Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's kingfish season, and soon to be tarpon season...
I *had* an AI but never fished off it, I now have a TI and really want to fish from it. I also have a fully decked out Pro Angler, for my inshore/flats fishing, but wanna get the TI rigged up for some near shore/off shore king/poon/whatever chasing!

I'm just wanting to see some pix of some rigged up for fishing TI/AI to get some ideas on what works.

my big question is, if i use the rear rod holders, is there worry/issues with the sail/lines knocking them out? otherwise i may look into some kind of horizontal holder options.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try Yakass.net Detailed AI rigging for serious fishing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a website and forums dedicated to fishing with the AI and TI. I just got my TI and will be rigging it out soon, but we have tons of rigging stuff for the AI check us out at http://www.adventureislanders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thrashie wrote:
my big question is, if i use the rear rod holders, is there worry/issues with the sail/lines knocking them out? otherwise i may look into some kind of horizontal holder options.
Yes, on some points of sail they will interfere w the sheet. Usually, the rod bends out out of the way, but it always bothered me.

PVC bullhorns are the easy and cheap way to extend the rods out at 45 deg. There are many creative ways to fabricate these. The Yakass site has a simple, straightforward solution to bullhorns and bullhorn mounting..

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have had a new TI since just before Christmas and have been slowly kitting it out.
Here are a few photos of my set up.
Ram tube rod holders and I have just made the PVC tube bullhorn base to hold the holders a bit more firmly.

Rhino side loader boat rack for when I am going bush and cant take a trailer. this makes it easy to get on the roof without breaking my back.

Also built a trailer from an old jetski trailer and added an aluminium flat deck then the TI cradles. This makes it a one man job to launch and recover the yak from a boat ramp or the beach,

There are quite a few other good ideas and photos in the following thread as well as some different options for rod holders:
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=174447#p174447

Make your rod holders easy to get at, don't have them too far behind as it is hard to grab the rod when you get a big fish hook-up. Also make them fairly strong as a decent fish will bend the standard Ram ball mount down to the water really quick when trolling under sail in the TI or AI. This is why the bull horn type are becomming more popular as they hold at the same angle fairly well.

Also make up some rod leash or bungy chord and clips to secure your rods with or you may loose them.

Cheers
Geordie