Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the proper boom length for an H17's full length boom? I have a new sail that seems a bit large for it. I think my boom is correct and the sail is not by a couple of inches. Anyone know of an easy fix?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Total overall length of a H17 boom is about 97.5" from end cap to end cap.

If the foot of your sail is too long, there is no easy fix. Maybe try to find a longer boom, but the geometry and balance of the sail is likely to be somewhat off. The best bet is usually to buy a sail from Hobie or to be certain your sailmaker knows what he's supposed to be building. If the foot dimension is off, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the luff length or luff curve were also off.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I get home I'll measure the foot and luff of a current model H17 sail and send you the measurements. If your new sail exceeds either dimension my advice is to send the sail back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well my boom does measure correctly so does anyone know of a suitable replacement boom that would fit an H17 that is at least 99" - 100" and could be cut down to size? It does not look like the H16 or H18 would work because the goosenecks are different.

I understand the sail being out of balance etc, I am in a predominantly light wind area, so this is not a great concern. The sail came from a very respectable sailmaker. I did not want to send it back because it is cut beautifully and is really fast, I figured the resewn product would not come out as nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ummm, how can you tell that the sail is fast if you aren't even able to rig it and sail it? Just because a sail "looks" fast and high-tech, does not actually mean that it is fast.

Honestly, if I were you, the first thing I would do would be to call the sailmaker and tell them that they sold you a sail that won't work with your boat. Was the sail advertised as a Hobie 17 sail, or did they request measurements from you to make a custom sail? Just because this is a respected sailmaker does not necessarily mean that they've built catamaran sails before, or Hobie 17 sails specifically (clearly they haven't).

Call them up and see if you can get a replacement sail, have this sail re-cut, or get a refund. If they are a respected sailmaker, they should make things right in one of those ways. Having to buy a longer boom is bogus.

By the way, the gooseneck system on the 17 is the same as the 16 and 18, but buying a different boom would be my last resort only if the sailmaker doesn't make things right.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes this is probably "the" most respected sailmaker of after market fat head sails. I did bring it to the sailmaker's attention and he ignored, leading me to believe a longer boom is a better alternative. Like the girl at the picnic said, a couple of extra inches is ok.

I have sailed with the rig as is and kicked some major butt. The sail just had elephant ass wrinkles that I could not get out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ice cream bayou wrote:
yes this is probably "the" most respected sailmaker of after market fat head sails. I did bring it to the sailmaker's attention and he ignored,

Sounds to me like you're giving this person/company way more credit than they deserve. You spent many hundreds of dollars or more on a sail that's perceived to be better than stock, and then when it doesn't work right, the sailmaker blows you off. That's totally bogus in my book.

But, since It sounds like you're just gonna stick it out, one possible solution would be to go to a boomless rig. Have a sailmaker (not that I would give your current sailmaker another dime) install a short length of bolt rope in the clew area and install the H17 "boomlet" which is used on the H17 Sport.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ice cream bayou wrote:
The sail just had elephant ass wrinkles that I could not get out.

That would drive me crazy!
srm wrote:
Have a sailmaker (not that I would give your current sailmaker another dime) install a short length of bolt rope in the clew area and install the H17 "boomlet" which is used on the H17 Sport.

This still won't get the "elephant ass wrinkles out"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ice cream bayou wrote:
The sail came from a very respectable sailmaker.

So who is this "respectable" sail-maker. I think, we all dying to know... :roll: