Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowrance DSI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone have one? I read that the optimum speed for image quality is between 2 and 10 mph. Does that make them useless for just coasting around in a Kayak, which I'm guessing is less than 2 mph? I typically fish real slow, except when trolling; and I'm guessing that MAYBE I hit 3-4 mph (?) only when cruising to and from a location. Just how fast do you guys fish anyway? Or would you use this more maybe when scouting out locations rather than when actually fishing? Your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Lowrance DSI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered the Elite 5 Gold DSI with the Lowrance scupper hole mount and should be here this week. I will post and let you know if no one else does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A couple of guys in our fishing forum (NorthWestKayakAnglers) have purchased them. So far, so good in their opinions. I am trying to come up with the $$ to get one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lowrance has a mail in rebate for a $100 on the Elite Gold DSI on there website.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed the Elite 4X DSI last month. I mounted the unit right next to the Humminbird 160 I have been using for the last three years so I can see both machines at the same time while I'm fishing.

The Elite shows a limited side view and with show dock pilings at a distance of about 6 feet. The screen is very clear and easy to read. It has some refelective problems the Hummingbird dosen't have in some light conditions.

I trolled across a large school of fish over a wreck. Both machines recorded the school equally well. As I continued past and the school thined out the Elite showed many straggelers that went un recorded on the Humminbird.

Bottom readings were near identical on both machines, Elite showed more detail. Humminbird transducer is mounted in putty shooting thru hull, Elite Transducer is outside mounted thru Hull even with the center keel of my Outback. Photo's to follow.

Water temp readings were near identical.

I wish the Elite 4X had a fish alarm. Bottom alarm works great.

I made a video of both screens as I went through the school but the elite reflected too much light and was unreadable on the video. Will try again and post the result.

So far I like the Elite 4's detailed bottom readings and limited side scanning but find myself wondering if I really gained much advantage for the $130 price difference.

I am still learning the Elite and will continue to fish my well known areas to find out what the Humminbird may have been missing...or what new the Elite can show me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpinfisherBob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is some video of the ELite 4X DSI next to a Humminbird 160.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1152309821 ... directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/1152309821 ... directlink

When I slowed down I snaged the lump shown on the DSI.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob - Thanks for the comparison. Very helpful. Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I mounted the DSI transducer through the seat scupper so I did not lose my cart...patterned my install after the Lowrance product...3/4" pvc and a heavy tie wrap.....I will post pictures soon..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Mark 4 DSI will be here on Wed. Please post your photos of just how you mounted your transducer. I was going to mount mine to the rudder but now you have me rethinking this. I am thinking about mounting the face of the unit in the hatch just in front of my seat. Hobie Sport. I found a very nice waterproof box with battery all rigged and ready to go on one of the kayak goodie web sites. How small a target can you see? Like a fishing lure? Plastic worm?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On Friday morning I start drilling more holes in my kayak. Sure would like to see the photos of your build. The transducer that came with my unit is about as big as your middle finger. Is this the transducer you used? Anyone want to jump in and post some photos or other info?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for the delay....I was fishing....
I just snapped thes pictures...on the way out again...the Bass are really starting to move...If you have questions, post the picture number and I'll comment...........Peace
https://plus.google.com/photos/11523098 ... 6287151761

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now I see!, said the blind man. Now I understand. Thankyou very much for the quick post of the photos. I have the Hobie Sport and my seat plug is dead center. I like your rig but I am thinking of mounting my transducer to my rudder. As soon as I finish drilling, and sawing I will post some photos of my kayak ride. Hope you hang a monster!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just received my Mark 4 DSI to mount on my Oasis. I am thinking of mounting the transducer near the stern to the right of the keel. I think it will be the most protected there. I figured I will use the plastic mounting bracket turned around backward - the sloped bracket follows the hull line pretty well that way and puts the transducer just above the bottom of the keel. I will have to saw off the end of the bracket in order to slide the transducer on from the wrong direction, and use a screw or something to keep it from slipping off. I will post pictures when I get it done (if I go that route). I will run the cable through the rear drain plug hole. That will require drilling it out a little larger to get the transducer through. I have already made a foam plug to seal the opening.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the 2011 Oasis also and I'll be interested in seeing pictures regarding how the transducer sits near the keel.

I called the project manager for Lowrance regarding scupper transducer mount solution. I'm consdiering the Elite 5 DSI Gold, primarily because of the coastal mapping so I can store waypoints. Lucas told me that the transducer can be a thu hull set up with minimal image degradation even though the tech support said otherwise. He's the project manager so I suppose he'd know.

It appears that the imaging detail/clarity of DSI (Down Scan Imaging) sonar, is significant vs prior technology. A worthwhile investment IMO. Lucas said he would send me pictures with images as a shoot through hull set up.

Here is a video demonstrating the scupper transducer mount on a Hobie Outback I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1pXAbaX-Y

Here is a quick view of some images on a DSI unit vs. a traditional ff imaging. Pretty compelling difference I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGjJQuGovtQ

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I made my first night trip 3-22-12 and used all the color palate's available on the Elite 4X DSI...the screens showed all the detail I expected, but the screen was just to bright in every case. The only thing I have come up with so far is to make a plastic "sunglass" with dark auto window tint. Otherwise, I will not be able to use the machine at night. Any ideas?