Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Check out this compass
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think that I saw this really neat compass on the Hobie Community forum. I use a Garmin GPSMAPS 76 but I have been looking at backups and this one seems really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's another idea on rigging a compass. I was interested in mounting a small compass that could be easily removed for storage, as well as being capable of being transferred between my two yaks-a Hobie Outback and my wife's Hobie Sport. I had just finished mounting two new RAM ball mounts forward on my OB, and thus had two spare, forward built-in rodholders that I probably was not going to use all that much. So why not use one of these to mount my small Optronics marine Compass from W-M, but how? I decided to use a combination of a 1 1/4 inch wooden dowel inserted in a piece of 1 1/4 inch Schedule 40 PVC.

At upper left we have the Optronics CP-101 Marine Compass from W-M (about $10). Upper center is a countersink that I used on the PVC to insert the #8 x 3/4 inch SS oval head sheet metal screws into the PVC and wooden dowel.

At top right is the 5 inch length of PVC with the wooden dowel secured inside. Note the piece of 6 inch steel leader attached to the lower SS screw. This is for one reason only--to be able to easily pull the PVC/dowel compass mount out of the rodholder. Middle center is the 6-32 1 1/2 inch SS pan head slotted screw that I used to replace the non-SS hinge screw in the compass. Unfortunately, Lowe's had only this length so I had to use a pair of small bolt cutters to snip off the screw end after attaching the Nylock nut. Third down (center) are the two #6 x 3/4 oval head SS screws that will be used to attach the compass to the upper part of the PVC/dowel mount.

This shows the compass folded back to reveal the two #6 x 3/4 SS sheet metal screws used to attach the compass to the wooden dowel inside the PVC pipe.

Here is the rig, ready to be inserted into the built-in Hobie forward port-side (or starboard) rodholder.

Finally, here is the completed installation just behind the RAM rocket launcher rodholder on the port side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I always like your rigging. And your pictures too. Hey I wonder how you would go about mounting a ff. 8)
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Brazos,
I have mounted that Plastimo Iris 100 compass in the footwell of our Tandem Oasis. It is a large compass that can be clearly seen and is easily removed. I have bumped it with my foot a few times though and I am thinking of swapping it with the Ritchie compass which is probably more suited to the Tandem.
I will fit the Plastimo to my new AI where there are more mounting options for such a large compass.
For more info check out this discussion:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8363

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had this compass. Bought at Wal-Mart for $2.00 on clearance. When I saw Apalachs post I was saying right on. But I am still a little foggy about the swivel? Wish I would of bought all 13 of them. At the time I was wondering what I was going to do with one. 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Eagle Cuda 250 - Combo GPS and Fishfinder mounted on an Outback $199.95 Cabelas

Always know where you are and where the fish are using this affordable, compact sonar and mapping GPS unit. It has a high-detail, 240V x 160H pixel, 4" diagonal, SuperTwist LCD display and boasts 800 watts peak-to-peak power to depths of 600 ft. and a 200kHz Skimmer® transducer with built-in temp sensor. Internal 12-parallel channel GPS+WAAS antenna.

I have not used it yet, just finished mounting it.

Last edited by mrgumdrop on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Easiest way is to re-size your picture on your computer first, then upload it to the website.

To see what size will look good on the screen, right click your mouse on one of the photos above, then click "properties". For example, Apalach's photo of the compass and tools is 576 x 432 pixels. If you resize your photo to those dimensions before uploading, they will appear at that size on the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

conservation101 thanks for the help on sizing pictures. I changed my earlier post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Apalach
I was wondering about the leader and the swivel. Does it not have any bearing on true magnetic North? I am going to make my back up compass like yours but that leader has me bamboozeled. :?
Brazos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry I know this is an ancient post but its the only mention of this compass on this board. I am wondering if this compass is any good. Anyone tested it against GPS or another compass?

Apalach wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been using the same Eagle Cuda 250 i as Mr Gumdrop for several years now. It is a great bit of kit for kayaking in tidal waters.

The (rudimentary) charts give the GPS screens some perspective and once you have got the hang of it and loaded up some waypoints it tells you what is the most direct route to your waypoint allowing you to compensate for the effects of wind and tide; this feature alone must have saved me countless hours of pedalling in the not quite right direction.

Sure a compass may be a useful backup but I think a GPS is far more useful.

PS. I should mention that after several years of faithful service the "enter" button on my Eagle Cuda recently packed up. I can still use the device as both GPS and FF but its functionality, particularly as a GPS, is significantly reduced. This has been caused by salt water ingress - so be warned: they are not as watertight as the marketing material suggests... and I guess this highlights one of the other advantages of a bog standard compass i.e. no electricity and no "enter" button to fail !