Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

richandpat wrote:
RockyPointRookie - It appears that you're doing your research before you buy, and I think that's great!
You mentioned earlier about a H16 & H18, both with trailers. Is there also a Prindle 18 with a trailer for sale??? Sale price? Condition?
H18...Prindle 18....If they are both equal I'd go with the Hobie 18 for two reasons: (1) These Hobie Forums. I don't believe there's a Prindle forum. (2) Cinco De Mayo Regatta where you can go with your Hobie and get some "hands on" help and advice. You admitted to being new to sailing.
Keep asking questions before you buy. You're a smart man.
Read other comments on these forums about what to look for when checking out a used boat and trailer for sale. Check the Hobie 18 portion of these forums.
Good Luck!
Richard

Thank you very much for your flattering words, and yes, I am typically someone who thoroughly researches things before jumping in. The best advice so far was to get the highest quality portable VHF radio, I had not thought about that one. Then I will get the frequency of the port and the Mexican Coast Guard. Also perhaps getting a second radio to leave on shore with a friend when I am out sailing. I like to cover all my bases! Furthermore, I will get a waterproof bag for my cell phone and have the number of a few local fishermen who may be ready to help for $50. Hopefully I will not need any help at any point but again, I like to be safe.

Here are the two 18' boats:

Prindle: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2836367518.html

Hobie: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2879677346.html

Unfortunately, the 16 Hobie is located right here in Mexico right down the road from where I am. The owner will probably rig it and sail it with me prior to me buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyPointRookie wrote:
richandpat wrote:
Furthermore, I will get a waterproof bag for my cell phone and have the number of a few local fishermen who may be ready to help for $50.
Before risking your cell phone check to see if you get a signal off shore. The reason for the VHF radio is because many boaters and rescue personnel will have one and may be monitoring it. If you call your fisherman friend he may not be near his boat and may have to call around looking for someone who can help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Skipshot wrote:
RockyPointRookie wrote:
richandpat wrote:
Furthermore, I will get a waterproof bag for my cell phone and have the number of a few local fishermen who may be ready to help for $50.
Before risking your cell phone check to see if you get a signal off shore. The reason for the VHF radio is because many boaters and rescue personnel will have one and may be monitoring it. If you call your fisherman friend he may not be near his boat and may have to call around looking for someone who can help.

Yep. Thank you all for your advice and concerns. Safety first over here, I will not head out too far in the Sea of Cortes prior to being a much more accomplished sailor with all the appropriate safety gadgets in hand! Just not sure how many boaters use VHF radios here in Mexico, that's all. I will thoroughly research it all!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Both ads have been deleted, RPR....

Did you get one of the boats? I am in the Phoenix area and would be able to help should you want it....

See you at Cinco! 8)