Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let's start there!

New to sailing, presently own a Sunfish and want to move up.

Can get a 16' with trailer for $500, or a 18' with trailer for $800.

What do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It depends:
Your weight.
Are you sailing with a crew? If so, combined weight-skipper & crew.
Condition of both boats and trailers. You want to go sailing; not spend a lot of time and money on repairs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

richandpat wrote:
It depends:
Your weight.
Are you sailing with a crew? If so, combined weight-skipper & crew.
Condition of both boats and trailers. You want to go sailing; not spend a lot of time and money on repairs.

You will love this vague reply!!

One thing for sure is that I weigh 220 lbs. The friend with which I will be buying the boat probably weighs 175 lbs.

Hobie 16, good shape, sails including jib in goood condition, trailer with storage bin in good shape, $500.

Hobie 18,similar condition, $800.

Both!? :D :o :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyPointRookie wrote:

The best waterproof VHF radio you can afford and a full membership to Seatow (or the Mexican equivalent).

Inexperienced sailor + Cheap, little boat + Big Ocean = Recipe for disaster.

Seriously, if you want to sail on big bodies of water, you need a seaworthy boat. Buying a super-cheap boat means something is virtually guaranteed to break. Combine that with your inexperience and you're likely to end up in a dangerous situation. There's a reason the boat is being sold for $500. $500 boats almost always have damage, delmaination, corrosion, blown out sails, missing parts, or are otherwise worn out...usually only good for parts (if that).

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
RockyPointRookie wrote:

The best waterproof VHF radio you can afford and a full membership to Seatow (or the Mexican equivalent).

Inexperienced sailor + Cheap, little boat + Big Ocean = Recipe for disaster.

Seriously, if you want to sail on big bodies of water, you need a seaworthy boat. Buying a super-cheap boat means something is virtually guaranteed to break. Combine that with your inexperience and you're likely to end up in a dangerous situation. There's a reason the boat is being sold for $500. $500 boats almost always have damage, delmaination, corrosion, blown out sails, missing parts, or are otherwise worn out...usually only good for parts (if that).

sm

Very good advice on the VHF radio!

The area that I am at is in a bay with pretty smooth and very predictable weather.

The boats are perhaps sold cheap because there is no market for them? What would you recommend I check most carefully?

The 16 I could sail prior to buying....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyPointRookie wrote:
What would you recommend I check most carefully?

There are NUMEROUS threads already on this site about what to look for in a used boat. Do some internet searches and you'll come up with tons of info. I'm not going to rehash it all in full detail again.

In general, the hulls need to be sound with zero soft spots or structural damage. All aluminum extrusions (mast, boom, crossbars) need to be sound with no dents, cracks, or excessive corrosion. Sails should be at least servicable with no tears, heavy wear, heavily corroded fittings, or missing battens. Rudder system should be complete and functional. Standing rigging should be no more than 5 years old and all hardware should be in good condition. The boat should include all parts necessary to rig completely and properly.

It is highly unlikely that a $500 boat will meet all these criteria. Best case scenario, it takes several hundred bucks to bring the boat up to servicable condition. Worst case scenario, you blew $500 hauling away someone else's junk.

Best to educate yourself a little before just jumping into this.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
RockyPointRookie wrote:
What would you recommend I check most carefully?

There are NUMEROUS threads already on this site about what to look for in a used boat. Do some internet searches and you'll come up with tons of info. I'm not going to rehash it all in full detail again.

In general, the hulls need to be sound with zero soft spots or structural damage. All aluminum extrusions (mast, boom, crossbars) need to be sound with no dents, cracks, or excessive corrosion. Sails should be at least servicable with no tears, heavy wear, heavily corroded fittings, or missing battens. Rudder system should be complete and functional. Standing rigging should be no more than 5 years old and all hardware should be in good condition. The boat should include all parts necessary to rig completely and properly.

It is highly unlikely that a $500 boat will meet all these criteria. Best case scenario, it takes several hundred bucks to bring the boat up to servicable condition. Worst case scenario, you blew $500 hauling away someone else's junk.

Best to educate yourself a little before just jumping into this.

sm

Thank you very much. As I have stated, the 16 which is selling for $500 I will be able to sail prior to buying, therefore giving me the opportunity to fully check it out prior to spending the $500...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let's assume that both boats and trailers are in equally good shape.
This is a tough call.
Your combined weight is probably near the upper limit for the H16 to sail and go fast and have lots of fun. The H18 would be better.
BUT, if you're in an area where parts for both boat and trailer are hard to come by - Then I'd definitely recommend the H16. Parts are more available. Online shopping-Hobie, Murrays Marine, e-Bay.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

richandpat wrote:
Let's assume that both boats and trailers are in equally good shape.
This is a tough call.
Your combined weight is probably near the upper limit for the H16 to sail and go fast and have lots of fun. The H18 would be better.
BUT, if you're in an area where parts for both boat and trailer are hard to come by - Then I'd definitely recommend the H16. Parts are more available. Online shopping-Hobie, Murrays Marine, e-Bay.....

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and helpful response.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
The area that I am at is in a bay with pretty smooth and very predictable weather.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. in October on the Friday before Pinata Regatta we all went for a sail down to the Estuary, 2 of the 18's ended up turteled in 25 to 30 winds and 4'-5' seas both needed help. It comes up quick there.

If your there for Cinco De Mayo Regatta come by Playa Bonita lots of helpful people will be there for the race. If you get a boat before come out and race with us.

Sam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SHayes wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. in October on the Friday before Pinata Regatta we all went for a sail down to the Estuary, 2 of the 18's ended up turteled in 25 to 30 winds and 4'-5' seas both needed help. It comes up quick there.

If your there for Cinco De Mayo Regatta come by Playa Bonita lots of helpful people will be there for the race. If you get a boat before come out and race with us.

Sam

Thanks Sam, sounds great. I will make sure to make it if I am around which I believe that I will and hopefully I will have more than a Sunfish to race with! LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is strongly recommended to have it checked out by an experienced Hobie sailor if possible, since a boat that cheap will need work to make it safe. A catamaran is a fast boat and can get you pretty far from help pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Skipshot wrote:

It is strongly recommended to have it checked out by an experienced Hobie sailor if possible, since a boat that cheap will need work to make it safe. A catamaran is a fast boat and can get you pretty far from help pretty quickly.

I like the "pretty far, pretty quickly" quote! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How does a Prindle 18 compare to a Hobie 18?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyPointRookie - It appears that you're doing your research before you buy, and I think that's great!
You mentioned earlier about a H16 & H18, both with trailers. Is there also a Prindle 18 with a trailer for sale??? Sale price? Condition?
H18...Prindle 18....If they are both equal I'd go with the Hobie 18 for two reasons: (1) These Hobie Forums. I don't believe there's a Prindle forum. (2) Cinco De Mayo Regatta where you can go with your Hobie and get some "hands on" help and advice. You admitted to being new to sailing.
Keep asking questions before you buy. You're a smart man.
Read other comments on these forums about what to look for when checking out a used boat and trailer for sale. Check the Hobie 18 portion of these forums.
Good Luck!
Richard