Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys,
Took the Revo out for a peddle today, to see wether I had fixed the problem.
Sadly, it was a fail. :(
After 10 min. ( after I stoppped watching & concentrating ), the LH C&G released, much to my frustration. from then on I watched intently, and though I
didn't see it release again, when I rechecked the LH C&G, I found it half way from releasing. Back to the drawing board.
But all was not bad.
The change in the Mirage drive since following Roadrunners post on tuning, and Yakaholics post on greasing, has been a total success. :D
OMG, What a difference.
At my normal peddling rate I used to run about 6.3-6.5 kph.
now at the same rate its running 7.3-7.5 kph.
I didn't believe it at first, thinking that I was peddling faster due to the reduced friction, so I slowed my rate down untill I reached 6.4 kph, which I found the rate far too slow. I cant be happier with the result & would highly recommend if you haven't serviced your Mirage drive.... Just do it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update: first time out since adjusting my drive to centre the main shaft (it had become slightly longer one side than the other). Outcome - on three long days of use not a single instance of the drive popping out of the clips ! So for me the suggested solution of realigning the shaft worked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie Tech

I have a 2010 AI and am having the same problems with the left click & go opening during use. I have read the posts on this thread. I saw some cures from users, but I'm not sure what is Hobie's reccomended final fix.

Is it:

1) Raising the left c&g by adding washers.

2) Making sure that the drum shaft is perfectly centered in the mirage drive. (Do I just hammer it through to center it?)

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

First... be sure you have the correct drum shaft. Older drives had rounded ends of the shaft. Newer ones are beveled. Some of the rounded end ones and the newer ones have splines to keep the shaft from rotating. A drum shaft that rotates while pedaling can work the click and go levers open.

Second... yes, you can simply tap the shaft with a hammer to center it.

Third... If you see that the lever is not fully locking, you can try alignment and height adjustments or even grind a small amount of the lever or saddle (maybe there are burrs or distortions?) to allow the shaft all the way in and the lever to fully lock. We have a shim available if the C and G has to be raised. That can be requested through warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This may be obvious, but I figure it is worth mentioning. Occasionally I bump the levers open with my heels. The first few times this happened I thought I had a problem with my drive (and not with the driver). Usually this does not occur when I am in the middle of pedaling but rather when I stop or slow down. If you have big feet like me and wear big boots you might want to make sure this is not what is happening.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys,

As you might have read in earlier posts, I had this problem with my C&G.
It was always the left side C&G that would unlock without warning.
Having 2 Revolution 13's I was able to visually compare the locks of both
kayaks. I had checked out all the suggested things that others had commented on, but it just didn't make sense that it was always the left & totally at random.
I finally discovered why.
The left hand side is going to natually unlock due to the dynamics of the pressure applied to the locking lever by the mirage drive shaft, not from rotating, but just the slight movement of the shaft in its correct position.
If your LH C&G is free to move it will re-seat on the opposite cycle.
I found that my C&G would travel freely lock to unlock by hand with no pressure on it, but when I put sideways pressure on the lock lever & then tried to lock & unlock, it was very rough & "gritty" (like the end of a spring digging into metal). if you applied pressure to the other side of the same lever while locking & unlocking it would be smooth.
I purchased another C&G unit, fitted & tested the same way, operation was smooth with pressure on either side of the lever.
Have done approx 160 miles now without unlocking.
Sorry to make thos post so long, but it was very frustrating to find the cause & it's a bit difficult to explain.

Montedane