Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is this ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got a new trailer with everything but a forward mast rest. The pieces are there that look like a bracket to hold the "U" cup where the mast would sit but there is no "U".

So my question is what does this part need to make it work or do I need to just make me new "U"

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p61 ... pport2.jpg

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p61 ... upoort.jpg

Post subject: Re: What is this ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

that's rather unusual. most every rubber/polyurethane V block has a solid base that slips BETWEEN 2 verticals and is through-bolted. that item looks to be the opposite. It appears to be made of metal? How is it attached to the upright?

It looks as if the missing part had a slot in it for mounting and swivels fore and aft around the bolt. what does the tag on it say?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The writing is gone on both sides :( Its like a solid rubber block that gets bolted to the upright on the trailer. I was thinking the same thing with the second peices that would have a "fork" that the bolt would slip through allowing the "U" to swivle fore and aft like you said.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I looks like part of what they used to sell as a "Mast Caddie" Don't know if they're still made anymore, but there would have been a sort of clamp-like part which mounted to the part you pictured and held the mast. They also made them to clamp to the rear cross bar .You might try e-bay- they sometimes come up for sale there. They were a pretty good product. I still use one which dates to the 1980's, although I don't trailer my boats as often or far as I used to!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

turbofan wrote:
I looks like part of what they used to sell as a "Mast Caddie" Don't know if they're still made anymore, but there would have been a sort of clamp-like part which mounted to the part you pictured and held the mast. They also made them to clamp to the rear cross bar .You might try e-bay- they sometimes come up for sale there. They were a pretty good product. I still use one which dates to the 1980's, although I don't trailer my boats as often or far as I used to!

Dave

That's what it is - I used to own one. They were made by a Hobie dealer not too far from me - Midwest Aquatics (now Midwest Sailing) in Pinckney, MI. http://www.ms-pyc.com/home.shtml

They might have some parts lying around, but it's been a while since they were in production.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys. Since that is out of production now what does everyone one recomend for a forward mast rest? I have access to a basic metal working shop and a welder.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a pair a metal plates, +- 4" long x ¾" wide x ¼" think, with a pair of holes at each end. through bolt the pair to the upright and through bolt a rubber V step on top. be sure the V block rests on the upright. you may have to cut the upright at an angle to get the V block to lay correctly, or insert a tapered block to do the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:01 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

pelican wrote:
Thanks guys. Since that is out of production now what does everyone one recomend for a forward mast rest? I have access to a basic metal working shop and a welder.

Piece of 1" flat bar, bent into a flat-bottomed "V" shape, attached to the stand and covered with clear vinyl tubing. You want the mast to rest on the sides of the "V", not touching the bottom.

Welds on trailers tend to break from vibration and flexing. Bolts/washers/nylock nuts are best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have no use for that part, I do. I recently found a brand new mast caddie on E bay and scored it. I did not really need it as I already had one from 1985 that is still perfect but it was a good deal. :D

I would like to add your base piece to my spare parts box.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bill 404 wrote:
If you have no use for that part, I do. I recently found a brand new mast caddie on E bay and scored it. I did not really need it as I already had one from 1985 that is still perfect but it was a good deal. :D

I would like to add your base piece to my spare parts box.

Actually I would like to add yours to my trailer as I need one to be able to trailer my boat. I really dont want to make anything if I dont have too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I recently found a brand new mast caddie

Just be careful to fully tighten and then lock the knob. Those things were notorious for shaking loose and dropping the mast during trailering.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
I recently found a brand new mast caddie

Just be careful to fully tighten and then lock the knob. Those things were notorious for shaking loose and dropping the mast during trailering.

Thanks for the advice. I shall make sure everything stays tight so it does not vibrate loose. Any idea if you could add a nylock nut to the end to eliminate the effects of vibration. I dont have one in hand to know if this is possible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Admin

As I recall, on later models they added a short tube material threaded on behind the knob to keep it from backing off.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)