Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for the lack response. I was at a banjo duel.:D 100% of my sailing was done on fresh water. I just hit the exposed ends with CLP after sailing. Now that I'm doing mostly Gulf/Bay sailing, I am going to experiment with dyneema.
All your Page 2 are belong to me.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You been dipping into the sauce lately Mr. Bounds? :D Some of your posts lately have me wondering... Just saying'.

BTW - where do you find those pictures - you must have an amazing library of them!

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

presto13031 wrote:
I was at a banjo duel.

Hey MBounds, I would not mess with those skilled with banj itsu!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm taller than the first, have more teeth than the second. And of.course my banjo is strung with galvanized wire from Home Depot. In all seriousness to the OP, could the fraying be due to Stress Corrosion Cracking caused by chlorides in the water we sail in reacting with the stainless wire?

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paddle faster I hear Banjo Music.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

presto13031 wrote:
I'm taller than the first, have more teeth than the second. And of.course my banjo is strung with galvanized wire from Home Depot. In all seriousness to the OP, could the fraying be due to Stress Corrosion Cracking caused by chlorides in the water we sail in reacting with the stainless wire?

There are a number of likely factors that cause standing rigging to degrade and fail - corrosion, cyclical stress (constant load and unload cycles), shock stress (from a high-wind gybe for example), damaged strands (from kinking or abrasion), coiling the wire too tighyly, or simply overloading the shroud. In my experience, most Hobie sailors tend to be pretty rough on their sranding rigging.

An interesting thing I found when looking into having larger diameter shrouds made by some different manufacturers (APS & Loos Co.), none of those manufacturers recommeded (or offered) coated shrouds because the coating allows salt water to be trapped against the shrouds which accelerates corrosion and also makes inspection impossible.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
There are a number of likely factors that cause standing rigging to degrade and fail - corrosion, cyclical stress (constant load and unload cycles), shock stress (from a high-wind gybe for example), damaged strands (from kinking or abrasion), coiling the wire too tighyly, or simply overloading the shroud. In my experience, most Hobie sailors tend to be pretty rough on their sranding rigging.

An interesting thing I found when looking into having larger diameter shrouds made by some different manufacturers (APS & Loos Co.), none of those manufacturers recommeded (or offered) coated shrouds because the coating allows salt water to be trapped against the shrouds which accelerates corrosion and also makes inspection impossible.

sm

I asked the metallurgist at work this question and he agreed that it is a combination of load cycles, overall stress and chlorides in the water we sail in (fresh or salt.) He recommended we switch to a Duplex wire, or a higher grade alloy like monel or tantalum. Or just replace the rigging at the first signs of wear...
If you can solve the abrasion resistance of Dyneema that might be the best bet overall. Dyneema plus "Dip-it" perhaps?

1986 Hobie 18 #13031