Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback drain plug.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love my outback. It's a perfect fishing platform for the way I like to fish. But: I am constantly frustrated by the positioning of the hull drain plug. I like to flush the inside of the hull with fresh water but it is pretty much impossiblr to completely drain water from within the hull; I've tried tipping it in evey position possible but in the end, I still have to mop it out with a sponge. If the drain plug was relocated to the base of the keel on the transom, it would drain easily. Has anyone else had this problem?

Post subject: Re: Outback drain plug.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no option but to soak the water up with a sponge or towel. I have a 2004 and a 2005 Outback with the old style "flip up" rudder. The drain plug sits on the back, next to the rudder and is virtually useless since you would have to tip the yak up on it's end to use the drain plug, damaging the rudder! I store mine on a rack inside the garage and always leave the hatches open so whatever is left evaporates.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yup pretty much impossible to drain all the water out of the drain hole, not sure why you need to flush out the inside of the yak? You wouldn't want the drain hole on the base of the keel or anywhere else below the water line for that matter as failure to do the bung up properly could have disasterous consequences.

I agree with ganiom about leaving the hatches open, dries out residual moisture nicely, also mitigates against expansion and contraction of air inside the yak due to temperature changes when it is stored.

However I am sure the Hobie engineers could come up with a better place to put the bung.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The reason I like to flush the hull out is because I often have fish in the front hatch or bait in the cockpit hatch. As for the drain hole in the keel, most small boats have a drain plug on the transom below the waterline... though with an open bilge I guess the problem would be visible if the bung was left open. I'm sure Hobie could work out a solution.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

charlief wrote:
Yup pretty much impossible to drain all the water out of the drain hole, not sure why you need to flush out the inside of the yak? You wouldn't want the drain hole on the base of the keel or anywhere else below the water line for that matter as failure to do the bung up properly could have disasterous consequences.

I agree with ganiom about leaving the hatches open, dries out residual moisture nicely, also mitigates against expansion and contraction of air inside the yak due to temperature changes when it is stored.

However I am sure the Hobie engineers could come up with a better place to put the bung.

on occasion i like to flush out the inside of my hull because i fish saltwater. my battery is also located in the hull. so i try to get as much salt out as possible, even if it has no adverse effects on my electronics (doubt it), call it OCD then.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like to flush mine from time to time also. I like you have just figured there is no complete way to dry it without a sponge so that's what I end up using. PS. I did not flush one day and had dropped a piece of cut bait into to it....... BOY was that was sweet the next week.... :lol: