Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For some reason my Halyard lock no longer wants to engage. I am thinking about putting a sharper point in the hook on the mast or making it more rounded. Trying to figure out what would be better. I belive the H18 has the same system.
Currently it seems to get "high centered" on the top of the hook and then pops off in the wrong direction. Very frustrating :evil: I may have even said a bad word or 2.
Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 18 can be a pain too.... from what I have read and was recommended to me by my dealer is to just rotate the hallyard a couple of times so the line has some twist in it before you hook it to the sail (cant remember the direction). That makes the ring want to turn into the hook when you raise the sail and helping it to catch the latch. If you have the little flapper up top on your hook everyone says to cut it off as it is just a hassle and does not help the sail stay in the hook your downhaul does that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sharpening / rounding the hook will not make any difference. It's all about the proper setup and technique.

The first thing is to make sure the halyard is attached to the ring correctly and that the shackle is attached to the headboard correctly. The knot should be as small as possible. The shackle, when attached to the headboard, should twist to the left (when looking aft). The point is that the ring should be able to be hoisted as high as possible and twist towards the hook.

Raising the sail, point the boat into the wind (very important). I raise the sail standing at the front crossbar, facing aft (you need the three-piece tramp to do this - with the center lacing). Lead the halyard down and forward under the front crossbar. You can hoist the sail and control it into the track at the same time. When the sail tops out, hold tension on the halyard with your left hand, grab the mast rotator with your right hand and pull forward (rotating the hook into the ring). Release the halyard and pull down on the sail (without letting the rotator go). You'll feel the sail drop into the hook. Wiggle the rotator to make sure it's seated.

To release, again point into the wind, pull on the halyard and rotate the mast to the left (looking aft) - rotating the hook away from the ring. Pull down on the sail, then release the rotator.

If you don't have the 3-piece tramp, have a helper hoist from standing aft of the boat and you control the mast rotation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tb85105 wrote:
Currently it seems to get "high centered" on the top of the hook and then pops off in the wrong direction. Very frustrating :evil: I may have even said a bad word or 2.
Any suggestions?

Make sure that when you connect the halyard ring to the mainsail head board, that the knot on the end of the halyard is facing the mast. This allows the ring to be closer to the hook. To do this, you need to be using the halyard ring with the little hoop welded on top.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the tips, I will give them a try. It used to hook so easily, I don't know how I lost the touch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

I have a complete FAQ on this issue here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=371

Quote:
Locking the Hobie 17/18/20/21 Halyard:

It is best to simulate the halyard locking with the mast down so you clearly understand the system.

Then, depending on how old the boat is, be sure the hook does not have the old "flopper" stainless piece hanging on the hook. This old device caused difficulty in raising and hooking but would make it easier to release and lower.

Also, be sure that the knot tied to the ring is very low profile. A long bowline knot will hit the mast head before the ring gets to the hook.

If the ring has a small loop at the top... The line should be passed through the loop and a small knot tied. The knot (when ring and shackle are affixed to the sail) should be facing the mast. This tilts the ring closer to the mast.

Then (before attaching halyard shackle to the sail) spin the halyard 3 or 4 times clockwise (looking down on the shackle). This "pre-loads" the halyard line and causes the ring to swing back towards the hook. Keep the boat into the wind and hoist. Should lock easily.

To release... fully release the downhaul and outhaul. Partially feed the sail up the luff track. Hoist with the halyard to the top till it stops, hold... rotate the aft of the mast base to starboard, hold the mast rotated, ease the halyard a few feet before releasing the mast. Lower the sail.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)