and gives you time to react.

Hmm, so I might invest in a daggerboard before I think about an outrigger...and see how that goes?

tks stringy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, that's what I would do first and see how it goes. The DB really stabilizes the Adventure hull and is essential for sailing into the wind. These days I rarely sail with the drive in. If I have to pedal to keep moving then there is no point in sailing and I will drop the mast and either pedal or paddle.
I like the 'pure' sailing option that the DB gives. It's faster too as the drive dragging through the water does slow things down a bit, unless you are pedaling as well.
But then that's not truly sailing is it? :wink:
PS: I haven't capsized at all in the Adventure. Being able to furl the sail helps a lot. I guess you could keep more sail out if you had the sidekicks. I fitted them to our Oasis and they helped when I had two sails out but I just haven't felt the Adventure needed them. Even in strong winds and with a furled sail it will hit 8-10km/h no problems. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would like to echo what Stringy is saying about sailng the Adventure. Unlike the AI it is 'proper' yacht sailing and, while being a kayak and therefore tippy, if you sail conservatively and skilfully, capsizes will be rare. I find that it is far more fun and challenging to sail than the AI... and you tend to stay drier too!

I live in an area (Auckland) where the winds are frequently good (i.e. light) for this type of sailing and I much prefer the challenge of sailing over pedalling so I always take my sail and get a huge amount of use out of it. On one occasion I had recourse to use the sail to get me home when my drive broke at the furthest point from home of a long round trip (probably 7 miles from 'home') and then I was very glad of not having to paddle back against the tide with a fully-laden kayak I can tell you (you can read into this that in the right conditions sailing really can be a viable alternative means of propulsion to the pedals and paddle).

I read in a sailing magazine recently that:
"the amount of enjoyment you get from your boat is inversely proportional to its size".
In my experience never a truer word was uttered; and if it is true then any of the Hobie sailing kayaks has a lot to offer any would-be sailor!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with your sentiments Stobbo. The Adventure is a very elegant and pure little 'yacht'. The only area it lacks is in light winds where it seems to me the sail is underpowered for the weight of the hull. Then it needs a jib or or something bigger upfront. I find that in anything under ten knots of breeze the boat is underpowered.

Which brings me to mast. Does any body have any ideas for staying the mast so that a jib could be added for light wind sailing. Better still an attachment for the top of the mast to take the stays which allowed the mast to rotate the sail to be furled. Serious engineering I imagine. I think Hobie should work on such an idea for the Ai as well. That boat would look better with a jib or a spinnaker or something in between.