Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie folding bimini
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone have one on their PA? Is it sturdy enough to mount a camera or maybe even a fish finder to (so it's almost over head)? Does it move easily so I can stand up when necessary?

Post subject: Re: Hobie folding bimini
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been curious also.

/thread bump/

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Over 200 views which makes me think there are plenty who would like to find out more about the Hobie sun shade. If you have heard anything about this product even if it doesn't answer my questions please post your opinion to help others. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take a look at this site. These come with different mounting bases.

http://www.pro-techt.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Saltfisherman gets a big thumbs up. I really appreciate the link/s. Has anyone here had personal experience with these type of sun shades? Looks like the same exact unit as shown in the Hobie catalog, I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am all for sun protection on the water, but would be concerned about wind with one of these systems. In anything but absolute calm, i can see this acting like a sail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree Jim_Mi and that's why I am still hoping to hear from an actual user. It does seem to be easily stowed and deployed so I may have to find out for myself. I will resist unless I can find the Mantis available from a site that would allow a discount. I see this in my future, and I am one of those folks who find discounts make me feel I am getting a deal, and thus make the purchase more likely to happen, even if it's just free shipping; I don't have to have all my equipment wear the Hobie name. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ecduzitgood wrote:
I agree Jim_Mi and that's why I am still hoping to hear from an actual user. It does seem to be easily stowed and deployed so I may have to find out for myself. I will resist unless I can find the Mantis available from a site that would allow a discount. I see this in my future, and I am one of those folks who find discounts make me feel I am getting a deal, and thus make the purchase more likely to happen, even if it's just free shipping; I don't have to have all my equipment wear the Hobie name. :wink:

EC, if you can wait for a couple weeks before you purchase I have a pro-techt top that I purchased a few years ago for my boat that I'm waiting for the new mounting base for.

I used it for a couple days on a CC and it didn't work well for it, be it was no good being the mounting area I had and the rolling of the boat, the mount slipped.I plan on using it for the kayak and will take some pictures to text you if you'd like. There's a delay on the mounting base and was told two weeks delivery time frame. I'll be mounting it to the lower back of the seat, at least that's the first thought. I'm also looking to put a upper support along the top of the seat back using pad eyes and elastic cord, if that doesnt control the upper swing I'll mount a PVC conduit two hole strap. Your welcome to email me or pm me figure around Easter weekend.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seems like a lot of money for something you won't be using on windy days. I made one from a golf umbrella for my Adventure. The photo below shows the unpainted prototype. The final version sits a bit lower.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

saltfisherman wrote:
ecduzitgood wrote:

EC, if you can wait for a couple weeks before you purchase I have a pro-techt top that I purchased a few years ago for my boat that I'm waiting for the new mounting base for.

I used it for a couple days on a CC and it didn't work well for it, be it was no good being the mounting area I had and the rolling of the boat, the mount slipped.I plan on using it for the kayak and will take some pictures to text you if you'd like. There's a delay on the mounting base and was told two weeks delivery time frame. I'll be mounting it to the lower back of the seat, at least that's the first thought. I'm also looking to put a upper support along the top of the seat back using pad eyes and elastic cord, if that doesnt control the upper swing I'll mount a PVC conduit two hole strap. Your welcome to email me or pm me figure around Easter weekend.
Tom

I can wait. I have signed up for their news letter and hope it has a discount code, there may or may not be one, but there is a box for a discount code at checkout and I am in no hurry.
I also considered the umbrella type shade but feel the flexibility of the mantis would trump anything I could put together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great topic here. I'm going to have to come up with something soon for my 3year old.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ecduzitgood wrote:
saltfisherman wrote:
ecduzitgood wrote:

Tom

I can wait. I have signed up for their news letter and hope it has a discount code, there may or may not be one, but there is a box for a discount code at checkout and I am in no hurry.
I also considered the umbrella type shade but feel the flexibility of the mantis would trump anything I could put together.

Ecd, haven't forgotten about you. I did recieve the mount this past week. Give me a few more days and I'll contact you so I can get pictures to you of it completed. Still doing a once over as to the actual mounting of the base. I plan on mounting it to the seat back, but an item comes up as a problem. I want to temporary also figure a fasten point to make the seat back stay open, I'm worried in a breeze the seat would fold forward if I stood up, but also still be able to fold for transport.I'm not familiar with how to post pictures on the site here. Once I do get them to you if you know how to post them your have my permission to do so.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can make your own Bimini very easily, i did and used all aluminum. It starts right behind the seat and gradually tapers down to the front of the yak. I use it on my Outback and even in strong winds it's no problem at all.

This is not a round umbrella type, this is an elongated bimini around 4 feet wide which tapers down to around 3+ feet at the tip and it's about 7 feet long. It's built for maximum sun protection that is feather light and pops off instantly if desired. When i'm not so busy i will try to get a pic up

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I look forward to seeing the pictures and I am sure others do also. I did get a Mantis junior pro+ from Protecht and a Hobie mount. I went directly through Protecht so I could get the white Sunbrella fabric. I will add pictures of the install when I get a chance to do it this week or next, and include some pictures of it's construction.
I am very impressed with it's design and construction thus far, I hope it works as well as I expect. The other thing I like about the Mantis is the portability and the different mounts available, so I am also going to use it with my canal cruiser (trike) once I figure how to mount it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ecd, email sent your way.
Tom