Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I contacted my local hobie dealer and asked what was the best deal they could offer on a TI and some accessories. They said "Due to Hobies strict dealer agreements we're not allowed to discount Hobie products"

Meanwhile a dealer in another state offered a fair discount but left me to fend for myself regarding shipping. I got a few quotes and shipping was north of $650. Yet on most every hobie reseller site they quote shipping at $299 for the TI. Anyone know which carrier they must be using?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That Hobie dealer is talking BS I reckon. They should have said "As we are after every single dollar we can get, you have to pay full price". Bad luck for them, a no-sale at full price ain't going to boost their bottom line...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe it's the case, maybe not.

So insist they throw in tramps, or carts or vests, etc till you get the discount you think you deserve. See how that goes.

They can still sell the boat for MSRP, save you some $ and not break any contracts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AustralAsian Hobie Dealers are the same. I checked different states and even Hong Kong but came back to my local dealer who threw in some extras but I paid the RRP of $5,800 AUD. Glad I supported the local dealer when I punctured the scupper holes and used the dealer's Hobie welder and rods to fix it up, freee of charge. Bet they couldn't do that if they were discounting.
If you price the fittings, sail, mast etc and give them a few dollars for a brilliant innovative design that works so well, you would be at the RRP price. My previous boat cost $28,000 and didn't give me any more fun that the TI.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I asked various dealers if Hobie Drop ships. I was curious who Hobie used for shipping. The vendors said "Hobie does not drop ship".

I was just talking to another dealer and they said, "we are out of stock, but we can drop ship directly from Hobie".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I understand it, dropshipping is a no no. Dealers are supposed to set up the boat correctly, educate you and add value to the purchase. then handle all warranty issues.

They can sell at any price they want, but perhaps can not advertise below a certain price (msrp or map).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChangeMan wrote:
AustralAsian Hobie Dealers are the same. I checked different states and even Hong Kong but came back to my local dealer who threw in some extras but I paid the RRP of $5,800 AUD. Glad I supported the local dealer when I punctured the scupper holes and used the dealer's Hobie welder and rods to fix it up, freee of charge. Bet they couldn't do that if they were discounting.
If you price the fittings, sail, mast etc and give them a few dollars for a brilliant innovative design that works so well, you would be at the RRP price. My previous boat cost $28,000 and didn't give me any more fun that the TI.

It is ILLEGAL in Australia for the retail price to be fixed. The crime is called "retail price maintenance" and wholesalers/distributors can face very hefty fines.

The price is referred to as the RRP, or recommended retail price. My dealer has quoted me hundreds off the RRP of a brand new 2012 TI (as well as a bit more off one which has been used a few times for demos)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Frankly, the deceit I have experienced with these various dealers has turned me off and I'm now just looking for a used one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I worked at a dealership that carried the Hobie line for a while. My recollection of the dealer agreement was that we were not allowed to advertise any price other than MSRP. I do not recall anything about not being allowed to sell at some other price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had one dealer suggest I also purchase the "sail kit" with the TI. Apparently he did not know that the Tandem Island was not a kayak.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You may want to avoid that dealer! lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I remember the original days.
Yes price has gone up
Hobie price fixes and if a dealer breaks that rule..they are out.
This is a good and bad thing. At least NO ONE can take advantage of you just because you are buying a branded name.
IF you find a dealer that is way over or under on prices...contact Hobie.
The "geniuses" over there will pull them.

I'm down to one in my area that I would not buy water from in the Sahara. I shop on-line now

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found a used one.

I got the TI, the Trailer, the trampolines, some accessories, for $1K less than the boat itself