Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish finder wires
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im mounting a lowrance elite 5 dsi on my outback and i want to bolt the transducer to the rudder. I have ordered two medium cable clam thru hull wire seals. but would like to drill as few holes as possible. has anybody run their wires thru the rear drain hole? I have seen pictures of it beeing done but question the integrity of the seal. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Fish finder wires
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would not recommend running your wires thorugh your drain plug. It's better to use a through hull wire cap and run them through the deck of your kayak in an area that is above water line. It's tough to get a 100% waterproof seal when running fishfinder wires through the deck and bringing them through the drain plug would in my opinion create a possible safety hazard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah thats what i figured just thiught id ask ive already got the cable clams any way. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do you like that unit? I am looking at one for my PA. Lowrance has a new thru the scupper mount available that looks interesting. My impression is that it would not work well for a "thru-hull" application.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i love the unit have had no problems with it so far. Lowrace does not recomend mounting the dsi model tranducers shoot thru huul style as it would distort the image. I ended up mounting the transducer to the rudder with no distortion to the image at all, its great to be able to pull the transducer out of the water when beaching or goingover rocks. I did look in to the lowrwnce scupper mount but i dont think it has been released yet but i could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello from Singapore.

I am new member here having just acquired a hobie sport that I shipped in.
I am about to install a fishfinder. I have the forums and realise the need for water proof seal for the fishfinder wires.These are the seal that I wish to buy :-

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... Seal-(clam)/

I want to use a basic garmin echo 100 first and I hope to upgrade
to a hummingbird 385 c in the not too distant future.

My question is what size clam seal should I get- the small, medium or large for the garmin echo 100 and the hummingbird 385 c?[

thank you in advance

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Cudas,

I tried to look at your link but I could not get it to work. Also, I think that your question would be better answered by a Garmin or Humminbird expert. Hobie only carries the Lowrance fishfinders and wire caps that work for their cables, although they would probably work for Garmin and Humminbird too. Perhaps someone else here on the forums who owns one of those units can help you out with selecting the best wire cap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always just used the rubber stoppers and they've been fine. I started my install last night after I saw another PA where they attached the transducer to the bottom with marine goop and ran the wire through the scupper hole. I called Lowrance and they confirmed that the through the scupper mount won't be available for another couple of months. I have to finish my install tonight so I can be on the water in the AM!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

here is the link

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... %29/Detail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did mounting your Xdcr on the rudder efect the use/directional efectivity of the rudder??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No loss of manuverability, but it did make it a little more difficult to raise and lower the rudder with the pull chord, buut not a big deal. Keep in mind i did this modifacation before lowrance released its thru scupper trans ducer mount that came out a while back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the scupper mount first but a little concerned about damaging the xdcr when beaching - will see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the scupper mount first but a little concerned about damaging the xdcr when beaching - will see.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yeah thats what i was wooried about when i saw what lowrance was putting out back in august. Even though the trans ducer sits in the chanel between the keel and side of the yak you could still hit it with a rock very easily. When im in the shallows fishing rock piles i dont lock my rudder down so it an lift over boulders.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

slashtrain wrote:
i love the unit have had no problems with it so far. Lowrace does not recomend mounting the dsi model tranducers shoot thru huul style as it would distort the image. I ended up mounting the transducer to the rudder with no distortion to the image at all, its great to be able to pull the transducer out of the water when beaching or goingover rocks. I did look in to the lowrwnce scupper mount but i dont think it has been released yet but i could be wrong.

Hey there, a long while to revive this thread, but how did you run your transducer into the kayak? I'm looking to mount my Elite 4x transducer on the rudder, but the connector wont fit through the drain hole, and I'm loath to drill holes in the deck....