Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hull protection?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

xpresso2am wrote:
mayfield6 wrote:
Have you guys ever had any dealings with the "Keeleasy" stuff. It looks promising.

http://www.keeleazy.com/rapidcart/index.html

I have something in mind that is similar. Funny part is I'm in Plastics and I have some films that may do the job pretty well. once I get my PA in my hot little hands i'll try a few materials on it to see the fit and finish and test it out on the PA to be sure that the adhesives do not react in a bad way with the PA's "Skin".
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90539573@N00/6980335071/in/photostream
If all works out well, I can give you all enough to try it out for free! Thats the least I can do for fellow PA owners! I will call it large samples! have a great day!

How easy does that stuff cut? I'd like to give it a try and get creative with it. Not just as a bumper type application, but in some sort of a pattern that still protects but also enhances the look. Maybe a tribal tattoo type pattern, or better yet, 2 or 3 camo shades and make a camo pattern. I'm using my PA for duck hunting and deciding on what pattern to use. Maybe a stencil like this;

The PA is already the base color, so 2 or 3 pattern colors would be good, but even 1 color with the other colors sprayed on would work too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Also, I think some sort of peel-n-stick would be good for the underside that rubs on the shore when beaching the craft. I've been using a sacrificial duct tape, putting several layers on, then peeling off and replacing as many as got clawed up from the last trips.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had mighty line industrial tape on the bottom of my hull for over a year now. I bought their sample roll which was 6" x 10' so I cut it into two 6'"x5' pieces. Still holding up well. Been in salt water the whole time. Went out about 15 times last year with it. It's not listed for sale as a sample roll on their website anymore, but I'm sure if you emailed them they would sell you some. I paid $14 for mine. Just flipped the boat over on the lawn, cleaned off the bottom with rubbing alcohol and applied the strips. This is not a tape per se, it's more like a polyurethane plastic with an adhesive backing. It's very thick.

Last edited by megaweapon on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

atavuss wrote:
YakAttak has a product that is being tested now, it is called GunnAll Guard, I remember seeing a picture so I went looking for it and found this:
Don't know if this would work for you guys or not.

This is what I'm testing out now, I think this will do the trick... I sold the armor kayak above and now have a new PA so the yakattack stuff is applied before I beat it up too much. I will have a product review on it soon on my blog..

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking forward to the review. Tog season is just heating up and I dont want to damage the new pa .

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

xpresso2am:
I got the samples, thank you very much!

Question; do these have the adhesive backing? It didn't look like they were peel-n-stick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SkiPro3 wrote:
xpresso2am:

Question; do these have the adhesive backing? It didn't look like they were peel-n-stick.

I spkoe to Luther about it and I believe it is a peel and stick ......... I'm also a testor and it should be delivered soon .......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SkiPro3 wrote:
xpresso2am:

These are not peel and stick, just film. I'm looking at a few adhesives that may work, my biggest concern is to be sure that any adhesive i use does not react badly with the polyethylene, and it must be water resistant. I'm hoping to find time to it to my PA this week.

once I do I wil post up some photos.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

megaweapon wrote:
I've had mighty line industrial tape on the bottom of my hull for over a year now. I bought their sample roll which was 6" x 10' so I cut it into two 6'"x5' pieces. Still holding up well. Been in salt water the whole time. Went out about 115 times last year with it. It's not listed for sale as a sample roll on their website anymore, but I'm sure if you emailed them they would sell you some. I paid $14 for mine. Just flipped the boat over on the lawn, cleaned off the bottom with rubbing alcohol and applied the strips. This is not a tape per se, it's more like a polyurethane plastic with an adhesive backing. It's very thick.

Megaweapon, this material looks interesting. My Outback received more that its fair share of scratchs from landing and launching. I might give this a try.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Following this closely please post results

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys,
I ordered the "keel easy" stuff and got it put on last week. Made a short trip yesterday and launched from a concrete ramp. The stuff did its job so far. It stayed in place and appears to be much more scratch resistant.

" Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an easy cost effective method that I will share. I have recently switched over from the bass boat world to kayak fishing and there is a carry over product that will be perfect. You guys need a keel shield. It goes on like tape but its nigh indestructable and protects the keels of fiberglass bass boats. If you contact the company they will fit your needs in such a way that it will protect your boat forever,and not weigh the boat down anymore , and best of all it wont look bad. check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bassmonster34 wrote:
I have an easy cost effective method that I will share. I have recently switched over from the bass boat world to kayak fishing and there is a carry over product that will be perfect. You guys need a keel shield. It goes on like tape but its nigh indestructable and protects the keels of fiberglass bass boats. If you contact the company they will fit your needs in such a way that it will protect your boat forever,and not weigh the boat down anymore , and best of all it wont look bad. check it out.

Check out their website. It looks like its roughly 25 bucks per foot. Unlike boats that have a bow that raises up kayaks keels tend to run the whole length of the hull. So if one was to cover the bottom of a 14 footer that would add up pretty quick. Unless I am reading it wrong? Thanks for the suggestion that material looks pretty bomb proof.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

WoW!
They sure are fond of that keelshield stuff. I'm sure I could cook up something like it for a whole lot less than that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here you go Yak Attack GunnAll Skin Install and Review!!

http://thehobielife.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... unall.html

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next