Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:30 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Need help from someone who has previously installed the rudder upline kit or homemade version thereof.

I received the kit to replace the upline rudder bungie on my Big A.

I looked as best I could at the situation with a mirror. At my age bifoculs don't work so good with a mirror system.

Tried feel. This is where I get confused.So I checked all the previous posts on KFS re:

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 4091050702

Some help, but I need a bit more.

If your up to it open the following in a new window and see if you can help with my question.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Ad ... cement.pdf

I understand everything except paragraph 3 and the two photos with it. In the text:

3) There are two bungees
attached to the up/down control
arm, looped around eyelet posts (note plural)
on either side of the end of the control arm.
The up-line bungee is
the one attached to a line running from the bungee to the stern of the
boat.
Detach the up-line bungee from the eyelet post.

I don't see TWO eyelet posts. Looking at the right hand photo it looks to me that there is only one (1) eyelet post with two different bungies looped over it. The index finger appears to be pushing the top bungie off the eyelet while the thumb holds the down cable out of the way.

The next photo on the right shows the one bungie cord removed. The up line.

As best I can feel there is only one eyelet post also.

Am I correct? There is only one eyelet post? If I push up on the top bungie cord I am removing the up line, the bungie I want to replace?

This is a difficult manuver working blind. Just want to be sure of this critical step and I don't get the up confused with the down.

IF for example there are TWO eyelet posts how do you determine the upline? With the downline also going to the rudder, the sentence The up-line bungee is the one attached to a line running from the bungee to the stern of the
boat.
didn't help me much.

The rest of the procedure seems straight forward enough.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:04 pm 
Hobie Team Member

May the Hobie engineer that designed this and located it be blessed with short arms and sentenced to do ten of these changes a day!

Finally found the mirror location to get a look, confirmed with feel. Went fairly fast except for frustrataion factor of dropping eyelet , etc.

There is ONE eyelet post through the control arm (proturudes on either side) so the up and down bungie are mounted on opposite ides. The photo is correct.

The Adventure is a strange craft. I'm out fishing, the wind builds to 15 knots, my buddy gets off the water with his Prowler (no rudder makes it difficult for him in wind) due to chop swell, etc and I get to stay out. Thinking what a great hull design. some engineer came up with. May he be blessed to do even better next go around on the super Pelagic.

But replace the short armed guy please.
[/i]