Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Tandem Island price
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When the Tandem Island first came out, I have a memory of it being in the $3K-4K range on sale. But perhaps I'm confusing it with the single seater? Has the price of the tandem increased since it was first released?

Which on-line vendor has the best total price?
Is there any chance I might find it on sale any time soon?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would have loved to get one for 4k! I just got a TI a few weeks ago on sale and it was over 5k and with all the accessories tramps, life vest etc pushed the price up to 6k. But worth every dime!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first year it seemed to be in the upper $4000's ($4695??) Now lower $5000's ($5249).

If you are buying a lot of accessories with it, some better dealers will offer good discounts on the extras or the whole package.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here in the US (pointing this out because these are sold worldwide and this is also an International forum)
2011 model year (which began middle of 2010) MSRP was $4999
2012 is now currently $5249
This pricing is only domestic in the USA, in Canada and overseas they have their own pricing structures taking currency conversion as well as import duties and freight from California into account.

You may have seen some introductory pricing somewhere - or at a boat show there could have been deals to be had - or on a demo...but the boat has always retailed either at $4999 (for those prior year boats) or the current $5249 - Hope that helps.

We always recommend using your nearest local dealer as these things don't ship well - so minimize the risk of freight damage, and the complexity of building the boat - if you have any questions about who your nearest dealer is please let us know.
Call toll free 1800hobie49 or click the dealer finder at the top of this page: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:

We always recommend using your nearest local dealer as these things don't ship well - so minimize the risk of freight damage, and the complexity of building the boat - if you have any questions about who your nearest dealer is please let us know.
Call toll free 1800hobie49 or click the dealer finder at the top of this page: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

I always find it funny when the American media portrays the image that you NEED to buy American if you are American, and then you see people try to buy online for the cheapest price.

Support your local dealer!! Keep them in business to help you out, and to help others in your area just like you. Buying online from a dealer several states away doesn't help your local economy anymore than buying offshore items helps your national economy.

(say's the Canadian!)

The Hobie brand is strongest when they have healthy dealers throughout the country and in several markets worldwide. If they only have a few online dealers, at the expense of your local dealer, you're hurting Hobie as well. It's all part of helping your American companies succeed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Could not agree more with the previous reply about supporting the local dealer. I am in the process of buying my first TI and the local dealer said that he has several boat shows coming up and has a special offer that he will extend to his customers. Ask yours if there are any incentives that he can extend. One more thought I have searched for about 60 days for a used TI only to find that there are very few and if they are in good condition the price reflects that, and they generally sell within days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@ $5.2k+ its just too expensive. There are plenty of used hobie 16s in the $700-$1400 range which come with accessories and trailers. Knowing that when its all said and done you will likely be into it for more than $6k, it just does not make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

split wrote:
@ $5.2k+ its just too expensive. There are plenty of used hobie 16s in the $700-$1400 range which come with accessories and trailers. Knowing that when its all said and done you will likely be into it for more than $6k, it just does not make sense.
But also keep in mind that 5 years down the road that same TI will probably still be worth well over $3000 used. AI's and most likely TI's hold their value well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just paid $4700 from my local dealer. They had several in stock in anticipation of an upcoming boat show. He said that when they run out of in stock I would have to pay full retail ($5249).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to agree with Split - it's real money we're talking about and these units are expensive compared with the options.

But every boat is a "luxury" item, and you can't compare used with new.

Several years ago I debated spending 4 grand on an AI, or a used cat, or a beater motorboat. In the end I don't have to hassle with rigging, trailering, registration, dock or association fees. I never spend a penny on fuel or costly overhauls. I can launch anywhere, fish all day and never watch the needle, and I can still get where I want to when the wind dies.

I can go out solo or take friends along. If there's no wind or I'm feeling pudgy, I can pedal or paddle the hull only, in kayak mode. At the end of the day, my rig breaks down, fits on my car and tucks up neatly under eaves of my house.

If I take care of my AI, its resale value will never fall off a cliff.

So if the price of a new Hobie causes you to choke, my best advice is to buy a used AI or TI - if you are lucky. Or coax a good price for the dealer's demo.

There are a few expenses/luxuries in life that you don't look back on and regret. This is one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

split wrote:

$5200 may be too expensive for you, but comparing a TI, to a Hobie 16 is like comparing an Airstream trailer to a Lexus. Both quite nice, but not at all similar! If the TI is too expensive, consider the AI, if you just want to get on the water, try a Mirage kayak, or a boat like my Bravo. There are cheaper options than a TI, but they are also much different boats.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tomorrow I am going to pickup an AI demo model 2011 from a local dealer for around $2600 C. Totally excited about it, i will take it out for halibut later in the week.
T2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We have probably spent close to 4k on our Oasis counting all the accessories. More if you count beach wear, trailer+mods, snorkel gear, waterproof camera... the list goes on. But keep in mind that money does not buy a big hunk of plastic and a few bits of metal. It buys the gulf of Mexico our local bay. It buys low hassle fun on the water any time we want. It buys family bonding and relaxation. I consider it money well spent. Sure I probably could have gotten some cheepo junk kayak off craigslist and 'saved' a bundle. But for all that 'savings' we would spend less time on the water, not go as far, and not have as much fun. Your mileage may vary but we are very happy with our boat….. and I am STILL on here drooling over Tis :P one of these days….

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Our local dealer offers a reasonable discount for their on-the-water demo days. Even better advice, if price is an issue, is to look for a used one. I have had my used AI for a year now, and extremely happy with it. I checked craigslist sporadically and finally came up with a fellow who lived six hours away, but was willing to deliver. Seems he was eager to sell to finance the purchase of a TI!

His "loss" on the sale is rather minor considering the two years he had been sailing the boat. I imagine if I sell mine in the next year or two for a TI, I would get back an even more significant percentage of what I paid.

Only problem is that used ones are hard to find.

What about looking for a used Adventure and adding the Island kit? I haven't priced that out myself.

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are not many used TI's for sale because there are not many TI's. It has only has been available for a few years....recession years. I did find one locally on craigslist for sale for $3k and it included trailer, tramps and accessories. But despite several attempts the guy would not respond. I suspect he sold it and was too indifferent to respond.

There was one that was just listed in Florida for $4500. It was too far to go and not the best deal. However, it is now no longer listed, so it was probably sold.