Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, brand new today so, please be kind. I curently own a 40 ft sailboat and use it regularly, so I know how to sail, but have never sailed a small boat, like a Hobie. Everytime I take the big boat out and see others having fun on there little Hobie's I get a little jealous, so I am now looking for one for myself. After doing a little searching on Criegs list I see there are many boats for sale, but I really do not know what I am looking at. I see some need work, some say "ready to sail" and so on. I am looking for a boat that will hold at least 2 people, wife and I or friend. I would like to know your opinions about older boat's, what to look for, what to advoid and so forth. I love to go fast, and might concider racing in the future if things go well. Let me know your thoughts as I would like to make an informed purchuse.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Get a 16. Look for soft spots and delam. Sail it before you buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

16, 18 or Getaway might all be good choices.

Read this...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1156

then these...
http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

http://reviews.ebay.com/ebaymotors/buyi ... 0037930018

...and then be ready to spend another $1000 AFTER you buy an old hobie on repairs and replacement parts. If you by used 16 you will likely need:

Standing rigging $225
replace ropes/halyards
minor hull repairs
rebuild/replace cam cleats
new rudder cams
Misc parts here and there (they add up)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a ton of useful info already posted on the Hobie forums including which boats would be suitable for your needs (Hobie makes/made several models that would work for you in addition to the 16). There is also a lot of info about what to look for in a used boat. I'd suggest using the search function to do a little reasearch first rather than trying to rehash the same subject over again. Then fire back if you have some more specific questions.

You may also want to see if there is an active Hobie fleet in your area. If so, they would likely be able to provide you advise and help get you up to speed with your new boat.

Be warned that your monohull probably isn't going to get much use after you start sailing a Hobie.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advise, I guess I need to look at older forums, before asking the same questions over. Does anyone know of a Hobie group in the Naple/Ft. Meyers area? I would be interested in meeting with the group and participating. Thanks again for all your help.