Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:

We try to portray Hobie sailing in a relatively positive manner. "Crash, burn and bruise" photos tend to scare away new people who think that it happens every time you go out (it doesn't).
<rant off>

Are you sure about this? I could be wrong.. Well.. At least that is what my wife tells me.. :lol:

I think if you are trying to sell to a young adventurous crowd maybe the possibility of some good minor injuries add to the adventure and excitement?

heck.. One of the best bruises I have had in my life (and I played rugby for years) came from the shroud on a H18.. We were trapped out up to high because the water was very rough.. and for whatever reason we were trying to see how high we could fly... Lets just say trapped out up high put my tipping point earlier than the boats tipping point and somehow my arm became pinched b/t the crew and the shroud. He ended up crashing into the mast, bleeding, and my arm was pulled down the shroud.. Leaving an awesome bruise.. Somehow the boat stayed upright..

Gawd.. That was SSSSOOOOO much fun....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt B, can you give us a link please to your H17 'adventure' in the H17's Nationals in SF Bay?

Can anyone find the link to the 'On the Wire' feature about H17 sailing/crashing?
That was another good report.

My experiences?...How about setting sail with the beach wheels still attached? How about the time the tie-down line from the beach wheels got caught on a shroud ring-ding without us noticing, and on the first tack, the mast came down?

Want to know about down-drafts from localized storm cells, which can take the wind from 5 knots to 30 in about 20 seconds? Yup, lots of swimming, complete with bruises, thumps and bumps.

The main thing is to be safe, have fun and enjoy.

later

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MAIN REASON I BOUGHT MY FIRST HOBIE IN 1971 I WAS ON MY WAY TO BUY A TRIUMPH 750 MOTORCYCLE AND ON THE WAY I CAME UPON A MOTORCYCLE WRECK AND A HORRIBLE WRECK AT THAT
GAVE IT SOME THOUGHT AND DECIDED TO GET A HOBIE CAT INSTEAD ALWAYS FUN NOT ALWAYS WITHOUT SOME CUTS AND BRUISES HOWEVER NO BODY BONES EVER BROKEN AND NO FLESH SEWN UP
I WOULD SAY THE HOBIE WAY OF LIFE IS VERY SAFE FRIEND AND FAMILY FRIENDLY
SOME OF MY BEST TIMES EVER HAVE BEEN ON A HOBIE AND I THINK THAT SPEAKS FOR MANY WHO WRITE IN THIS FORUM :lol: :lol:
I USED TO BE AN ADMIRAL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The boomless sail makes the Getaway a good choice.