Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truck-racking a TI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Let's agree: all around the best way to haul a TI is on a trailer. The TI is a beast off the ground or out of the water, so close to the ground on wheels is always the best option. Most vehicles properly equipped to tow can pull a TI on a trailer. But there is an option.

I was so taken with the TI I bought one before I figured out how to transport it. I wanted to car-top. I didn't want to pull a light trailer and don't have room to store one, so here's what I learned:

I started with a Volvo 850 wagon with factory racks (Thule). Stack the amas on top of the boat and it was a neat package. However, it was too much vertical weight for the car. Could be done, but I wouldn't tour with it. (p.s., I have no trouble with my AI on the same rig, the TI is just too heavy).

I upgraded to a truck and for a year now I've been travelling with my TI riding on top of a Tundra with Rack-It lumber racks. The rack evenly distrbutes the weight on the chassis, and you'd hardly know you have the boat on there. I carry the boat, amas and sail on the rack. I've even carried the TI and another boat. No sweat. Room for people, gear, boats, add 4wd and you got a go anywhere boat-hauler that you can park.

In the interest of full disclosure, the effort you save by not pulling the TI will get made up (and more) when you arrive and have to get the boat on and off the truck. Truck-racking a TI can hurt you if you're not careful, but with due respect and some tools and tricks it's safe and easy for an average person. Typically it takes me about 25 minutes to unload, rig and get on the water, and about 15 minutes longer to load because I wash the saltwater off the boat and dry it before I rack it over the truck.
I figure I make up the trailer difference by driving faster ;)

jb24601

Post subject: Re: Truck-racking a TI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup JB. They are made for each other. Plus, you could still haul a pop-up and go cross country.

That cab's not obnoxiously tall, but unless you're a basketball player, I bet you wish you had running boards too?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Something you did not mention if hauling some distance -

Traveling like this, over 600 miles, I averaged just above 12 mpg

Traveling like this, towing over 6,000 lbs, over 1300 miles, I averaged 14.7 mpg

Aerodynamics has a a HUGE impact on MPG and those 2 Hobie's on my roof killed it all. I've done the same exact trip without roofrack and kayak and averaged almost 21mpg. So, with a light trailer and the hobie on it I would expect no less than 18 or so mpg.

Problem is - for the long haul its easier to cartop and not constantly worry about a trailer behind you (and all the idiots who cut you off because they see a trailer and assume you're "slow") ... or pay the tolls for additional axles.

I picked up a used JetSki trailer that I'm in the process of converting - I got it mostly for the short local trips because cartopping my AI - 1) has put quite a few nice scratches and nicks in the paint and 2) I HATE giving my truck a salt water bath as there is no rinse hose where I usually launch.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm continually amazed, as I have repeatedly stated, that people cartop something like a TI. Personal health issues resulting from lifting a heavy load above your shoulders, dings and scratches to your vehicle, and gas milage are problems, but I think saltwater dripping on your car/truck/suv is probably the most serious problem. I have sent a Ford Bronco and a Toyota 4-Runner to the "Death Valley reserved for rusted out vehicles" by transporting sea kayaks on them. It is virtually impossible to prevent saltwater from getting on your vehicle if you cartop a boat that has been in saltwater. I've always suspected a single drop of saltwater may be sufficient to start the process. Like cancer, it is usually fatal.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
, but I think saltwater dripping on your car/truck/suv is probably the most serious problem. I have sent a Ford Bronco and a Toyota 4-Runner to the "Death Valley reserved for rusted out vehicles" by transporting sea kayaks on them. It is virtually impossible to prevent saltwater from getting on your vehicle if you cartop a boat that has been in saltwater. I've always suspected a single drop of saltwater may be sufficient to start the process. Like cancer, it is usually fatal.

Keith

Keith - I've been eyeing one of these

Saw it at PepBoys - its 14 gallons and meant for gas but Water should work just as well. Its a bit steep at $100 but better than the salt baths destroying my ride.

... thats if my conversion/restoration of a recently aquired (read - Free) JetSki trailer doesn't work out

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, Alan, something like that would help. I think Home Depot has cheaper, for water, systems. My friend had one that plugged into the 12-volt cigarette lighter to pressurize. Years ago, I was going to get one, but built a 4-bay kayak trailer instead. I was lucky to have a friend who did all the welding. It is a kayak trailer, but handles 2 AIs fine and a 3rd one is only a little more trouble. If you have 2-3 AIs, you usually have 2-3 people helping to load them.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Diluting the salt should help.

