Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lowrance DSI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can't you use the menus to adjust the brightness?

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On page 2 of the operation manual it says that you can "press the LIGHT/POWER key to switch backlight levels".

"This unit has 10 backlight levels"

Hope that helps.

My 4X is still in the box...Need warmer weather to get it in the Outback...

and need to figure out how I want to mount Xducer and battery (and which battery to use, single 12v or lots of AA's)

Bill in Spokane...

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank You so Much! I searched the "menu's" extensivly while on the water....couldn't figure it out....Yes a short tap on the power button produces the brightness menu options....all I can say is Thanks and----- Duuuh....call me Patrick the starfish, Sponge Bob's sidekick.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpinfisherBob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How did you get the transducer through the seat scupper hole? Did you drill it out?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Feed the cable through from the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The cable doesn't fit through the bottom either, because of the plastic nut that holds the connector to the unit. If I force the nut off the connector over the top, I'm afraid it will break and not hold the connector in. I really like this install and plan to use it if possible as I too use the scupper cart. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahh yes I forgot about the nut on the transducer cable. I did cut mine off. It still holds in the back of the finder fine but I don't blame you for not wanting to go that route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can use it through the seat scupper but you would need to remove the little cap that threads on the wire - once that is gone it will fit (Lowrance has already confirmed that the small part can be removed without issue)
You would probably need to come up with a new lower profile washer or cap of some sort - that standard Lowrance cap would seem to be in the way in the seat area - but I haven't tried one to see if it hit me or not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
You can use it through the seat scupper but you would need to remove the little cap that threads on the wire - once that is gone it will fit (Lowrance has already confirmed that the small part can be removed without issue)
You would probably need to come up with a new lower profile washer or cap of some sort - that standard Lowrance cap would seem to be in the way in the seat area - but I haven't tried one to see if it hit me or not.

By "the little cap that threads on the wire" I assume you mean the scupper cap. I did remove that, but the transducer will not fit through that hole unless you either:
1. Ream out the hole and thereby lose the threads. or
2. Take off the nut that holds the connector to the actual unit on the other end from the transducer, which would enable that end to get through the seat scupper hole as is, but you would lose the nut that holds the connector to the screen, which is the route LazyLefty went, apparently with no real problem. I'm more tempted to try this way than reaming out the threads...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cut or split the cap, feed the plug through and then use a soldering gun to "weld" the cap back together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yoopermjm wrote:
Jbernier wrote:

By "the little cap that threads on the wire" I assume you mean the scupper cap. I did remove that, but the transducer will not fit through that hole unless you either:
1. Ream out the hole and thereby lose the threads. or
2. Take off the nut that holds the connector to the actual unit on the other end from the transducer, which would enable that end to get through the seat scupper hole as is, but you would lose the nut that holds the connector to the screen, which is the route LazyLefty went, apparently with no real problem. I'm more tempted to try this way than reaming out the threads...

I'm referring to the little cap which the wire feeds through - if you take that off it will pass through the seat scupper - and it still plugs into the unit fine - not the large cap - that is yet another ting that you might want to forgo in place use some sort of washer to hold it on the scupper on the top as that large provided cap will hit you in the bum.
Do not cut away plastic on the hull - this area is vulnerable and could leak easily as the two halves of the mold joint where the drain threads are located.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks all for the great info. I think I'm going to try the suction cup method as I don't want to cut the nut off and I have now learned that it is not expedient to widen the seat scupper hole and I want to keep the back scupper holes open for my cart. Soooo.... I think for me right now the suction cup mount is the way to go until something else strikes me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well after all the looking and talking about a combo GPS Chart-plotter and Sounder, I finally jumped in yesterday and bought a new Lowrance Elite 5 DSI combo with the Navionics Gold 9X charts for all of Australia.

I had been looking at the non DSI and at the Elite 4 but all the shops in WA (West Ausieland) wanted a hell of a lot extra ($359) to include the Navionics charts or they could not get the charts or Elite 4 for at least two weeks.

I could not wait as I am off on a trip next week. I got it at a great price from BCF (Boating, Camping and Fishing supplies) as it was the display model and they had quoted me the wrong price for the non DSI Elite 5 that was on special so they gave it to me for th same price ($849 with the Navi Gold).

I like that it has a much larger screen than the Elite 4 but realise that the extra size also brings a few issues of mounting.

So I am mounting the thing today (when the rain stops) wondering if anyone has any advice or knowledge if DSI transducer will work properly through the hull?

I have mounted several other transducers in the hull and have experience with both wet mount (in water) and glued with goop, but the difference with the DSI is a higher frequency range (which may not penetrate the hull as well) and particularly the wide angle on the transducer. It is semi circular in crossection and aparrently needs to see more angle to the water to work well.

I have no time to go for a test run before the trip next weekend but might also make up a simple mount to hang it over the side.

Any experience or comments welcomed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My GPS/FF has packed up and I am thinking of replacing with an Elite 4 DSI. Can anyone tell me (since I can't find the answer anywhere else I have tried) what GPS functionality you get from these units without the additional charts ? i.e. if I get just the Elite-4 now will it work OK without buying plug in charts which I would plan to get later when funds are available ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought the Elite-4 with the gold chip, waiting for the new kayak now grrrr. Question, can the Lowrance Elite-4 Fishfinder/GPS be mounted on a TI with the new for 2012 Lowrance transducer kayak scupper mount (Lowrance pn 000-10606-001)? And will the transducer clear the TI cradles when the kayak is slid onto the trailer? If so what scupper should be used? I hope I don't have to Mickey Mouse the job. Although, I talked to Lowrance about the extra electrical connection that should be capped and they suggested I cover it with silicone, no caps in the new box. Will do grrrr

Last edited by west coast papaya on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.