Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI. I am ordering parts for my old Hobie 16. Based in South Africa and I need to know if the boat was made in South Africa or France. Does anyone know how to tell the difference. I looked for S/N numbers but nothing showing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Language-

OK, so that was of no help. The boats are supposed to be "one design" so parts should be interchangeable world wide. What parts are you talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't know about South African made boats, but I am in the US and own a European Hobie 16 (2000). There are definitely differences in some of the parts, but not all. The mast step, dolphin striker rod and dolphin striker are different as they use a metric thread (for the dolphin striker rod and mast step). The tiller crossbar is also shorter than on a US 16 (meaning the tiller arms are also differnt as they angle inward).

The rudders, rudder castings (upper and lower), trampline castings, extrusions for mast, boom, crossbars and sidebars all seem to be the same. Rigging should be the same as well.

So...my assumption would be that you might find differences between your boat and other...but it will be based on the part. Also...Hobie made changes to parts over the years so just the difference in year of your boat may have an impact on whether its an exact match for your boat.

Good Luck

2001 H16E (European Boat) Sail #108348 Cabo
1991 H14T
2006 Bravo (sold)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Contacted Hobie SA and the main difference is the jib traveller. French have the traveller track moulded into the extruded alu bar. On the SA produced Hobie the traveller rail is popriveted onto the alu bar. Oh, one last thing, the first reply is correct. The boat in France sails faster if you talk nicely to her in French.. PS. SA no longer produce Hobie. All imported and too damm expensive.