Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So what had happened was… I purchased a Ti about 3 weeks ago and the weather has just not been cooperated with us to be able to take it out. Well last Sunday the wind was up and the bay was a little choppy with small white caps. We decided to take our new Ti out on its first trip. This was also our first time to ever use a Hobie and our first time to try and sail anything. We have been kayaking out on the bay of about a year so we know our way around in somewhat. We had a blast flying up and down the bay I never thought the kayak would be that fast under sail. When we set out on our sail I had forgotten to tighten down our 3 battens on the sail. I was piloting from the back seat and my wife was in the front. The wind started gusting and was becoming stronger than we felt comfortable with. So I let the wind out of the sail and it started to flop about she was not quite strong enough to reef the sail in quickly and while it was flopping around our middle batten flew out! My question is will it hurt my sail to go out without the middle batten until I can order one?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bottom line is no, as long as you don't stress the sail by using it in strong winds. Just ensure that the sail isn't allowed to flog, as this tends to do the most harm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Hawaii and other windy places you need to tie the baton caps on better than Hobie's instructions.

I tie a permanent loop like an overhand loop to one of the grommets. I then loop through the baton cap loop and tie it on (square knot?). I then tighten through the other grommet and tie it on (another square knot?). I then check the length to the cleat on the baton cap and tie a figure-eight knot and cleat it. Finally, I tie the extra line through the first grommet and use a few half-hitches to use up the tail.

Has Worked for me for over 5 years after I lost my first baton.

Also, the batons on the TI don't need to be real tight. If too tight, they may wear through the bottom of their pocket. I just lost one this new way. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well thanks to the good folks at windward boats I have a new batten. They did not have it in stock so Ryan grabbed one off one of there other boats to get me back out on the water till it comes in. Now to try and find a fix for my tramp buckle that broke on the first trip out with my 115 lbs wife sitting on it. I thought they where good to 200 lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Topher wrote:
Well thanks to the good folks at windward boats I have a new batten. They did not have it in stock so Ryan grabbed one off one of there other boats to get me back out on the water till it comes in.
Another great dealer!