Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been storing my PA upside down when I'm not using it,but lately I have just leaving it in the bed of my truck so I don't have to keep unloading and loading. That's becoming a pain quick. Can I purchase the saddle thing and just put them in my truck and put my PA on it? I'm just trying to save me some work and trying to let my PA's Hull from flat spots. Any suggestions

Post subject: Re: Storage
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be watching this post because I will interested in the answers you receive. I'm waiting to get my new PA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I store mine flat on the ground with some cardboard and scrap carpet underneath so it is not directly on a hard surface. have had zero issues with either of the PA's I've had. I would think there would not be an issue storing it in your truck..

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

Last edited by CB Kayak 02 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use to 2 old beach chairs with foam for extra padding.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use about 6 pool noodles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you think duck taping pool noodles together and putting it in the bed then putting the PA on top will be fine?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Redsman wrote:
Do you think duck taping pool noodles together and putting it in the bed then putting the PA on top will be fine?

Yes, good idea if you are concerned with storing in the truck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's how I will be storing my PA. Since I have the luxury of garage space, I decided to just build a rack to hold both the PA and the wife's Revo 11. Since it is taking up floor space in the garage, I decided to use the bottom area to store extra bags of mulch.

The center support is not attached to the 3 inch PVC so it allows the tubes to shift for a perfect fit. I had originally thought about making a storage cart the height of the truck tailgate, so that when I wanted to load/unload the PA from the truck, all I had to do was slide the PA on/off the cart. Then I could just roll the cart up under the Revo 11 or to the truck.

But for now this works fine. Tight lines!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces, very nice!
Quick question....my PA arrives from Hobie the last week of this month and I wish to build a stand for my outback and PA together like yours. Could you please tell me how far apart those two pieces of PVC pipe are from each other. I'd like to get started on the rack before my kayak gets here!

Thanks again Hutch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hutch wrote:
SRAces, very nice!
Quick question....my PA arrives from Hobie the last week of this month and I wish to build a stand for my outback and PA together like yours. Could you please tell me how far apart those two pieces of PVC pipe are from each other. I'd like to get started on the rack before my kayak gets here!

Thanks again Hutch

Hutch,

I just went out and measured. I used 3 inch PVC. The front is 12 inches from the center of one pipe to the other. The distance in the rear (center to center) is 11 inches.

I laid the pipe on the wood frame and then put the PA on the tubes. The tubes are roughly 7 feet long. With the PA resting on the tubes, I held up the "L" brackets and marked the tubes where I would drill through them for the bolts. I also marked the drill holes on the side of the frame at that point.

After removing the PA, I drilled the bolt holes in the PVC, attached the "L" brackets and rested the tubes back on the base. Then I put the PA back on the tubes.

With the PA on the tubes and the tubes sitting in the scupper hole grooves, I then drilled the wood screws in the bottom of the brackets. I wanted to be sure that the bottom holes were right before I secured it and not go strictly on the previously marked holes in the base.

The small wooden bridge in the middle really isn't necessary, but I put it in for additional support. The tubes just rest on the middle bridge.

I can sit in the PA in the rack and the weight is evenly supported by the setup. I'd build the rack and wait on physically having your PA to do the PVC tubes. Post a picture when you have it built!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you post more on sizes of wood and dimensions. I think this set up would be excellent for me. I have a Hobie Outback and have a Hobie PA on way. I want to be able to stack them like that may be an answer to my space problem. Great design!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I built a similar rack, but at tailgate height and on 4 inch castors. Roll it right up to my truck, slide the PA into the bed, and then slide the Native Ultimate that is stored above the PA onto the upper rack on the truck. Takes less than 3 minutes to load both yaks, and then I strap them down with ratchet straps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BEREEL wrote:
Can you post more on sizes of wood and dimensions. I think this set up would be excellent for me. I have a Hobie Outback and have a Hobie PA on way. I want to be able to stack them like that may be an answer to my space problem. Great design!

I'll go take some measurements and get it posted this evening. I really wanted to do what qualey99 mentioned and make a dolly for the PA that would roll into the base of the rack and allow for loading and unloading the PA like he does.

I'm still very happy with my setup. The top horizontal pieces that the Revo 11 is resting on are held on by metal corner brackets and extra loag screws through the 4X4s on the outside. It seems like it holds up great for the weight of the Revo 11. Time will tell.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BEREEL wrote:

I basically bought some 1.5X7inch by 14 feet sections at my local Home Depot and had them cut them into 2 pieces. That way If I needed to cut smaller pieces, I could do it easily with my handheld circular saw. Some of the wood can cost more than others depending on the width and thickness. This size was reasonably priced. I already had the 4X4 pieces from building the back deck on the house when we had it built in 2006. I guess it's good to hang on to extra lumber...lol. 4X4inch by 8 feet sections are not cheap.

I didn't include the deminsions for the small support peice in the middle. I just made it out of some leftover wood I had and made sure the height matched the 7 inch high side sections so the PVC would be level.

Here's a quick drawing I made up on Photoshop. The wood thickness and how you bolt it together can be up to you. I would not have made it so high if I had not had the controls for the lawn sprinkler system on that wall. I had to get the Revo 11 up high enough to not obstruct reaching for that control box.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you! It was very helpful.