Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI trailer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My new single tandem trailer directions appear to be for an AI. Part number on info is SUT-200-AI. Is the cradle spacing different for the TI? Is there different directions?

Post subject: Re: TI trailer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the length of the cross bars. Everything else should be the same.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Clew,

I noticed the same thing when I ordered the Trailex for my one TI. The trailer that arrived said SUT-200-AI (indicating it was for an AI), but the boxes contained the longer front crosspiece for the front TI cradle, and the T-bolts were also for the TI cradles. I noticed that on the outside of the box someone had scrawled the word "tandem" in black marker.

As of this writing there are no instructions on the Trailex web site (or anywhere else) for building this trailer in a TI configuration. As such, I built the trailer per the instructions, and it seems to work. However, I noticed in the Hobie catalogue that the photos of the trailer show a slightly modified build from what the instructions indicate. Curiously, the Hobie build appears to violate the Trailex warranty as stated on a sticker on my trailer's tongue. I don't know if they simply disregarded the warning sticker, or if the pictured configuration is the actual TI build for the trailer.

I've been doing some web searching and there is a wealth of info on this trailer when used to carry a Sunfish. That trailer is called the SUT-200-S.

Here's a tip: I saw on some of the Sunfish forums that they recommend torquing all T-bolts to 30-40 foot-pounds.

Trailex offers some options & accessories for the SUT-200-S that are applicable to the AI & TI trailer. Here's the link:

http://www.trailex.com/SUT-200-S.cfm

I ordered the spare wheel (already have a lockable mount), a second set of tie-downs, and the bearing buddy set (at the recommendation of a friend).

I hope this information has been helpful.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found this link: http://www.trailex.com/Instructional%20 ... ctions.pdf
It mentions both AI & TI using different sized bolts on page 40.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ger wrote:
I found this link: http://www.trailex.com/Instructional%20 ... ctions.pdf
It mentions both AI & TI using different sized bolts on page 40.
Hope this helps.

Ger,
Thanks for the link. Those are the directions for the AI build that I was talking about... the ones I used to assemble the trailer. They do mention the T-bolts for the TI, but that's about it. There are no directions for building the TI configuration.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought and assembled the Trailex 350. Two things I'd like to point out for those who do the same thing. The main beam is two parts. The front part has the coupler and the rear part has a plastic grommet in one end. The instructions in the beginning of the guide tell you to put the two beams together and bolt it in place. No where does it indicate that there's a front and back to the second beam. Once the entire trailer is together you find out that the grommet goes in the rear!

When building the rectangular frame for the suspension, the text describes putting the frame together and making it square. There are pictures but they're not very clear since the photo is shiny aluminum against shiny aluminum. I put it together so all the square frame brackets were flush and square. The suspension didn't fit and hit the frame. After several iterations, I made the front flush and the frame brackets stuck out in the back almost even with the suspension hanger. The frame stuck out nearly an inch and a half to the rear, covering and nearly flush with the hanger for the suspension.

I hope that helps someone else building the trailer.

Jeff