But I would think, and am hoping, that mounting the hulls upright on cradles or saddles will nearly eliminate the salt issues.

(I bring a hand-broom and wipe down the hulls before loading. It does a great job).

The paint problems I had, with my previous vehicle, resulted from:

1. Flipping the used/wet boat on the roof and carrying it on the gunwales.
2. Washing the boat while on the roof. Much sand settles, gets trapped and does not wash off the roof, even with high pressure.
3. Leaving the yak on the roofrack, or stored on a hoist, over the car. It weeps and drips salt water for some time.
4. Having the trunk exposed to the harsh UV. The dripping salt really accelerated oxidation. The rest of the car looked terrific.

A truck with Hobie cradles and a good bed liner seems like the best topping solution for an AI/TI.

As JD noted, trailers are the bomb, but they get cancer too. Really bad and really fast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
The paint problems I had, with my previous vehicle, resulted from:

1. Flipping the used/wet boat on the roof and carrying it on the gunwales.
2. Washing the boat while on the roof. Much sand settles, gets trapped and does not wash off the roof, even with high pressure.
3. Leaving the yak on the roofrack, or stored on a hoist, over the car. It weeps and drips salt water for some time.
4. Having the trunk exposed to the harsh UV. The dripping salt really accelerated oxidation. The rest of the car looked terrific.

As JD noted, trailers are the bomb, but they get cancer too. Really bad and really fast.

Galvanized trailers last pretty well. My trailer, which I rebuilt, had totally rusted regular steel parts. The galvanized parts were still good. I've replaced the springs twice & axel once, but the galvanized parts, which are 25 yrs old, are still going strong.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Aloha All,

Been transporting my TI on my truck rack for about two years and liking it. But it takes quite a bit of strength and effort to lift the front of a TI to get it onto my truck racks. The rest of the loading steps are easy.

I do have a loading dock at home which makes it easy loading for me at the start of the trip.

But the worst part is when you have lift something heavy after a hard days of sailing and it's not a fish. :(

As recommended in the previous post, best to rack a TI upright so that you minimize the amount of saltwater on your truck. The rails on a lumber rack have been working for me to add additional support since I don't use cradles.

And been easily able to accomodate two TI's on my rack.

I had to prep and paint my truck racks once over to help prevent rust. Also, I ended up spraying rubberized bed liner on my top bars to give it a tougher surface.

Truck racking your TI is not for everyone. But finding it a good option if you got some strength left and unable to accomodate a trailer.

shaka,

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Trailers take a lot of space in the road! There's always a better solution to keep driving easier by mounting everything on your roof. If you own a pickup truck you need to have some fabrication to make it all work out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So here is my solution for when I can not take the TI on the trailer.

I go off road camping with a camper trailer and don't want to load and unload the TI from the top of the camper each night whilst travelling to a spot when I set up camp. So I put it up on the roof with a Rhino Rack side boat loader.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCateg ... er_52.aspx
Video
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/ShowVideoLi ... linkid=319

I also see that Rhino have just come up with another neat trailer hitch loader.
This looks a lot like the Extend A Track that is shown in this thread but has the advantage of tilting back to help slide the boat up onto the rack so you don't have to lift as much.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40698
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCateg ... er_78.aspx
video
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/ShowVideoLi ... linkid=562

Last edited by Geordie on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Then a trailer for when I do trips closer to home and it is so much faster to set-up and launch it makes for quick trips out in a morning or after work.

and my TI dolly cart on the trailer for the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a picture of my TI on my truck rack about 3/4 down the page.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=19784&hilit=rack&start=15

These pictures are pretty old, and I load it a little differently now, but the idea is the same. For one, contrary to the pictures, I always transport it on flipped upside down on the rails.

I can load it with moderate effort myself. My basic steps to get the hull up are:
1. Place the rear of the kayak on the tailgate.
2. Step onto the tailgate, lift the kayak onto the rear rack, and slide it a couple of feet forward.
3. Walk to the other end of the kayak, making sure it doesn't slide back, lift it, and push it the rest of way up onto the rack.
4. Stand in the bed of the truck, and flip it over.

My truck is a sports truck, and sits lower than most pickups, so this really helps the process as well.