Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H17 Boom needs work
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey the boom I picked up for my H17 needs some work so I am looking for experienced advice.

First problem: the cable for the outhaul is very rusty from the outhaul slug it connects to and about 6-8 inches from there them is clears up. I would have expected SS cable here but you would not think that looking at it. Maybe it was replaced by someone and they didn't use SS IDK. How hard to replace? Do I buy one or make one? What doe the inside of the cable look like, connect to? I have a rivet tool so I don't mind drilling out the end castings.

Second problem I am missing the eye on the end that connects to the goose neck on the boom. I have no idea if my connection is the old or new style but I assume old. The boat is an 86. it look like I can get this Murrays. How hard is it to put on?

Other than that the only thing I see is some corrosion at contact points like where the main sheet attaches. I don't know if there is build up because of saltwater but I thing the SS what ya ma call it riveted to the boom is fused to the boom. Anodizing around it is very pitted. There are similar spots that are not as bad where cleats are mounted.

I appreciate the help.

Post subject: Re: H17 Boom needs work
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Replacing the wire part of the outhaul is very easy, but you will have to take the end cap off (drill out the rivets). You'll need a small Nicropress tool to crimp the ends (one on the slide, the other on the turning block. The wire is only about a foot long.

Likewise with the gooseneck part - take the end cap off and there should be an "E" clip or a roll pin that holds the part in the end cap.

The only complication is that with the amount of corrosion you're seeing, those caps aren't just going to fall out - they're going to need some "persuasion".

WRT the mainsheet bail, you're better off putting a new one on, a few inches forward of the original. The original ones were too far aft and put too much strain on the gooseneck when you're fully sheeted in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, the wire on mine is quite a bit longer than that. It must have been added somewhere which explains the degree or rust on it. it was probably not the right type of cable. The out haul line I guess goes in and through a thimble or something on the inside then back to a tie off point somewhere mid boom? or is there a block in there? I'll have to get some pictures.

The bail seems solid enough but it you think it helps significantly to move it I'll add that to my list of parts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Look in the track on the top of the boom, about midway - there should be a hole where the outhaul is dead-ended with a knot. It goes from there, through a single block swaged on to the end of the wire, then out through the slot in the bottom of the boom to the cleat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks about right except the cable is quite a bit longer. If I let the rope gp free and pull the slug forward in the track it will 2-3 feet which I know is way more than it ever needs to go.

It is temping to just cut of the rusted out 6-8 inches and re-swag that tp the slug and leave it but then if it is the wrong cable type I will just be fixing it again later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On an '86 the gooseneck on the mastbase pivots up and down, gets caught in the down position while lowering the mast and puts a dent in the crossbar. It does not use a vertex so the hole in the boom pin is vertical to match the hole in the gooseneck.
If you purchase the upgrade kit, you will get a gooseneck that does not flop around and a boom pin with a horizontal hole. This setup uses the vertex to get from horizontal to vertical. So with a new boom(horizontal hole in pin) and old goosneck (floppy) - all you really need is the vertex.
The kit costs about $80 - less than the parts individually. The only advantage I see is not having to tie the gooseneck out of the way when raising/lowering the mast. But that advantage will be worth the $$ when the mast is 90% down, your helper has walked away, and you realize the goosneck is getting pinched.
The kit also contains instructions about the new sheet bale location.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's good to know the difference because the boom has no pin right now I have to buy one. chances are the only one I can buy will be the new style If I have to buy one and the upgrade comes with one then I might as well consider that. Unless someone has one kicking around on a parts boat for cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am confused. I thought by "the eye on the end that connects to the goose neck on the boom" you meant the vertex - but you say your boom has no pin...

You have a boom with no pin? How can that happen? Does your boom have a forward end cap? Does the boom rattle like the pin is loose inside?

Does your mast have the old style gooseneck that pivots up and down on one bolt or is it held in place with two bolts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The boat didn't have a boom when it was given to me. I bought a second hand one and it came with no pin on the end to attach it to the mast. I would have to look at the mast again but I am fairly sure it is the old style. The boom still has the casting on the end but a hole where the pin would sit.

I believe this is what I am missing
$18 at Murrays

Is this the only thing I need otherwise?

Or do I need this?

The mast is hanging in the carport I'll have to look at it again and take a pic tomorrow or Saturday.

I think I just realized something, Please forgive me I have only sailed a Prindle 18 and mostly seen Nacras. On the Prindle the boom connects to a fixed point on the mast and the sail is loose footed. Does the goose neck on the H17 Move in the track and go up and down with the downhaul like this image?

I'll have to go find the PDF manual I had seen and look harder, it has been a while since I last looked at it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:14 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quarath wrote:
I believe this is what I am missing
$18 at Murrays
Yep. That's the pin that's missing.

Quarath wrote:
Is this the only thing I need otherwise?
Technically, yes, but -

Quarath wrote:
Or do I need this?
You don't need that, but it is much more robust and will last a lot longer than the stainless steel vertex above. The 17 puts a lot of stress on the gooseneck, especially if the boom bail is mounted too far aft (which it was on older boats).

Quarath wrote:
I think I just realized something, Please forgive me I have only sailed a Prindle 18 and mostly seen Nacras. On the Prindle the boom connects to a fixed point on the mast and the sail is loose footed. Does the goose neck on the H17 Move in the track and go up and down with the downhaul like this image?Image
No. The 17's boom attaches to a fixed point at the very base of the mast. There is no mast track there.

Last edited by MBounds on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The boom needs 2 axes of movement, one to move from side to side, and one to rise and fall.
If you have the new style fixed gooseneck, both axes are located at the vertex (or supergoose).
If you have the old style floppy mast/gooseneck, rise and fall takes place at the gooseneck/mastbase pivot and side to side takes place at the pin pivot hole.
If you use an old style gooseneck with a new style pin and vertex you will have 3 axes of movement and it will get all folded up under load. To use the new pin and vertex you must use the new gooseneck($27.30).
If you use the old gooseneck, that is probably on your '86 mast, you only need the old style pin that is longer and has a vertical pivot hole. It is not listed in the parts catalog but is available from packrats.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

michaellove wrote:
On an '86 the gooseneck on the mastbase pivots up and down, gets caught in the down position while lowering the mast and puts a dent in the crossbar.
ahhhh...now I know how that dent got there, thanks!